The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default "Full Metal Jousting" Premiere Tonight

Check out the protection for the horses in the video!

http://www.history.com/shows/full-metal-jousting

http://youtu.be/7IPwAgFDv5U
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

how is this show any different than the other jousting show?

their armor looks kind of flimsy to me, like its just layers of reynolds wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    how is this show any different than the other jousting show?
    "Knights of Mayhem" is more the docu-reality genre (like "Pawn Stars" or "American Pickers") featuring the 'pro' jousters who travel the Ren Faire circuit and have their own competitions. They already did jousting (in fact the show's named for the team, Knights of Mayhem, not the other way around) the show is basically the cameras following and presumably some producer-induced drama with things like the Black Knight's rivalry with Charlie amped up for the cameras. "Full Metal Jousting" is, God help us, COMPETITIVE reality TV, in which people who haven't jousted are trained to compete with each other. Could be less scary as I'm sure the producers REALLY didn't want to kill anyone, could be way more as...it's jousting.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs up

Series recording set - check.
    Appropriate adult libation ready - check.
    Remote confiscated from spouse, not to be returned until 10PM CST - check.

It's jousting time!!!!! Cannot WAIT!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I'm watching! Thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    "Knights of Mayhem" is more the docu-reality genre (like "Pawn Stars" or "American Pickers") featuring the 'pro' jousters who travel the Ren Faire circuit and have their own competitions. They already did jousting (in fact the show's named for the team, Knights of Mayhem, not the other way around) the show is basically the cameras following and presumably some producer-induced drama with things like the Black Knight's rivalry with Charlie amped up for the cameras. "Full Metal Jousting" is, God help us, COMPETITIVE reality TV, in which people who haven't jousted are trained to compete with each other. Could be less scary as I'm sure the producers REALLY didn't want to kill anyone, could be way more as...it's jousting.
    Thank you !

If I can get the remote away from hubby, I'll watch.

Boy, if you look at the guys' pictures, some of 'em, they look like they came out of the 1500's, don't they?? What's with the guy named Rope? His parents were kind of short of names that day??
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

DVR set for this and Downton Abbey-thanks for the heads up.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    If I can get the remote away from hubby, I'll watch.
    Negotiated that point already.

Boy, if you look at the guys' pictures, some of 'em, they look like they came out of the 1500's, don't they??
    All part of the image. Maybe they think if they look the part, as well as surviving the matches, it'll help?

What's with the guy named Rope? His parents were kind of short of names that day??
    Somehow, that doesn't sound like a name a parent would bestow, unless it's of the "I'll dangle you at the end of a (rope) if you don't cut that $h!t out!!" variety. Sort of like my most larcenous cat; I'm sure she thinks her name is "Harley Jesus Christ" because she's constantly hearing, "Harley, Jesus Christ will you leave things alone!".

Boy, if you look at the guys' pictures, some of 'em, they look like they came out of the 1500's, don't they??
    All part of the image. Maybe they think if they look the part, as well as surviving the matches, it'll help?
    And because it's TV, we don't have to SMELL them. When someone achieved a ripe old age, they were absolutely telling the truth in ancient times!
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Newsflash! Got the remote from hubby, cancelled his program and now, deep into the Joust.

Love, love, love the horses!!
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

For all you Diana Gabaldon fans out there, tell me Josh wouldn't make one hell of a Jamie Fraser. Serious yum factor.

Now this show is actually good!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post

Somehow, that doesn't sound like a name a parent would bestow, unless it's of the "I'll dangle you at the end of a (rope) if you don't cut that $h!t out!!" variety. Sort of like my most larcenous cat; I'm sure she thinks her name is "Harley Jesus Christ" because she's constantly hearing, "Harley, Jesus Christ will you leave things alone!".
    Lol, like my dogs, they probably think their names are "Dammit dogs!"

Bill Cosby: "I thought my name was Jesus Christ....told all the kids, so I took twenty neighbor kids into the living room to prove it and my dad said 'JESUS CHRIST!'"

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Sort of like my most larcenous cat; I'm sure she thinks her name is "Harley Jesus Christ" because she's constantly hearing, "Harley, Jesus Christ will you leave things alone!".
    Almost every cowdog I've ever had was named "SuzyLoadUp" or "MissyLoadUp" or "SadieLoadUp". Every dog probably thought their surnames were ..."LoadUp". As in, "wait for me to put the tailgate down and MissyLoadUp!"

I love the show so far (about halfway), and I love the well appointed barn!

The horses are in good shape, though a trace clip would have been a good idea to keep them a little cooler. They do seem as though more flat work would be a good and useful thing, as at least one of them has all the flexibility of a telephone pole. Perhaps that's a good thing in jousting.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Bah. I was rather disappointed in the premiering match.

Pitting Josh, a "dinner time" jouster, against Mike, a marine and desert storm vet, wasn't fair. I know they had to start somewhere, but I think that if Mike had had more time to brush up on his flatwork, he could have knocked Josh's socks off.

Josh is 6' 4" and well-muscled. He's a jouster, lots of saddle time. Mike is 6', hugely muscular all through his body, bartender and stunt man, but he looked as though he had a very low center of gravity. JMO, but Mike seemed to me someone who could really take a hit if he had had time to strengthen his core. He almost seemed to twist in the saddle a few times and his legs were very unsteady. I think his lack of riding skill may have affected his hits.

I was *very* disappointed that there were no women. I watched many of the YouTube audition tapes that were sent in and there were more than a few women that applied. So, why weren't any of them chosen? Smacks of sexism to me.

All that said, I'll be following the series

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

I'm interested in where it was filmed. We were on the short
    list, but declined. There wasn't enough insurance in the
    universe for my house and farm to survive that LOL

Filmed in Jackson, Mississippi. I don't know what farm that is, but it's DAMNED impressive!

Oh, and I don't think that Josh was an "unfair" match against Mike. Those of you who watched the whole thing will remember that the smallest guy on the red team, James the showjumper, unhorsed Mike in training. It's not all about brawn.

And sorry, I'm as big a womens' rights advocate as anyone, but I don't know a female rider alive who could deal with the kind of impact it takes to be in a competition like this, against men. Now, if they come out with a women vs. women format, that I'd like to watch.

Can't wait to watch again next week!