The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maybe COTHers can help me find...

METAL stalls. I was in a barn once and the stalls were all metal. Not the metal frames that you slide wood into, but all metal. The top was the usual bars, the bottom solid. I have looked all over and can't find anything like them.

I'm looking to put just one in to finally beat a beaver (boarder) who lives here. She's a PITA. I have metal covering up every edge in the stall and now she's biting the sides of the boards, working and working until she gets a little hole, then constantly trying to expand it. Her owners are great, they pay for the damage, but it's just driving me nuts.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Barnmaster barns have the all metal stalls. Hot in summer though. I boarded my horses in a wooden barn but on the same farm was the 12 stall Barnmaster with neat wash rack and office and bathroom.

If Barnmaster doesn't sell the stalls individually, someone at that company might know where to buy them.

And have you tried "Quit?" If the horse doesn't crib, Quit actually does work in a day or two to stop wood chewing by bucky beavers.

What about putting up those heavy, thick, black stall mats along the walls? It would probably be cheaper and they would be removable if said boarder ever leaves...worth a shot.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Can the metal stalls really take the damage a horse can do? Even if they can't kick through, surely they dent?

I saw a horse kick through an expanded metal (not woven link) stal gate and make a mess of its leg. Fortunately, the BO was *right there* and grabbed her hoof (from the aisle side) and managed to prevent what could've been a life ending injury. Another man was sent OVER stall front to grab her leg from the inside (she kept trying to remove it herself ) and someone else got Ace and pliers to bend away the edges enough to remove her hoof. That ended up being quite the lesson in preparedness, and ongoing veterinary care.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Our stalls are metal and have never had a horse kick thru them.
    Expanded metal is not good for the lower part, unless it is the really heavy duty one and even then, it will have to be polished very well not to have any edges to the cuts.

One local vet has the heavier chain link as stalls, all chain link panels on each side and the front part opens all out, like a 12' chain link gate.
    No horse has ever kicked thru that.

I have seen horses break thru solid wood sides, or kick boards out and get a leg thru and injured.

There are all ways horses can get injured, but that the sides of a stall are "metal" or "wood" or any other, I don't think that is as important as that they are made right for that space.

There are stories of horses getting legs hung on vertical grills and we will never use those, but there are millions using them without accident.

If you only need one stall and can't find a commercially made one, look for a local welder, show them some pictures and see what they would charge to make one like you want.

That's a good idea Bluey, checking with a local welder. I will aso check out Barnmaster. We've tried everything with her short of a muzzle. She's just a diehard chewer. We've done quitt, pepper spray, I even tried raplast. She's like the little kid who sucks his thumb even though there's stuff painted on it. She either knows eventually she will be through the bad taste or she just doesn't care.

As far as the horse kicking thru the stall, the stalls I saw were super heavy duty. I don't think anyone would have a snowball's chance in he** of kicking through them. This mare is not a kicker anyway. She just wants to eat her way out, lol.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Metal stalls are pretty unpleasant for horses.

Why are you keeping a horse in a stall when she so clearly doesn't want to be there? Isn't the animal's happiness or well-being of any interest?

I have a barnmaster barn, well ventilated, bars between stalls, not unpleasant for the horses. It does not get hotter than the local wood barns. I have had kickers and cribbers over the years, a few slight dents in the metal, otherwise looks great.

Nightsong, This is a boarder who pays for a stall. She is outside as much as possible, pretty much from sunup to sundown, and in fact, wants to come in at night. She is fine until morning, but as soon as I feed, she wants back out. The problem is, her pasture companion eats a lot slower than her and if I turn her out first, companion won't eat. He HAS to eat, he arrived here last October approximately 200 pounds underweight and is only now looking like he's not a starvation case. She does all the damage in about an hour in the morning.

As far as metal stalls being uncomfortable, ???. I don't recall in my 50+ years of horse ownership seeing a horse laying down on a stall wall. I take great offense at your suggestion that I don't care about the horse's feelings. I charge a lot more than others in my area and have a waiting list of people who want to bring their horses to me. That is because I DO care about the horses and do whatever I can for them, whether physically or mentally to keep them healthy and happy. Perhaps you should take a look at my website or better yet, come here for a visit before shooting your mouth off about people and situations you know nothing about. >:[

Damrock Farm

Well, I got a reply from Barnmaster. $5895 for ONE STALL (but that does include shippin, lol)! Um, no thanks. I can replace a lot of boards for $6000

Damrock Farm

Can you safely line the wood walls with sheet metal?
    Quarry Rat

Mine are lined with aluminum flashing. You can get it at the hardware store. I used the 2' width all over the interior. Placed it horizontally, screwed it down with an overlap. Helps to have 2 people when installing but a lot of it I did myself. Looks like a diner but they don't chew it!

I have a 24 stall MD metal barn (and would NEVER EVER EVER recommend the company by the way). The barn is great in theory- company sucks. The stalls were well over $5k apiece 10yrs ago. So might not be an option for you.

I would talk to a welder about having some kind of sheet put over your walls. He'd have to add end caps top/bottom/sides so there are no exposed edges. Maybe put some balls, empty jugs, etc in her stall to occupy her.

I had a wood chewer in my old barn - she would literally chew the walls down in days. I put a muzzle on her and started her on GG. She was a racehorse and only in my barn for 30 day rest layup but geez - she was a mess.

Diablo, Yeah, BM wants almost $6000 for one stall, way more thanI am willing to spend. This mare is a retired TB racer, then broodmare. She too, was a mess when she first got here, an EXTREME stallwalker, weaver, wall-kicker, you name it, she did it. I'm sure it's leftover from her racehorse days, she's one of those who can't handle 24/7 in a stall and she spent several years living like that. She was also extremely headshy to the point that I didn't take her halter off for the first month she was here for fear I wouldn't be able to get it back on again and god forbid if you tried to touch her ears. She would run backwards and/or rear, to the point of almost flipping over. That we've fixed. Her owners (the type who admire from afar, but pay the bills on time) are thrilled. The horse is 20 years old and they've NEVER been able to pet her until now. The chewing is the only thing we can't get a handle on. I like the idea of lining the walls with sheet metal. I actually have metal angle iron on the corners of everything already so I could just remove those and replace them over the edges.

Can the metal stalls really take the damage a horse can do? Even if they can't kick through, surely they dent?
    The stalls that BM makes are plywood in the middle of two sheets of heavy guage metal. I know the stalls that I saw were SUPER heavy duty, I'm quite sure even a draft horse couldn't kick thru them. IMO, they looked much safer than any wooden stalls. I've seen horses kick through 2" rough sawn oak like it was a toothpick. I can handle dents.
    Last edited by Damrock Farm; Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Fixing finger farts. :P

Damrock Farm

I have a horse that needs his companion nearby so he'll finish eating. Can't you just tie her someplace where he can see her until he finishes? Thats what I do.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I tried letting her out in the aisle yesterday while he ate, and that worked, BUT I have ten mares foaling out here this year. I know when they have newborns at their side, they are NOT going to appreciate her wandering around in front of them. I don't even know if she ties, lol. I've never had occasion to try, but I think that's maybe a good option. I could maybe tie her in the stall and see how she does. Then I could just protect the area that she can reach. Hmmmmm...

Damrock Farm

I'd use stall mates or something other than metal. Metal horse barns frighten the heck out of me!

I was just in a barn the other day that had a pool liner material covering all the wood in a stall. It was even designed to look like wood. It was a think vinyl material that the horses couldn't kick through or eat through.

Might be worth a try!

ok, some alternate short term solutions.

My committed wood chewer loved all the regular stuff - hotter the better. However, she HATES the taste of soapy water and the feel of vaseline - cheap and easy to try.

Also, my youngsters have big logs in their fields (and the used up christmas tree) and seem to like playing with them, now and then chewing - even though they have each other, hay and grass, and other toys to play with.
    Is it possible to put some safe and "yummy" wood within safe reach of this horse? A pine untreated 2x4 is super cheap.

At 20yrs old it is hard to change those behaviors, especially if they are anxiety driven; she may injure herself trying to chew on metal or pick another annoying vice.
    You know her and your situation best, but sometimes managing a habit safely is easier then fixing after the "fix".
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

You may be onto something. I do know that it's anxiety driven. She's fine all night (I actually put the foaling cam in her stall for awhile to watch her), it's only after I feed when she knows she's going out soon that she starts to chew. I hate her wrecking the stall though. And I know from experience that she has a whole host of bad habits that she could easily go back to.

I did stumble upon a solution as far as protecting the stall. Just today I ordered some expanded metal sheeting. I just got a small piece to so that I can see/feel it to see if I think it'll work. If so, I can do the entire stall for less than $700, including shipping. What I'm thinking is to protect the structure of the stall, but give her a sacrificial piece that she can go to town on and just replace it periodically. That way, we'll both be happy.

Damrock Farm