The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff - Bareback Dressage - Intermediare I Test

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Isn't that cool?! We were just talking about starting a bareback dressage movement http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showth...=339882&page=2

I want to know more about Candace Clemens!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Oh I linked in right away, but since I didn't know her they wouldn't let me contact her. Best I did was I sent a tweet.

Paula

I got an email via LinkedIn which called my attention to this discussion. I have had so much amazing, magical success over the years in riding without a saddle occasionally -- especially my upper level horses -- to test the "basics." If a horse is not forward, straight, with total relaxation of the back and, ultimately, obedience to the lightest aids -- the rider will discover this quickly. And -- even more quickly -- correct it, and the horse will help his rider to do this. My FEI horse has taught so many, many riders. From rank beginners to most advanced, she quickly teaches a rider how to better feel her back, and find her center of balance. It's very exciting. The only down side is that sometimes it is hard to go back to riding with a saddle. ;-) Of note -- I have found that a suede bareback pad with a breast plate (to prevent the pad from slipping back) may help most riders adjust to bareback and provide a little extra glue. All my best to this discussion thread. Happy to share my reflections if anyone has questions about how and why I "discovered" bareback dressage as a type of "yoga" for horse and rider, and an opportunity to let your upper level horse teach you. (of note -- if your horse has never been mounted bareback before, please have someone hold him/her for you, head down w/ a treat, the first time you climb up. Funny back story on this.)

Very cool!

candace, thanks!

How about bareback dressage for the lower level horse and rider? I don't exactly have a schoolmaster available, just me and my TL/First Level horse. She is pretty comfy bareback and I agree about using a (real not fake) suede pad.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I'm so glad you found us, Candace! I have an untrained (in dressage) perch/stb cross. He's been ridden bareback, but not by me except for like a minute. I have a BF Western bareback pad http://www.bestfriendequine.com/inde...id=512&popup=1 that has a neoprene back.

Do you have any exercises you suggest to bring us both along?

Welcome to COTH!

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by candaceclemens View Post
    I got an email via LinkedIn which called my attention to this discussion.
    Welcome and Glad you were able to check the discussion out! Look fwd to any tips you may be able to provide.

Stacie

How fun!!!! My movement is growing!! :-D :-D What a great video to demonstrate a saddle is only a tool...not a necessity for dressage. Has anyone found out if a saddle is actually REQUIRED for competitions? I'd love to know that. I assume but as someone pointed out on the other thread, it may not actually be required!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Crap...just found it. It IS required in competition. So...the movement continues!! No saddles required in competition! If we can do it bareback...why not?!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Indeed Keg; your movement is catching on.

I'm hoping to do schooling shows bareback. They're not official right? I can still get feedback on both of us, and who knows, it might catch on there too. Nothing wrong with a bit of subversion right?

Paula

Schooling shows are a great place to 'play by your own rules' when it comes to this sort of thing.

I believe the original Ansur saddle came out of a similar situation. One day, in frustration with horse's performance/saddle fit issues, trainer pulled off saddle and tried riding around bareback. Horse was immediately 'better.' Thus the originial treeless Ansur.

It is good to see someone (not a teenager) doing 'serious' work in an alternative way. I know some middle aged women DQs who need to see this video!
    Last edited by Isabeau Z Solace; Feb. 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM.

Okay that's twice I've heard Ansur in a bareback conversation. So this time I went to the website to check it out. You're right; Isabeau, the whole thing started when, out of frustration, the rider took off the saddle and rode bareback. However she could not ride bareback in shows so invested in making a saddle that looked like a saddle, but rode like bareback (for the horse)! Ansur was born. I'm intrigued and have bookmarked the site. If Fella does indeed go better with the bareback pad I'm going to consider Ansur as the answer.

I'll let you know.

Paula

Hey,
    I don't want to get into a whole treeless vs. treed conversation, but this is what I was going through about 5 years ago when I got my draft x. She went so much better bareback! So I invested in an ansur (just before they came out with the newer models like the excel & elite, darn!) and have been very happy. I have tried various treed saddles on her (when I read too much and think I must be hurting her back with the treeless), and I keep coming back to my good old ansur chic (classic w/ suede seat). She just goes better in it, more forward, bigger strides. For those of you who like the bareback feel, ansur and other treeless might be the way to go. My biggest criticism of ansur is that the company should have more of a trial program for their saddles. You can't always get a hold of the one you would want to try without actually ordering it, although they do give you one week. Just my $.02...
    "Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."

Lazer saddles is also making a treeless or almost-treeless saddle now. I sat in it at Devon. Used to have an Ansur but it left some things to be desired. It was one of their earlier ones.

Jeremy Beale who owns Lazer is really experienced. I am riding my mare in one of their adjustable-tree saddles now and she likes it a lot.

They're all quite interesting but they're so darned expensive! I don't know about you, but I can't drop 3k on a saddle.

Paula

I'm ok with the concept of the Ansur, but last time I looked at them(10 years ago), the quality was sub-par for something that cost that much.

I like to ride bareback, on the wider horses. Not so much on the high withered TBs.

I got a similar feeling to an Ansur in a plain flapped monoflap saddle. I liked the Ansur but it doesn't fit every horse and on a propane tank horse you roll right off the side.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    ... on a propane tank horse you roll right off the side.
    I enjoyed the vicarious sensation-
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.