The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Funky smell from nose?? UPDATE - gasp!!

Drainage is clear to slightly white but minimal/moderate. No temp, no change in appetite, manure etc. No new horse in barn, UTD on all vaccs/worming etc.

Nose smells like an abcess. Can it be a sinus infection?
    Last edited by MoonWitch; Feb. 21, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Default smell

we had an old horse that had a tumour in the sinus cavity. they drilled a hole in his forehead to drain when it was leaking, smell was so disgusting I had to tell the owners to bring the pony back to their barn as my clients were complaining

There was a mare at the barn I ride at that had a similar situation. Terribly smelly nasal discharge. She had a bad tooth which I believe had abscessed, and also had a sinus infection. They did antibiotics for a long time, with no significant improvment, so she went to the clinic for sinus surgery. She's back at the barn, but still has smelly nasal discharge and is still on antibiotics. Last I heard, they were going to look at her mouth/teeth again, in case teeth needed to be removed. Good luck finding the cause and fixing it!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I've seen shafts of hay splinter and go into the nose...making small pockets of bleech

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Teeth or sinus infection!

But wouldn't you think an infection would cause a fever? Temp tonight was 99.3 and with no other symptoms like being off feed...
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

There is a horse where I board with a sinus tumor. He always has a runny nose that smells bad. They are trying to figure out the best course of treatment now.

My girl had a sinus infection.....moderate yellow discharge with smell..no fever......we did xrays found nothing wrong with teeth ......treated as a primary sinus infections......antibiotics for 6 weeks........it returned but no discharge just a very minimal smell on and off and a snuffling noise.....I had the chiropractor out she did a poll adjustment.......the next day she had a foul discharge that lasted about 3 days.....we were just about ready to put her on antibiotics when on the 4th day is disappeared and has never returned.

Dalemma

An infection won't always cause a temp. I would suspect teeth or a sinus infection or tumor. Have the vet out next week.

Thanks guys - will definitely call on Monday.

I just dealt with something similar...my horse has been on eye meds for 4 months due to a corneal ulcer - side effect from cryosurgery for squamous cell ca. He started with a blood tinged discharge from the nostril on the same side as the eye problem. My first thoughts were cancer spreading to the sinus or nasal cavity. In just a matter of a day or two the stink from his nose got unbearable, so I started him on Penicillin. I treat his eye 2x a day and on the second day of the Pen I noticed a piece of hay in the mucous hanging in his nose as I administered the eye meds. I got a hold of the hay and started gently pulling...it was a 14" sprig of ceressa hay way up his nose!!! I continued the antibiotic for two more days, but the smell was gone the next day and the nose has been clear since.
    My advice is to not get freaked out until you have a vet check your horse. It might be something simple.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

We very recently had this with one of our donkeys. She had quit eating (HUGE red flag in donkeys) and had a discharge from both nostrils with an awful odor. No fever.

The vet found a broken and infected tooth. We removed it and put her on antibiotics. She is eating and wrestling with us to administer the antibiotics so I think she's getting better.
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

In Oct. 2010, our mare started a very smelly discharge. The whole barn stunk and my BO and other boarders were wonderful though, no one complained. It was an abscessed tooth which was removed, antibiotics for ever it seemed.
    She started a white/yellowish discharge from the same nostril a few weeks ago. It only happens if she has been ridden (hacks). The BO keeps checking her every day and sees nothing. I was there today. Nothing. We are trying to get the vet to look at her and maybe scope when she comes for teeth for other horses next week. There is no smell this time.

I knew a horse that smelled really, really horrible, and this would really scare me. It was that dreadful abscess smell; it was probably in her sinuses or in her teeth. When she nickered for her dinner, her breath was overpowering. She was treated with oral antibiotics but died shortly thereafter.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

What a timely subject. My boarder has had a nasal discharge off and on for the last four months. Three rounds of antibiotics, a weeks worth of flushing with saline and antibiotics followed with a ten day course of antibiotics. And yes, the discharge and smell is back. Radiographs taken before the flushing showed no tumor or abscess. Just a little 'fuzziness' along the teeth roots. The horse is 29 and healthy otherwise. No temp, lethargy or loss of appetite. Sigh.
    Vet coming back tomorrow for round twelve..........
    R.I.P. my sweet boy Tristan
    36 years old, but I was hoping you'd live forever
    5/5/75-7/5/11

Quote Originally Posted by the_other_mother View Post
    Teeth or sinus infection!
    Several months back a friend had this same thing with her gelding.
    Mucus from one nostril and smelled like a sewer.
    He had a cracked tooth that had to be removed along with a sinus infection.
    They ended up putting a hole in his head with a tube coming out so she could irrigate the sinus cavity and loooong term antibotics.
    Thankfully he is fine now.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Oh Jeez!! Well, hoping it's a sinus infection that will resolve with antibiotics. Calling first thing in the AM and will update!

We had a smelly problem a few years back. runny nose off and on, fever off and on, appetite good.

-teeth checked, nothing
    -treated for sinus infection, just didn't get better, kept spiking fever every few days
    -gutteral pouches scoped, nothing

-Took horse to clinic for full workup. Turns out we had a lung abcess and pneumonia. YIKES. $100 per day for meds for 6 weeks. + all the diagnostic x-rays and ultrasound (maybe the 'other one'). He's now the $12K 'freebie'.

Im not saying that every smell is an abcess, but it is not something to mess with. It's amazing what they can have going on in there.

My friend had a colt with an abscessed tooth, smelled awful but no obvious signs of fever or infection, just slight nasal discharge and stinky breath.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Update please? Hope you horse is doing better. The mare I spoke of in an earlier post is back at the clinic for surgery #2. This time they are going to remove the tooth. Then they hope everything will heal up correctly so she can have a more normal life. Right now she's on a no hay diet, and is not very happy. She's a great horse, and they are doing everything possible for her.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?