The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks for all the ideas and congrats. I talked with a gal at the pet shop who told me to empty 1/2 of the tank out and move them in that with the filter going. We have a power converter from the semi, so hope to be able to do it that way.
    I spent a few hours at the farm today, meeting with the fencer, and got a lot done.
    Electric will be on by morning; entire property will be brush-hogged and my new fence will be up by the end of next week.
    My household movers get our stuff on the 29th or 30th and the horses are picked up on the first.
    My friend is bringing our dogs, cats, fish, gates and cattle panels all in her trailer. My son & I are riding with her.
    She is going through a real rough time right now, and she wants to get away for awhile. Trip to Fla sounded good to her.
    I can not wait for all this to be done and over with!
    Pictures soon. TB

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool! Congrats on the place!

How is your husband?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

They put him on a new medicine that is suppose to keep his heart beating normally. So far it seems to be working - his last EKG looked really good according to the Dr, and that was after being on the meds for only 1 week,
    Thank you for asking.
    TB

Oh, this is so exciting - congrats!

Best to you while you're handling everything - as you probably already know, moving is at or near the top of the charts of worst stress factors. And combined with your husband's heart issue, you have your hands full.

Look forward to being out on that porch or lawn chair, and looking over your domain.
    Hoping all goes as smoothly as possible from here on in. Hats off to you.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Default My stress level peaked Sunday night

When I was woke up by my phone. A friend up north said "Your barn is on fire" did your son call you?
    Let me tell you - that is a waker upper for sure!
    I tried calling son; no answer...
    Called a friend who is a cop in the nearby town and she said " no, it isn't your barn, it's your house"
    That is when complete hysterics hit! I begged her to go get him as he wasn't answering the phones. She said she'd check on him.
    I called another friend who lives about 20 miles away and frantically told her what I'd been told. She jumped in her truck and broke all speed limits to get there. Meanwhile, I looked up the co sheriff's non emergency number, gave the dispatcher my name & address and told her what i'd been told, and that my son was in the house.
    She told me that it was in fact the barn on fire - but all the horses were safe (gotta love rural folks - they care about the critters) and my son was safe - out helping the firemen.
    The cop friend then called me back and explained that someone had misinformed her that it was the house. She told the deputy there to have son call me - I was in meltdown.
    Now, I never once thought to text him and ask if he was ok, never crossed my mind...
    My speeding friend got there as the fire depts were leaving and she assured me he was fine. He was going to check all the fenceline, then he'd call me.
    Finally, an hour later I heard his voice. I can't begin to explain the relief I felt..
    Turns out, lightening struck the ungrounded lightening rod on the north end of the 40 ft tall 60 ft long 80 yr old wood barn.
    Caught the entire north wall on fire, but thankfully it had rained a lot and the wood was soaked, plus the high winds were out of the south.
    A passing motorist pulled up to the gates and layed on his horn while dialing 911. My son went out there and driver told him about the fire. Son called 911 also, and within minutes, both fire departments were there. They had it out in about 30 minutes.
    He was calm, cool and collected. Me - not at all.
    I know my heart must be in good shape - I did not suffer a heart attack throughout this mess.
    I can't wait to get out of there for good!!!
    Horses are picked up on 5/1, we pull out on 5/1.
    Good riddance.
    No more barns for me, ever.
    Last edited by TimeBandit; Apr. 18, 2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Oh MY GOD!!! I'm SO glad everyone was safe, but you ARE going to have a heart attack! Holy moly.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

When it rains, it pours.

So glad no one was hurt.

And CBS barns are a GREAT choice for So FL.

Safe journey to everyone.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Default Sorry no pictures yet, but oh what an update....

Please let me preface this by saying that I wouldn't trade this farm for anything. Now to share the adventure:
    4/30- auto transport picks up my truck to bring it down.
    5/1- Drexler arrives to pick up my horses. All load except 2 mares. They HAVE been trailered many times in the past, but only in a stock trailer. The semi scared the dickens out of them!
    After numerous attempts without any luck, i called the vet out to give them a little happy juice. Well, it did not work. By now, the others were beginning to get ansey, so with heavy heart I sent Drexler on their way.
    I called a friend who is a trainer, and had her bring her stock trailer to the farm where she got them to load inside 30 minutes. They are spending a couple months with her so she can break out my 4 yr old. Then she will bring them down.
    That fiasco caused our leaving to be delayed, and we ended up pulling out at 7am the following morning.
    My son, our 17 yr old heeler and myself made the trip in just under 27 hours. We stopped quite a bit for the old fella to get to stretch his legs.
    Sadly, because the trucks' aux power quit working, my fish did not survive.
    The horses were already here and happily settled in when I got here. Thank God.
    Then the fun began- the central air unit froze up due to a busted pipe; hubby tried to get the truck closed to the patio doors to unload, when he almost got stuck in the sand, and in rocking the truck - he drove over one of the water hydrants and broke it off. Yep, a real mess.
    But wait... it gets better.! Mr handy then decides to drive around the house (why - I have NO clue) when he drops the rear duals of the truck into the septic tank
    Oh yes he did.....
    Mad as a wet hen I was.
    Just think of the worst language you ever heard. I said it then.
    Thankfully, the rental company sent out a tow truck at no cost to us, and they DID get it out.
    So, now we have been here all of 2 weeks. We have a brand new central air unit, a brand new septic tank & field. 2 new doors are on their way- special order due to both opening out; new washer & dryer; carpet is being installed tomorrow. We are getting a new 50 gallon hot water heater on Monday. Had the screen room rescreened so i can enjoy the early morning coffee with the horses.
    Now, I got a call tonight that my other truck might need a radiator along with ball joints.... and, my 34 yr old son and his family might have to come stay with us for a month or two.
    Yeah, it has been an adventure. An expensive one at that, but on the positive side, everything new has a 10 yr or more warranty, and I did get to buy a new stainless side by side/ bottom freezer. Most of all, it is ours. Bought and paid for.
    I will die here. Never moving again. Never never never!!
    Oh, when my truck was delivered, the hauler picked a place right by a bar - one guy came out the door and told me I shouldn't have a truck like that - it was too much for a "little lady". Ha! I had her growling as I pulled away.