The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: Pelham Curb chain

How do you run your pelham's curb chain. Straight from hook to hook or through the bit rings?
    I was always taught to go behind the bit rings straight from curb hook to curb hook.

Here is the only picture I can find with the curb through the bit rings and it isn't a great picture.
    http://www.ukshires.net/bits.htm#CURBS

I have asked the rider why they run it through the bit rather than straight from hook to hook and the response has always been because my trainer told me to run it this way.

Are both ways correct? If so, in what situation would you use each application?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

When I switched barns the new BM told me to run it through the rings so that the shanks don't flip up? I had never heard of doing it that way or seen anything like happen though.

I feel like the movement of the bit would have some weird added effect on the curb chain with it run through the bit loops. If you are worried about the cheeks flipping get a lip strap or learn to ride with some contact (the only way i can see the cheeps flipping is on no contact??)

through the bit rings which is why the curb hook has that little 90 degree angle bend so it will fit well.

I have often wondered why anyone would run it through the rings. I go hook to hook. I don't like how the newer pelhams have their hooks configured and this must be why they do them this way.
    ~~Some things are true whether you believe them or not~~

*Member of the "I hate the crest release" clique*

Hook to hook, and make sure that the chain is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    Hook to hook, and make sure that the chain is flat.
    This. Saddle seat and hunt seat, I've never seen it done any other way.

The whole idea of running it through the bit rings certainly makes me see why people who do it that way NEED a lip strap though!! If you do it the way the bit was designed to be used - and make sure the hooks themselves lie flat - you really, truly don't need one so much.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Hook to hook. What happens to the action of the bit if you put the chain through the snaffle ring - in a full bridle you'd make the snaffle useless wouldn't you?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Running the chain through the bit rings makes the curb chain a little less severe than running directly from hook to hook. Some horses notice the difference, and others don't. I personally don't like the look or feel of one run through the rings, so I choose to pad the chain or switch it out for a leather curb strap instead.

Wouldn't running it through the snaffle bit rings cause it to always have some curb action even when using just the snaffle rein? It just seems like it would make it more integrated to the snaffle rather than just working with the curb rein.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Not really, as the snaffle action is straight back towards the rider's hand. It's the twist of the shank when the curb rein is pulled that engages the chain. I suppose if you had a pelham with a very "tall" attachment above the bit to the cheek piece of the bridle, you'd get some leverage even with the snaffle rein (like a Baucher), but for the most part, it doesn't really twist.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    This. Saddle seat and hunt seat, I've never seen it done any other way.

The whole idea of running it through the bit rings certainly makes me see why people who do it that way NEED a lip strap though!! If you do it the way the bit was designed to be used - and make sure the hooks themselves lie flat - you really, truly don't need one so much.
    This. I've never even seen someone run it through the rings. I wouldn't do that on any other bit that takes a curb chain.