The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sport Horse in Hand at Arab shows

Can anyone direct me to a good source of information on what /how to do a sport horse in hand class at an arab show? I have watched it at Dressage at Lexington, but wasn't really paying attention. I am not sure if we will dabble in it or not, but they do offer it in conjunction with the dressage at the breed show this spring. Thanks in advance.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I've done it and really enjoyed it. Teach your horse to stand in an "open stance" and to have good manners walking and trotting in hand in a snaffle bridle. Make sure you can really run with your horse trotting so you are not hindering it at all! Google Arabian Sport Horse In Hand and you will come up with a lot of info.

You still do a walk triangle and trot... Its not different at all from most in hand

You want tracking up at the trot, over stride at the walk...

Same stuff

The in hand champions Ive seen were extremely lofty and well built... They still bring a USEF/DF judge so if youve done open in hand or inspections then you plenty of experience
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Practice ALOT. The most important thing to do is teach your horse to stand up properly in an open stance, this is much easier to do at home then first time in the arena.

Also practice the trot and turning.

Preparation can win or lose you the in hand class.

Having said that its great fun
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

What is open stance?

http://www.arabianhorses.org/competi...Story/Vol6.asp

The last picture on the left bottom of this page is how we stood ours.

Is that open stance?

Oh yeah its the leg place before the other in back right?
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

My boy went Top 8 at Sporthorse Nationals. Your small triangle you walk down the first line - turn and then extend the walk-they want to see fluid movement and a relaxed hip, the walk the third line, the larger triangle you trot the first line and then extend the trot through the back of the triangle, if you can entend your gait to match your horse it works good, then back to a normal trot up the final line. When you get back to te judge after you are done with the triangles, bring your horse to a slow stop, then stand him up again. You want a nice even stance on all four hooves. THey are looking for the manners of the horse, they shouldn't throw their head in the air when you make your turns, they should turn off you body not invade your space, you will need a snaffle bit bridle, a lead and the piece that you put on the bit and attach your bridle to it. Most judges don;t like you to use the reins of the bridle. Id you go out on the Arabian Horse Association website and look up sporthorse in hand they have a lot of good pointers. Make sure you practice a lot.
    Last edited by ArabX3; Feb. 12, 2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    My boy went Top 8 at Sporthorse Nationals. Your small triangle you walk down the first line - turn and then extend the trot -they want to see fluid movement and a relaxed hip, the walk the third line, the larger triangle you trot the first line and then extend the trot through the back of the triangle, if you can entend your gait to match your horse it works good, then back to a normal trot up the final line. When you get back to te judge after you are done with the triangles, bring your horse to a slow stop, then stand him up again. You want a nice even stance on all four hooves. THey are looking for the manners of the horse, they shouldn't throw their head in the air when you make your turns, they should turn off you body not invade your space, you will need a snaffle bit bridle, a lead and the piece that you put on the bit and attach your bridle to it. Most judges don;t like you to use the reins of the bridle. Id you go out on the Arabian Horse Association website and look up sporthorse in hand they have a lot of good pointers. Make sure you practice a lot.

Errrrrr. you WALK the small triangle.

Not extend the trot.

The Arab shows do NOT use an Arabian Carded judge, their use either a USDF or Working Hunter Judge, or both - at the Sport Horse Nationals. One shows just as if showing In Hand at a USDF show. I would suggest using voice commands to help the horse understand things.

The walk triangle's second side, with the horse in profile to the judge, is where one says "Walk On," in a firm voice.

The trot triangle is a bit more complex, as you want to make sure the horse will go from the walk to a nice trot without having to be tugged along, or scared by a swishing whip. The turn from side one to side two won't go well if the horse can't slow up and won't allow you to push it to the right. Then you want the extended trot, with a much longer stride. You also need to collect the horse, for the turn onto the third side of the triangle. We use "Trot" for the regular trot, "Easy," for the two turns when the horse has to slow down, and a strong "TROT," for the extended trot.

And practice running. My daughter showed our gelding for us at the 2011 Sport Horse Nationals, she'd been jogging and sprinting every day for about 10 minutes for several months, to get in shape for the running. It was worth it, he was Top Ten - standing fifth in points - out of almost 50 horses.

Try it, you'll have fun if you can run. I don't even try, I sit in the stands and grin at all my young friends out there gasping for breath!

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    What is open stance?

http://www.arabianhorses.org/competi...Story/Vol6.asp

The last picture on the left bottom of this page is how we stood ours.

Is that open stance?

Oh yeah its the leg place before the other in back right?
    an open stance is so that the judge can see all four legs from either side of the horse. The left bottom is more the "ärabian" halter stance. The class is mostly on manners and conformation anyway most judges would accept the "arabian" stance. I even had judges ask me to stand my horse square in sport horse in hand.

Definatly practice practice practice... try and get your horse to move its feet by you moving as little as possible. My horse is trained to move each foot by me looking at in and i will lean either slightly back (if i want him to move the foot forward) or forward (if i want him to move the foot back)