The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dentist or Vet ??

Horse has always been floated by the same person, never had any issues. Recently moved some distance and was floated by the new barn's floater. Not long after, horse drooled excessivley when ridden, thought it was slobbers from new clovery hay. Now horse has started trying to evade the bit when ridden by raising her head. Mild salivation also. I have owned this horse her entire life and she has never done this. Not sure whether to call vet or a different floater.

Oh, the can of worms you are about to open! [edit]

Generally speaking if I have a routine float on a horse with no particular issues I go with our local equine dentist, who does a wonderful job and does not need to use sedation, ever, he's so skilled and patient.

Generally speaking if I have an issue, a problem, or something I want checked out very specifically I will have the vet out to do a good EXAM under sedation. This is something the dentist might not be able to do as well with the restrictions on providing sedation.

The vet and equine dentist I use collaborate quite frequently, and have great respect for one another. Their skills in routine things are basically the same, but the scope of each one's practice is not the same.

In your case I would have a vet out who has an interest in teeth (if you can find one) to do a good and comprehensive exam under sedation. If the problem can be corrected at the same time, that's a bonus. After this problem is corrected, you can look for another equine dentist or ask your vet for a recommendation or if he/she enjoys doing dental work.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Click here before you buy.

[edit]

If you have a vet that specializes in teeth that is always your best option. Then they can do a good, complete oral exam under sedation. Honestly, regardless of who floated the horse last, there are very few things that will make a horse drool post float. How long ago was the horse floated? If it is eating fine, you may want to just give it a bit more time.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

[edit]

OP, if this were my horse, I would try to find a vet that specializes in dentistry, in my area they are few and far between. It may come down to hauling the horse to a clinic for good quality radiographs in case the floater / dentist damaged a tooth (ie. cracked a tooth, horse may have a tooth abscess).

Delta nailed it [edit]

OP, I'd go with a vet specializing in dentals as well. Wouldn't hurt to have them take a peek, that's for sure.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Our vet does our horses' dental work....

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Unfortunately there are a lot of people on this board that make a lot of ignorant comments about this subject! Those that think they know everything and need to correct everyone about everything.

If you have a vet that specializes in teeth that is always your best option. Then they can do a good, complete oral exam under sedation. Honestly, regardless of who floated the horse last, there are very few things that will make a horse drool post float. How long ago was the horse floated? If it is eating fine, you may want to just give it a bit more time.
    A bad float can make a horse drool post float.......I've been there done that with and "equine dentist"........drool can be a sign of trauma to the mouth.....in my case the drool was in very large amounts and she could not eat or drink.....had to have my vet out for an emergency visit......

In the OP's case I would very much think it could be the float given the information she has given us.

Dalemma

I would want my prior floater to see her mouth, if that is possible, or perhaps get the vet out.

Does her mouth have an off smell? Any trouble with eating?

I am fortunate in that my vet does my horse's teeth. He does a ton of teeth (it's a specialty of his) so I'm not sure how you would best proceed. I do think I'd want the vet to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post
    A bad float can make a horse drool post float.......I've been there done that with and "equine dentist"........drool can be a sign of trauma to the mouth.....in my case the drool was in very large amounts and she could not eat or drink.....had to have my vet out for an emergency visit......

In the OP's case I would very much think it could be the float given the information she has given us.

Dalemma
    I'm sure it can happen, just not sure what the floater would have done to make it happen. In thousands n thousands of floats I've never seen it happen. It always came back to something the horse got into such as in the hay or a weed or something. But anything can happen with horses!

We removed some side commentary not related to the OT to keep the thread on track. Let's please keep it there.

Thanks ~
    Mod 1

My vet has always done my horses teeth (for past 15 years)and Ive never had an issue, they dont sedate unless needed...but I know there are equine dentists too. My horses have never showed any signs of tooth problems or inability to chew properly...so assume vet is doing a good job.

Like others have said - call a vet who specializes in dentistry. I see that you are in Massachusetts - anywhere close to the NH seacoast?? I use TNT Equine in Dover, NH and one of their specialties is dentistry.

http://www.tntequine.com/equine-dentistry.html

Dr. Demi Erickson is great at what she does - she's worked on both of my horses and I've been very happy w/ the results.

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by qhwpmare View Post
    Horse has always been floated by the same person, never had any issues. Recently moved some distance and was floated by the new barn's floater. Not long after, horse drooled excessivley when ridden, thought it was slobbers from new clovery hay. Now horse has started trying to evade the bit when ridden by raising her head. Mild salivation also. I have owned this horse her entire life and she has never done this. Not sure whether to call vet or a different floater.
    Insufficient information to form a conclusion.

But if you are concerned that you've got a mouth issue then call the vet. They diagnose and treat things. If the vet feels that a re-float is required then you can have the vet do it or have somebody else do it.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I would have the vet out . Then the vet can refer a good area dentist if it is needed.

Here we have the best situation possible- a vet married to a dentist! They come out together to do the teeth. If you can find this situation it is optimal....but I doubt it happens too often!

There are bad equine dentists, there are bad vets, there are bad vets who specialize in dentistry, there are bad farriers, bad BOs, bad boarders...you get the picture. Find someone competent. Usually easier said than done.
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

I have been using a great equine dentist for the last year. As an A show hunter rider, it's not exactly normal or what everyone else does, but my horse went from "scanning" for grass at shows, which I thought was a nervous thing, to being able to eat grass and tear at the root, which he has never been able to do. Turns out his scanning for grass was because he could not eat the short grass at horse shows. The next show I brought him to, he ate in the same spot for 20 minutes. I am now a big believer and big fan. She didn't even have to sedate him the first time, and he is an OTTB. Many other things I noticed, but that was the biggest and I was just amazed after having him for 5 years and him suddenly able to eat grass.

If you're interested, I could give you her website and you could see if she knows anyone in your area who is as talented as she is.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    I'm sure it can happen, just not sure what the floater would have done to make it happen. In thousands n thousands of floats I've never seen it happen. It always came back to something the horse got into such as in the hay or a weed or something. But anything can happen with horses!
    Well in my case it was the worst case of incompetence my vet has ever seen.....she had never seen so much trauma inflicted due to a dental float......so it does happen and it happens more than you might think.......my horse was not his first victim.....but hopefully she will be his last.

Dalemma

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post
    Well in my case it was the worst case of incompetence my vet has ever seen.....she had never seen so much trauma inflicted due to a dental float......so it does happen and it happens more than you might think.......my horse was not his first victim.....but hopefully she will be his last.

Dalemma
    Oh wow, sorry to hear that. I wasn't thinking along the lines of trauma induced by the person doing the float. I have heard a couple horror stories of blood dripping everywhere from people that hand float in an attempt to get the hooks in the back but have never seen one of those "butchers" in action but that is a good point. Hopefully whoever did that to your horse got put out of business.

Unfortunately not everyone is good at their job. We hope they are and do our homework, but sometimes....

That's awful, Dalemma. Hopefully that's not what happened to the OP's horse.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."