The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much for 60x120 barn?

Just curious if any of you know the price of a 60x120 pole barn with 14' cieling. Just materials,NOT labor.

I was quoted $47,000 at one place. Just checked another place further north and they told me $26,500 for the same size barn

Needless to say, I drove by where I got the $47k quote and they are no longer in business.

For a "barn structure" I'd plan on $15-$30/ft. sq. The variation will be in the amount of site preparation, the quality of the structure, the cost to erect, etc. On top of the structure cost you'll have the costs of "amenities" like water, electricity, stall, tack/feed room, etc.

Keep you pencil sharp and shop around. A lot.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Last time DH figured materials only price for a 60 x 120 shell it was around 30,000, sometime last year. Just the shell- just a wood pole barn with steel siding and roof. We have excellent sources for low cost lumber and steel siding, and the truss manufacturer is local. If you're serious, call your local lumberyards and have them work up a quote for you. They have estimators that are trained to figure materials properly, and a pole barn is pretty simple to estimate.

I am talking about just the shell. No water, no electricity.

The local lumberyards are the ones that gave me the high quotes They are small town lumberyards that are obviously overpriced. The other place with the cheaper quote is still a small town lumberyard, but they must sell more pole barn packages. They are located about 1.5hrs north of me. They also deal with then clearspan buildings.

The smaller lumberyards aren't necessarily overpriced, they sometimes just don't buy enough to get huge volume discounts. That said, when DH was in the planning stages of building a barn for a customer, he stopped in a little local lumberyard for something and they asked where he was going to get his lumber. DH told them, and they were able to come really really close in price to our discount supplier, and because the lumberyard was so close to the job site, they threw in free delivery. They were "hungry", and were willing to deal. They were absolutely awesome to deal with and whenever DH is in that area, he buys stuff from them now, and is always quick to recommend them.

the quality of the materials can easily be different between the suppliers.... can you recognize the difference is grade 3 and grade 2 lumber? or the differences between nominal steel thickness and real thickness?

A Yugo was a car but it is not a Mercedes even though they both are similar and had four wheels

Just be aware there a several places where you can get "used" buildings for huge discounts.

I got a 48x36 building (new, never put up) from CL for 7k.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Be real careful that you are truly comparing apples to apples. Some of the lower priced building may be generic packages that don't meet local building codes (and yes on a 60x120 building you are highly likely to have to meet code even if it's an "ag" building) In Michigan your snow load is going to be important and that does take beefing up the building.

When I built my barn 6 years ago the local lumberyard and contractor warned me that the building inspector in my county would be a major PITA and he sure bent over backward to prove them right! We followed the contractor's advice on several upgrades and passed all the inspections. A year later I built my arena, slightly larger than your building and same story; building inspector on a power trip = major PITA. That winter two other newly built local fabric arenas had midwinter collapses. My built to code (or in a few cases exceed code) pole building easily withstood the brunt of the snow and wind on our hilltop plateau that takes its share of Lake Michigan wind.

I'll gladly spend my $$$ with the local lumberyard again for all the grief they saved me. For what it's worth that $47,000 quote isn't too far off, if you want to do it right. I've found it money well spent and enjoy my barn and arena daily even in the crummiest of Michigan winters (now if all winters were mild like this one, that would be a real bonus.)

$47k doesn't sound too bad. Need to consider the gauge of the steel, your local restrictions, concrete or no concrete, beams or no beams, 4x4 or 6x6 verticals etc etc.

We were just quoted $55k for a 36 x 36 barn (including labor).

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Check out your local Home Depot.
    Here they have a CAD program where you can enter your specs & get a package price for materials. Everything is included: windows, doors, fasteners, etc. They also sell modular stalls.
    Rule of Thumb is having a contractor put it up will = the price of materials.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I'm not sure about home depot. They put in a quote for a roof similar but lower than others. But they said it would take 5 days for anew roof. It took two men two months to do the work. They did excellent work, and I'm glad we didn't go with home depot.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    The smaller lumberyards aren't necessarily overpriced, they sometimes just don't buy enough to get huge volume discounts. That said, when DH was in the planning stages of building a barn for a customer, he stopped in a little local lumberyard for something and they asked where he was going to get his lumber. DH told them, and they were able to come really really close in price to our discount supplier, and because the lumberyard was so close to the job site, they threw in free delivery. They were "hungry", and were willing to deal. They were absolutely awesome to deal with and whenever DH is in that area, he buys stuff from them now, and is always quick to recommend them.
    It can work 2 ways. Hungry is the key. Takes some work but saves $.

Years ago my father wanted to add onto the house (well Mom did ). He checked around and the local place (like 6 blocks? away) was beat in price by the faraway place (like 1 hour away). Plus they didnt charge delivery.

The local place went out not long after. Faraway place is stil there AFAIK. Strange.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker