The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Confo Critique?

My guy was standing pretty today, so I took the opportunity to snap a few shots of him. My poor phone isn't the best, but you get the idea. He's a 17 yr old OTTB. I'm in school, so we mostly just hang out. Ideally, we'll jump again before he gets too old. It's hard to maintain the consistent work he(we) need to be serious right now, though. He's been out of work for 2 months in these photos (hence the belly) due to school/holidays/sickness/injury. I do worry about him getting sway backed. Any thoughts on this? Or anything else?

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Bay/photo4.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Bay/photo3.jpg
    "Je suis Pony Owner."

My first reaction was, "What a cutie!" He has a kind expression, and he looks very well-cared for. My advice would be to enjoy hanging out with him.
    I had to sell my horse before going off to college; something I still have mixed feelings about (20 years later). It's o.k. to just love on your horse and enjoy him. He looks happy, kudos to you for taking such good care of him.

He's cute, happy and fuzzy! I like him. He has good balance and a bright, kind, eye. I can't tell much about the legs because of the winter cuteness!

I'll be honest, I love when horses have the winter fuzzies. You are lucky have him to love!

I think the only hints of sway he has come from his belly being so big! I'd consider changing his nutrition plan just because I don't like to see my horses that big-bellied, but that's me.

His back is slightly longer than "ideal" maybe, but it is still within the general length you'd want it to be, and his topline still looks good across his loins, so I wouldn't worry about it! Does he seem to dip more behind his withers than he used to? TB withers often become more and more prominent with age, so I'm wondering if that is adding to your concern.

Overall he looks nicely balanced with legs in the right positions, I like his front and hind end angles, etc. Looks like he'd likely be a cute mover - not sure if he'd be a hunter mover or not (I'm curious your input on that, as I have trouble guessing on some horses and he's one of them!) but he looks like he could use his hind end nicely.

I like him, and he doesn't look bad at all! Remember they can often keep going a long time if they don't have to much wear and tear or injuries. It's great that you get to keep him through college, even if you're not working him a lot - he looks happy and healthy, and that's more important!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

netg- Thanks for the input! He does seem to be getting more of a dip than he's had. I've not much experience with older horses (and he's my baby), so I've been fretting about it. He's not huntery at all, but he is a pretty cute mover when you get after him. He lives on a 5 acre dry lot (this summer was hard on the pasture) and gets next to nothing in grain and has access to a round bale (which is probably why he's so round). Not much we can do nutrition-wise, except, perhaps, actual work now and then, haha!
    "Je suis Pony Owner."