The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you journal about your riding or lessons?

Just curious as to how many people make notes after they ride, or at least after lessons.

I did for several years, but fell out of the habit when all I was cataloging was my horse's ongoing lameness. In hindsight, I think it was good for me, and need to get back in the habit. If nothing else, as I get older, I need to remember each exercise my trainer works on with me!

Yes, especially this January and February as I am riding 5x a week and I want to remember the main points of each lesson. We've covered a lot and I'm afraid that if I don't write it down I'll miss something important. It has really been a help and a good reminder.

I do, probably been doing it for about 6 months now? Its been extremely helpful to look back on challenges that I've had, and its also shown me progress I've made, which is nice. The only thing missing is some videos! I do not get enough video of me riding and having that compontent in my journaling is definitely missing.

Yep. Sometimes after a casual hack I dont bother writing anything down, but I always journal after an actual ride or lesson. It has helped so much with everything and has really helped when I have gone longer stretches without any lessons because i can make my own feedback.

I write down after all my IHSA team practices what horse I rode, what saddle I used, what I did well and what needed improvement. This way before I go ride my own horse I can see what I need to work on to do better at practice next week.

yes, I find its essential for me to make notes what changes and document progress......and when my horse died suddenly its nice to have the memories. I wish I did it more and took more video/photos. Its never enough.

I'm trying to get in a better habit with the new horse and its making the transition easier. I have a place to discuss lessons, technical things, and also "how I'm feeling".

I have a blog (yearwithmyhorse.wordpress.com) where I write down what I learned. It helps me to figure things through and I hope it helps others who read it. I talk about exercises, and my horse's responses, and my difficulties (and successes). I should probably look back at it more to gain more from it.

Yes, writing it downs actually helps me remember it. Even if I don't look at it again for months. Just the act of writing it down helps me.

Just started trying to do this. Just a few sentences but hopefully I will continue long enough to form a habit.

I just started a blog for fun and updates but I need to do more noting what I do more often just for myself...
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

I do, though it's friends-locked. I am not super consistent with it (I mean, how many posts can I make about my horse being stiff to the right?) but it is nice to keep track of how far we have come.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I record all of my lessons with a flip. I then edit it with iMovie and save to YouTube. I generally keep a video blog of the lessons on barnbynotes. This process has been incredibly helpful to me.

I keep a blog. Not only of my rides, what helped, and what didnt- It's nice to be able to look a few years back and see the difference in my horses- as well as other myriad things that go on in my life....

Keeps me grounded. And when I get into self pity mode of "Why am i never getting better!" I can look back and remind myself "... Oh yeah. I used to be worse!"

I find it's more useful to pick nits about other riders on fancier horses miles from my zip code. That's been very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I find it's more useful to pick nits about other riders on fancier horses miles from my zip code. That's been very helpful
    I will say that watching a video of Hans Peter Minderhoud sit tall and calm while a young horse did everything but jump out from under him helped me do the same on my mare during a pretty interesting test.

TO answer the OP's question -- no, I don't journal about my riding. And I don't use nouns as verbs, either.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    I will say that watching a video of Hans Peter Minderhoud sit tall and calm while a young horse did everything but jump out from under him helped me do the same on my mare during a pretty interesting test.

TO answer the OP's question -- no, I don't journal about my riding. And I don't use nouns as verbs, either.
    Well aren't you darling. Thanks grammar nazi!

Ruh roh, Scooby, you missed a comma

I keep a blog, though since I bought my own mini farm, I haven't posted a thing! I find it really helpful, especially when I am struggling with something, I go back through my blogs to remember exercises that helped.
    Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by eponacelt View Post
    Thanks grammar nazi!
    You're welcome. But I prefer "grammar queen."

Nazi is a creepy word and I hate to see it bandied it about.

I video my rides..or make notes...When I watch the videos, it takes viewing them 10 times before I stop bashing myself and realize that the ride was ok and there's actually been progress..LOL