The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I submitted my sketch with my wish list to the builder yesterday. Went with a 36x36 with 4 stalls and 10' overhangs off both sides. I imagine I will also be needing to re-evaluate what I "need" when the price comes back

We could save money by building ourselves (and DH will probably do plumbing and electrical regardless) but it would be SO much faster if we could just let someone do it for us and this would be a super nice barn. It might be 2024 before I could keep DH in one place long enough to finish it if we build it
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

If you don't need a Taj Mahal barn, check with local builders like these here on Craiglist.
    I don't know who these are, just have seen their ad:

http://amarillo.craigslist.org/grd/2843470410.html

Now, be sure to check and recheck references, see what they have build before and have a really good contract, some are scammers.

Still, that is one place to start looking for small barns.

I would also look into getting a quote from a prefab metal barn builder like Barnmaster. It's very easy to add an extra stall assuming you have the basic structure in place. We built a 36 x 36 center aisle barn but only had 3 stalls plus a tack room built intially. We used the extra space for hay and shavings storage, then later added 2 additional stalls. We now have 5 stalls, 4 horses and a pony.

We enclosed an area under the overhang for hay and shavings storage which works great.

Definitely don't underbuild! You don't have to finish out all the stalls now, but you do want the basic structure to be large enough for the future.

That sounds like a great space! FWIW, we did all the interior ourselves. Our barn builder normally does garages and dutch barns (storage), but following simple, basic pole barn blueprints is a no-brainer for anyone who builds free-standing garages. He was very, very gracious and sold us T&G boards for his cost + 10% for administrative purposes,and hubby and I did the stalls - very easy, just a bit time consuming when you're going it after work and on weekends. But it really didn't take all that long.

My biggest regret is I didn't have an overhang on any side built in, but oh well - that's next on my wish list

Prime Time - Barnmaster was who I was trying to go with... but alas, I just got my quote. I may need to find a backup plan! Super nice barns and totally worth the cost but I'm not sure my bank account can swing it. At least not without severely limiting hubby's man-building and that's not going to go over too well.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Would definitely look into the local pole building suppliers (if you're thinking about pole buildings at all) when you're getting estimates.

When I started looking, I talked to my local-est guys, and two "name brand" barn builders - Conestoga and Morton - local guys were lowest, Conestoga was pretty close, and Morton was about 2x the estimate from the local company (and didn't seem to be able to build the barn that I wanted, even though the pole barn builders had no trouble understanding what I was looking for).

(Prices did not include site prep or concrete, or electric, etc...)

Incase you get 4 horses I have a very good Ramen noodle recipe.
    I add salsa, veggies and parmeasean cheese to mine and it makes a great meal.

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    If you build it, they will come....

Exactly. Along with having too much fenced land.