The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Again...Coyotes (is it that hard to spell??) will not attack/hunt healthy, adult large animals. I seriously doubt that rancher's calves were killed by coyotes; our neighbor's cow/calf pairs have never been predated by our local coyotes. I suppose if we had harsher winters and his calves were born in January/February this *might* be a concern...maybe....

I've seen coyotes in my fields many times, hunting mice or voles, right alongside my two geldings. Least of my worries about my farm, animals and life!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I would NOT worry about Bobcats. They are very shy.

Quote Originally Posted by xeroxchick View Post
    I would NOT worry about Bobcats. They are very shy.
    And small. They eat little critters like rabbits and squirrels.

I drove up later that usual one night (9pm) to put the cats in the feed room for the night.

There were two coyotes, 5 horses and 2 cats all hanging out in a small area. No one looked aggressive, but I still lock the cats inside at night, just to be safe.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Mah Navu View Post
    I've wondered about this also, as we board our horses on a farm way up in the mountains of PA...

Have been there a year and haven't seen nor heard a coyote yet, neither has the neighbor, who has lived there 25 yrs. so if there are coyotes in this area, they are rare....

But there have been a few bobcats sighted...over the years.

Which worries me.... I've heard that coyotes are timid, in general.

Bobcats.....not so much.
    Well, for a horse I would certainly not worry about a bobcat. They are like 20/30 lbs. Not large at all.

Now if you are letting little dogs our or have pet rabbits, i'd worry. (I am sure they love it when people tie dogs up when they go outside. it's like you're tempting them with a snack). but I certainly wouldn't worry about a horse or cattle, or even really sheep or goats, with them.

someone mentioned that since our horses are boarded beside chickens, that the chickens would attract the bobcats...still, even if that were so, i wouldn't think a bobcat would attack something so big as a horse....but just to have them hanging around the horses is rather disconcerting.....

anyone know about the chances of a bear attacking a horse? There've been a few sighted around here, though the sightings are relatively few. I've seen threads where people worry about coyotes and bobcats, but no one ever mentions bears................?????

We see bobcats and coyotes regularly around our farm in Florida. They have never attacked the horses in the 16 years.

Mah Navu--in the lower 48, I'd not worry about a bear attacking a healthy horse. I'm assuming from previous threads you live in the SE (could be wrong) so you're talking black bears. Horses are safe. The only predator, besides a hunter with a gun or an infected mosquito, you'd worry about would be a cougar/panther/mountain lion (all same thing). They'll take a horse, if that's all that's available, as a horse is still a bit too large for them.

Honestly, small animals/dogs and poultry get eaten by the animals mentioned so far in this thread. Keep those inside or penned up and you're good to go.

Thanks, CC, for the reassurance about the bears. we have a few here in the mid atlantic area, black bears, as you mentioned...but they are rather scarce in my area, i've lived in the mountains my whole childhood and never even saw one....but i did read that some hunters did take a few during hunting season this past year in the neighboring county. And every now and then one will wander into someone's backyard and dig through their garbage cans....it's rare enough to make newspaper headlines.

I'm not varmint savvy so I really didn't know what to think about coyotes/bobcats in regards to horses. i did some internet searches when we first moved them in the mountains, and most sites said what you said...coyotes are too timid to bother anything other than a newborn foal or such...same with bobcats, whose diet consists of small prey.

There was a woman on a website who swore a bobcat attacked and severely scratched her horse (chickens nearby) but there was no way to prove it was a bob and not a mountain lion or other animal....otherwise the consensus was: bobs and coyotes equal no problem for adult horses.

BTW: calvin, shaggy and sable are gorgeous!!!! What color are they technically? grays?

Thanks MN- Shaggy was a TB colt I boarded until he went to the track, Alydar grandson and dapple gray. Sable is steel gray--she's "pony" and Arabian, 14 hands and happily packing a wee girl around in Pony Club and eventing. My SIL started her, showed her and sold her for her neighbor (the breeder). She was a delight--I boarded her when the other barn was full, and she was the bravest, sweetest baby ever. I did a lot of baby boarding--TBs from weanling to ready for the track. Hard work, very satisfying. My Calvin (big chestnut) is the best babysitter.

Calvin,

Even though i own one, I was never a big fan of grays, but those two are just lovely!!!! As is that chestnut beauty.... *sigh*

I enjoyed looking at your pics on your sig link, and really got a laugh out of the "fully immersed" one!!

And after seeing the Corgi that snuck into the one gray horse pic, I have now decided...I WANT one of those!!!! What a cutie pie!!

Ah, thanks! Sadly, our wee swimming kitty died while being spayed a few years ago.

I have this weird thing with chestnuts--all of my horses, except one, have been chestnuts. Copper, liver, roan, no white, lots of white, 4 white socks, even an Appaloosa! It has become a joke with my trainer and friends. I never look for one---they just happen!!

The little chestnut mare I sold a few years back--she moved like a million dollars, obviously jumped well, but god could she spook.

We have coyotes, bobcats, bears and some sightings of mountain lions around here. I've had no attacks on large animals to date that I can prove...one maybe from 2007 but we never knew for sure what happened when mare came in scratched on her side (looked like claws).

I have lost poultry to dogs, foxes, skunks, and hawks though for certain. Something got a couple of my smaller turkeys that might have been a coyote but I have no proof on that.

Loose dogs or coy dogs are a much bigger problem here than true wild coyotes or any other predator. We live about a mile from the boundary of the Great Dismal Swamp Refuge so we have a lot of wildlife and a large bear population.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Again...Coyotes (is it that hard to spell??) will not attack/hunt healthy, adult large animals.

I've seen coyotes in my fields many times, hunting mice or voles, right alongside my two geldings. Least of my worries about my farm, animals and life!
    That's what the ones around here seem to hunt - mice, voles, rabbits, etc. We very, very rarely see them, but hear them and see the scat very close to our pasture. I'm sure my horses keep an eye on them (my mare is very nosy ) but I have had no reason to think the horses are the least bit scared of them - if they were, I'm sure I would have heard them galloping back to the barn at some point.

I keep a mini with my horses as well and think she'd shred them if they got too close.

I personally like listening to them howl at night. (I'll admit it's more appealing from the deck or in the house than when I'm putting hay out in my pasture, but I like it!)

Next door neighbor, about 100 acres away, had large coyote attack small dog but dog got away somehow. Daughter witnessed this. Our woods are full of coyotes.
    Turned my 3 smaller dogs out 3 nights ago, then heard coyotes howling right near house. My yorkie mix who thinks she can rule the world came back FAST with her tail between her legs, got on the porch & then puffed up & barked like crazy while standing between Mama's legs. So tough....
    Still I don't trust the dogs to make the right decisions so I keep them within eyesight while outside or try to.
    Last night I saw a very big coyote on road near my home. It just lazily jogged away from the car. Not that scared of humans but I'm scared of them.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Bobcats are of no danger. They are small... and also very timid. My husband did a bobcat study in Northeast/Central PA and they are definately VERY timid. He brought me one once that they had sedated so they could put a radio collar on it. I got to hold it. It was really like a very large house cat with a short tail. There is no way they could take a horse. I would be very surprised if they could take a goat either...but someone let me know if Im wrong about that.

Headless bunnies...reminds me, I miss my Sophie, the barn cat who went missing last year. One too many walkabouts. We'd find at least one headless rabbit a week. Now we're over run with rabbits. My remaining barn cats, Lily and Phantom Garage Cat (yes, she's spayed) seem to prefer rodents. We have coyotes, but I've never seen them on my property. The cats appear to be predator smart and stay out of their way.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I live in north Texas, we have coyotes in the neighborhood and I've turned my horses out at night all summer without a problem. A neighbor's Jack Russell terrier was attacked by a coyote a few years ago, but the coyotes won't bother adult horses.

Coyotes were wiping out the cats and small dogs and ground nesting birds in Fayette County over 30 yrs ago. A lot of our cops lived in Fayette, south of Atlanta. They lost small animals to coyotes.

We have coyotes now just west of Savannah. For over 5 yrs they've been around, again eating small dogs and cats. As others have said, coyotes will not bother a grown horse. However, I'd worry about a horse who was injured or sick if coyotes were around. We have so many deer and rabbits and squrrels and possum-on-the-halfshell as well as possums and raccoons, that coyotes and the occasional pesky Florida panther tend to not bother our horses.

The coy-dogs and stray dogs, however, will attack horses, as others have said supra. I've not seen bears down here.

We have seen some huge coyotes recently. Like lab sized. I think that they could take a small herd animal easily. We put our sheep in at night, and let the dogs out when they bark, because of this. Peace of mind...