The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BOSS alternative?

I have fed BOSS for at least 10 years but the prices have gotten out of hand. When I started feeding it the price was $9 for a 50lb bag. Yesterday I paid $28 for a 50lb bag but ended up taking it back to the store. I opened it up and the seeds weren't the normal shiny black that I am used to seeing but instead were dark gray and had stripes. They were smaller than the ones you buy at the ball park or convenience store so I don't think they were the normal gray striped but definitely weren't the normal black oil either. For $28 I want it to look like BOSS.

Since I am no longer training race horses I don't necessarily need the extra fat/energy but love the way the horses look when they are eating it. My filly will be showing in hand this spring and I want her coat to be in good shape. It looks amazing right now but she will be body clipped soon and I want to make sure the coat underneath is at least as nice if not better.

Substitute flax or maybe mirra coat or something flax based like that?

A cup a day of whole flax seed gets them gleaming, along with a whole host of other products. I like simple and inexpensive and usually you can find 50 pound bags of flax seed for not much money. It doesn't go bad quickly unless you grind it, so I just don't.
    Click here before you buy.

Yeah I have fed whole flax for years but thought maybe there was something new out there that I hadn't tried.

Probably there are 100 new products, but IMO none better.

What about rice bran oil? I know that has some mild anabolic properties which can't hurt for a horse who is showing in hand I would think.

BOSS prices are going up because food companies are using more sunflower seed oil, so there is less seed for the bird (or in some cases horse) market. It's also the time of year people buy bird seed like crazy.

Its not so much the price as it the fact that it doesn't even appear to be the same stuff.

I switched to canola oil for my hard keeper the day they wanted $40 for a 50 lb bag of sunnies. (After I picked myself up off the floor, that is.) I did the math to make sure I was feeding the same amount of fat, and haven't noticed a difference. He was already on flax, as well, as is my mare, and she is plenty shiny on just that (plus her RB).

ETA - The switch was 7 months ago, so if I was going to see a difference, I should have by now!
    Proud member of the EDRF

What about rice bran oil? I know that has some mild anabolic properties which can't hurt for a horse who is showing in hand I would think.
    Can you elaborate on the anabolic properties of rice bran oil? I would never use "anabolic" and "can't hurt" in the same sentence, but wasn't aware this humble substance HAD any such properties.

Other oil grains such as flax or whole roasted soubeans. I use both in my ration.

Farnman Super 14 is my old stand by for a super shine on a coat if I can not get my hands on affordable oil grains. Works like a charm.

Everyone at our barn gets a handful of whole flax thrown in their evening feed. Winter coats are soft, slick and shiny, summer coats are loaded with dapples and GLEAM. Easy peasy.

My horses get whole oats, whole flax, a ground flax horsetech sup and cocosoya oil, and they are plenty shiny.

But I once found that wheat germ oil made them outstandingly shiny, and luxuriously soft. It was almost ridiculous, like they'd been sprayed with a light mist of baby oil or something. My old coming 32 mustang, who normally has a thick but coarser winter coat felt soft like a baby bunny, it was the weirdest thing. They would come in from the field literally sparkling through the just-rolled dirty spots on their shoulders, cheeks and rumps.

I was only feeding 2 oz of Animed's wheat germ oil blend (they offer a huge array of oils). It was pretty cheap too iirc, about $20 per gallon shipped.

I stopped feeding it though because there is an insanely high amount of Vit A in the wheat germ oil blend and it spooked me.

I was dealing with massive dandruff problems on my morgan at the time, and both as shiny and soft as they were had lots of that white greasy skin oil secretions, crazy amounts. I was having to do a lot of washing up of blankets, tack, brushes, and I was driving the two of them at the time and having to scrub both harnesses after each use. There was a coating of white grease on.everything.

It was in a thread here that someone turned me onto the book "grooming to win" in which there is a note that excess Vit A can cause excess skin oil secretions, specifically the white grease type, so I stopped the Wheat Germ oil. I've also since doubled the flax seed, and stopped work for the winter and spent all my free time learning how to really groom my horses to the nines. So I really can't say if the WGO was the reason for the excessive secretions, or if stopping the WGO is the reason for it diminishing, as there are a lot of other factors going on.

I also have a friend who has a knack for getting horses unusually soft and shiny. She doesn't spend any time grooming, her horses live outside too, and we both feed the same hay from the same source and have basically the same amount of grazing. What she does though is feed a good bit of Fibergized. I've never fed it, but her horses just sparkle despite being handled only once or twice a week.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Can you elaborate on the anabolic properties of rice bran oil? I would never use "anabolic" and "can't hurt" in the same sentence, but wasn't aware this humble substance HAD any such properties.
    I fear that goes back to the body builder market. If you search the nutri-supp's on the body builder websites a common supp (to replace illegal anabolic steriods) is gamma-oryzanol (present in rice bran). All these sites hail a study from the Milwauki Sports Clinic claiming in a trial users of high dose gamma-O after time (something like 4mths) showed greater girth muscle mass than users of roids. But try finding this Milwauki Sports Clinic or any paper, or lecturer abstract etc by said doctor.

The next question I had is how would a trial such as this happen. Even if a doc can rx roids....would not his ethics be in question for allowing doping within the sports industry?

Makes you wonder if it was body builder urban legend.

I'm sure it's in relation to the gamma oryzanol of rice bran (and in the oil).

The only thing I can find is that is "can" have anabolic properties
    http://www.naturevetdirect.com.au/ho...%20ARTICLE.pdf
    Trials in the U.S., Japan and Australia have shown that
    gamma oryzanol has effects on weight gain and performance comparable
    to some anabolic steroids. Gamma oryzanol has effects on the body’s
    endocrine system resulting in increased metabolism of fat and increased
    synthesis of protein.
    JUST some tidbits, I haven't found the research, I'm just pulling something out

And in this context, yes, I'd say the g.o. is pretty safe

Makes you wonder if it was body builder urban legend.
    My husband used to get those magazines and the main impression I got when I looked at them was "here is the industry where supplementation and junk science is possibly MORE prevalent, elevated to the status of gospel, and swallowed whole than in the horse world!"

Gamma orzanol is the main ingredient in the product body builder. It is also in rice bran oil or at least in the brand I have bought in the past McCauleys. Here they call the anabolic properties anecdotal but it's definitely cheaper than body builder.

http://www.mccauleybros.com/suppleme...ebran#features

My husband used to get those magazines and the main impression I got when I looked at them was "here is the industry where supplementation and junk science is possibly MORE prevalent, elevated to the status of gospel, and swallowed whole than in the horse world!"
    That pretty impressive if you could actually bring yourself to look past the pics and maybe even read the magazine.

Not me....I just flipped the pages from body to body wondering if such a human was really out there or if photo shopping was truly the science behind it all!

Well, there isn't much TO the magazines other than the ads. Which did remind me of Quarter Horse stallion advertisements . . .

Years ago I had owners who wanted their horses on body builder and while I never noticed an increase in bulk they did have a gorgeous coat. Its use is very prevalent even today with the yearling and two year old sale horses. Mandatory in many cases as in they won't prep your horse (at a minimum of $40 per day) unless you agree to buy the stuff. They also use clenbuterol for the same reason.

The racing industry? Doing things according to tribal custom and not based on solid evidence? NOOOOOO. Really?