The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Of course you still miss her. She's still gone, right? Hopefully now you don't cry everytime you think of her and can smile at the good memories. Did you get her a fitting memorial? I had Pinch painted and have just asked the artist to paint Siren. Hugs to you and Noodle.
    I definitely don't cry everytime I think about her but there are still those days that the heartache just grabs such a hold....

And it's weird, Noodle actually does some of the same silly things that Tonka used to do. The first couple times, it took me so off guard that for that split second, I thought it WAS Tonka. Those were hard. Now I just know that they are similar souls.

Tonka has a frame where one side is a picture of her and the other is a sweet poem. Her collar hangs from it...

Unhappy

Today's the day. It hit me before I even got out of bed.

I miss you my TonkaTonk....

Our pets never leave us - they live in our hearts forever. I'm sorry for your loss. May you have the strength to get through the day. Give that extra love to Noodle & it will come back twofold.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    Our pets never leave us - they live in our hearts forever. I'm sorry for your loss. May you have the strength to get through the day. Give that extra love to Noodle & it will come back twofold.
    Thank you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't think it ever gets easier, but I'm glad your Noodle is there to comfort you.

Anniversaries are the worst

December 23rd was a year since I lost my heart dog. I think about him every day and miss him still. I have no regrets about sending him over the bridge as it was def his time to go. But it still makes me sad that he is gone.

I got a new puppy not long after he passed. It has made it easier to deal with Murphy's loss. Romeo (now a little over a year old) is a very silly boy and makes me laugh every day. He is well on his way to filling that hole in my heart. Right now he is in the bunny round pen laying down and the rabbits are doing laps around him and jumping over his back. He is of course completely entertained and fascinated by them and I am giggling like a crazy woman. (he is also a sheltie, just like my dear Murphy)

It will get easier with time. Everyone has their own schedule for grieving ... and please remember that we understand.

{{hugs}}

Quote Originally Posted by rubygirl1968 View Post
    Anniversaries are the worst
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    December 23rd was a year since I lost my heart dog. I think about him every day and miss him still. I have no regrets about sending him over the bridge as it was def his time to go. But it still makes me sad that he is gone.

I got a new puppy not long after he passed. It has made it easier to deal with Murphy's loss. Romeo (now a little over a year old) is a very silly boy and makes me laugh every day. He is well on his way to filling that hole in my heart. Right now he is in the bunny round pen laying down and the rabbits are doing laps around him and jumping over his back. He is of course completely entertained and fascinated by them and I am giggling like a crazy woman. (he is also a sheltie, just like my dear Murphy)

It will get easier with time. Everyone has their own schedule for grieving ... and please remember that we understand.

{{hugs}}
    I'm so sorry for your loss too. I'm glad you have Romeo to make you laugh.

Toby grew up over night when Tonka died; almost like he thinks he has to be the big brother now. It's weird. And a bit sad.
    But Noodlehead is a total goofball and makes everyone laugh with her silly puppy antics.

I'll forever miss my TonkaTonk though....

I lost two very special horses two weeks apart almost three years ago (see my signature line) It was beyond devastating to lose my once in a lifetime show horse and then my homebred horse that was the love of my life. I bought a new horse right away but the heartwrenching pain went on for almost 2 1/2 years I am FINALLY to the spot where their memories don't evoke instant tears but now I can think of the good times and smile and remember how lucky I was to have those two wonderful horses in my lifetime.

It will get easier I promise
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Your memorial for Tonka sounds very respectful. RIP. I'm of the opinion it doesn't get easier, we just get older. Glad to see you have two lovely dogs that can help you through it. Ken said it perfectly.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    I lost two very special horses two weeks apart almost three years ago (see my signature line) It was beyond devastating to lose my once in a lifetime show horse and then my homebred horse that was the love of my life. I bought a new horse right away but the heartwrenching pain went on for almost 2 1/2 years I am FINALLY to the spot where their memories don't evoke instant tears but now I can think of the good times and smile and remember how lucky I was to have those two wonderful horses in my lifetime.

It will get easier I promise
    Oh my goodness, I don't know how you did that! That pain was horrendous enough; I can't imagine having it twice so close together!! HUGE HUGS to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I'm of the opinion it doesn't get easier, we just get older.

Can't promise that I won't do this every year but today marks the 2 year anniversary of Tonka's passing. Not a single day goes by that I don't think of her, or pass her picture and smile (and I admit sometimes I say hi to her).

Wow, I still miss that dog. I'm much better talking about her without crying, but not today. Today feels like it was just yesterday that we said farewell....

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    ...Wow, I still miss that dog. I'm much better talking about her without crying, but not today. Today feels like it was just yesterday that we said farewell....
    I am so sorry you lost your friend. My dane passes over a year and a half ago but every once in awhile I tear up thinking about her. I miss her. We were looking at google maps and on street view if you zoom in, you can see her standing on the porch stairs. Yeah, I just looked again and that picture is still there .

I try to remember what made her such a great, fun dog! I guess that is why dogs are so great, they really get in your heart but it hurts so much when they go...

So sorry for your loss... I was taking an inventory of the very special animals I have lost over the years, and there are definitley some that were incredibly special and that I think about often. We lost our sweet Maggie, a Chessie, a few months ago, and I do talk to her still. She is the first dog that we had cremated (we could not decide on a burial place), and though I had intended to scatter her ashes on the farm, still she sits on the mantel in my office (right behind me as I type this). I think I will keep her there always - she was normally right behind my office chair, so it's fitting. I still am so careful about how I roll my chair back - she is still "there" for me...

I have several pets, but there is 1 dog I have now that I absolutley cannot face losing - he somehow has become so special to me. I try not to think about it.

Thanks for bring to mind my dear departed friends:
    Bandit, my 18 year old cat that got me through 3 years of chemo and radiation as a teenager
    Arthur, my diabetic tuxedo kitty who was such a part of my life when I was newly married and living in the first house I had ever lived in.
    Casper, my dear Lipizzan/Appy cross who was smarter than me and knew it
    Delilah, my ever sweet rough collie who despite her gentle ways, stepped in front of me more than once to protect me.
    Last hopefully for a long while) brave beautiful Maggie

We are blessed to have these selfless creatures in our lives!

invested - lost my heart dog at almost 14 back in 2006. I still miss him a lot. Can still tear up when thinking about him. Still have the female that joined him in 2002, but she's now in her 13 year and that makes me sad too as she's a wonderful soul.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

That whole "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" is sometimes hard to remember.....

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    Can't promise that I won't do this every year but today marks the 2 year anniversary of Tonka's passing. Not a single day goes by that I don't think of her, or pass her picture and smile (and I admit sometimes I say hi to her).

Wow, I still miss that dog. I'm much better talking about her without crying, but not today. Today feels like it was just yesterday that we said farewell....
    I completely understand how you feel. I lost my heart dog suddenly on January 5th, 1995 when she was almost 8 years old. I cried for weeks/months afterwards...needed medication just to sleep, thought I was losing my mind. It felt as if the grief was crushing me. It took two whole years before I even considered allowing another dog into my life. It happened because the dog couldn't have been more different from my Sasha and she was born on the 2nd anniversary of Sasha's death. It seemed like it was meant to be. I still think of Sasha all the time. I maintain her resting place in her own personal garden, she has a marble plaque and a stone with her name and dates on it. It's almost like I lost a child...she's been gone 19 years and I STILL think about her and miss her!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

What an idiot I was to reread this entire thread!

But as an update, Noodle, the puppy I rescued 2 months to the day after Tonka's death (since Toby, my other dog, was grieving so badly), has definitely wormed her way into my heart, as all of you said she would.

She is a goofball who makes me laugh, literally, every day. She grew to look a bit more like Tonka than I would have preferred but her personality is so starkly different, it's a rare day that I catch a glimpse and think it's my Tonka-tonk. And sometimes those rare days, I cry, and sometimes, I'm able to smile wondering if Tonka is up there laughing at what I have to deal with now.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    It took two whole years before I even considered allowing another dog into my life. It happened because the dog couldn't have been more different from my Sasha and she was born on the 2nd anniversary of Sasha's death. It seemed like it was meant to be.
    That does sound meant to be...

1 members found this post helpful.