The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Seriously start another thread if u r gonna come on here its easier to shut down.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    ((hugs)) just hugs ~ I understand completely I'm sorry for your heartbreaking loss ~
    Thank you.
    I know we've all been there....

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    This is a lovely thread and reminds me of when I lost my greyhound. She was such a special dog to me and the posters on COTH were so supportive I'll never forget how much it helped that others bothered to post. It has taken time, I'll always love her and miss her, but things are good now.

Hugs, and let the process occur. There is no right or wrong, or timeline, or anything.
    This thread has been so cathartic for me. I love my boyfriend with all my heart but he just doesn't get it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    Exactly. Celebrate Noodle for what she is. She will never be Tonka, she is that next great dog to show you how to be a better human.
    She will. She's such a goof.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Seriously start another thread if u r gonna come on here its easier to shut down.
    ?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    ?
    !
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Lex, you always have such a way with words.

Invested1 - I am so sorry for your loss.

This thread is very timely for me. I've never posted on the Menagerie board before (at least I don't remeber that I did), but I came to post a question about getting a puppy now that my 13 year old Weimaraner is showing signs of old age. I've heard it is good for the older dog, and good for the puppy as well. My husband thinks it is a good idea for me to get the puppy now, before Khaki crosses the Rainbow Bridge, so I'll already love the new puppy and I won't feel like the new puppy is trying to be Khaki's replacement. Reading about your feelings with your new puppy has made me think that he may be right. Thank you for sharing your experiences here.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

JD,
    I can tell you from experience that already having another dog when you have to say goodbye to your heart dog is priceless. You are so desperately going to need puppy snuggles and kisses, and if there is anything at all in this world that can make this even the smallest bit less devastating, it will be that other dog loving on you. Just my 2 cents.

I'm so sorry that you're headed down that road though. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. That said, you know what an amazing life you gave Khaki and you were each lucky to have one another....

I not only distanced myself from our new puppy but part of me actually resented her for being here instead of my heart dog. I definitely wasn't ready for a new dog yet as I was deeply grieving still but my lab was an absolute mess without my sheltie so I got a puppy thinking it would help her. She HATED the puppy which made us both miserable. Luckily the puppy was oblivious to how I felt as well as how the lab felt and in time she won us both over. The puppy will be 9 years old in September and she is probably the best dog I have ever owned! No doubt we are going to have a repeat of the heart dog problem when she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I definitely wasn't ready for a new dog yet as I was deeply grieving still but my lab was an absolute mess without my sheltie so I got a puppy thinking it would help her.
    This. I definitely wasn't ready but Toby was desperately lonely without Tonka around. His pain only added to my heartbreak. But his was something I could help. In came Noodle.

Luckily the puppy was oblivious to how I felt as well as how the lab felt and in time she won us both over. The puppy will be 9 years old in September and she is probably the best dog I have ever owned! No doubt we are going to have a repeat of the heart dog problem when she goes.
    Same. Noodle adores me and my BF calls her a "momma's dog." I know she will weasel her way into my heart one day. I guess I'm just scared of your same problem--that I'll have a repeat of this heartache......
    Last edited by Invested1; Jul. 12, 2012 at 01:23 PM.

I saw this the other day and found it totally fitting.
    I know Tonka would have wanted this for Noodle....

A Dog's Last Will and Testament

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, give their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I would ask.

To a poor and lonely stray, I'd give:
    my happy home
    my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillows and all my toys
    the lap which I loved so much and the tender loving touch
    the hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice which called my name

I'd will to the sad, scared shelter dog, the place I had in my human's loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, "I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain are more than I can stand." Instead, go find an unloved animal, one who's life holds no hope or joy, and give my place to him.

This is the only thing that I can give... the love I left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    Kryzteke, that really was lovely, and I'm sorry for your loss too.

And you're right, I feel like most everyone thinks I should be over this, and to be honest, I think I'm hiding it pretty well. And I can't thank you all enough for being such an amazing outlet for me.

I cry about Tonka mostly at night. It's usually when it's dark and quiet, and my boyfriend has fallen asleep so he is none the wiser. When I feel that it's going to be more of one of the gut-wrentching sobs vs. silent tears, I get up and go into the basement where I can just let it out.

She was MY first dog. I grew up with family dogs, but she is the one I got when I finished college and started "real life." She had been with me through so many ups and downs in my life. I simply adored her. If I needed a smile, all I had to do was look at her and I swear she would smile at me. If that didn't crack me, she'd tackle me and cover me with kisses until I'd start laughing. As corny as it sounds, she truly was my best friend and there are times in my life that I'm not sure I would have made it through without her. And this is one of those times, so I'm just at a loss without having her to turn to. I know I sound like a spoiled child stamping my feet but I just want her back. I miss her so terribly.

And I know that she lived many years past what was expected but it still wasn't enough. I don't think any amount of time would have been....
    So sorry for your loss. I lost my first dog, my heart dog, after 10 years last winter. She was diagnosed with cancer and went downhill shockingly fast. I know how hard it is. It does get easier with time, and your other animals can be a big help

Quote Originally Posted by allintexas View Post
    So sorry for your loss. I lost my first dog, my heart dog, after 10 years last winter. She was diagnosed with cancer and went downhill shockingly fast. I know how hard it is. It does get easier with time, and your other animals can be a big help
    Allin,
    I'm sorry for your loss too.

It's verrry slowly getting a little better but it still doesn't take much for me to lose it. On my walk the other day, I stopped to pet a golden; from the second I did it, I knew it was a mistake. Sure enough, as soon as I walked away, the tears just started coming....

Thursday marks one year that I lost my heartdog. How can that much time have gone by?

I still think of her and miss her....

I remember this thread, and even I can't believe it's been a year. Hopefully this will be a year without sorrow for you. I have two seniors and I dread the day. Which is kind of stupid, because they don't waste their precious lives worrying about it.

I am so sorry Invested. For me, when I lose a beloved dog, it at about the 12-18 month mark that I can start to think about them again without the deep hurt.

I hope things are a little better for you in the next 12 months

Of course you still miss her. She's still gone, right? Hopefully now you don't cry everytime you think of her and can smile at the good memories. Did you get her a fitting memorial? I had Pinch painted and have just asked the artist to paint Siren. Hugs to you and Noodle.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy18 View Post
    I remember this thread, and even I can't believe it's been a year. Hopefully this will be a year without sorrow for you. I have two seniors and I dread the day. Which is kind of stupid, because they don't waste their precious lives worrying about it.
    Amazing, isn't it, how quickly the time went? A year. Hard to grasp...

And I know you can't help dreading the day. Almost like standing on a train track watching the train coming barreling down on you and you know it's going to hit and it's going to hurt like hell.....

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    I am so sorry Invested. For me, when I lose a beloved dog, it at about the 12-18 month mark that I can start to think about them again without the deep hurt.

I hope things are a little better for you in the next 12 months
    Thank you. Me too...