The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aloe Vera Juice?

I have read in several places that aloe vera juice is beneficial to feed to horses with ulcers. Where do you buy it, and how much do you feed?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Friends of mine take a shot of it everyday to help soothe their selves. I know you can buy it from health stores.

I just did a quick google search and walmart has gallon size for 7.84.

I'm not sure how much to give a horse

I gave 1 cup per day in the grain. Did not see a huge difference.

There are so many things out there that claim to help prevent and/or heal ulcers...its mind boggling!

There's a simple remedy: don't read advertisements or "claims". Go with textbooks.
    Click here before you buy.

I ordered the BPR and they shipped last night (according to Abler's e-mail). I don't want to use those daily though. I'm just not comfortable using the Omeprazole long term daily. I would rather use it specifically during stressful times, and use other means daily with her alfalfa ration.

She is getting Neighlox at the recommendation of the clinic vet who scoped her, and alfalfa pellets (about 1 lb per feeding right now) and Poulin MVP (min/vit pellets)

There are some clinical trials in humans (just google it) that do show promising results. Do not know of any in horses however.

I feed it at a 1/2 c. per feeding--the kind you can get at Walmart--for my cribber but otherwise no-ulcer-symptom horse. I've no idea if it works, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something. I do have anecdotal evidence from a human cancer patient that it was the only thing that allowed her to survive chemo treatments and still eat.

I tried it probably 7/8 years ago for my cribber. Got it at Walmart/Sam's Club and gave him 1/2 cup? (1/2 or 1 I honestly don't remember) per feeding. After a couple months, didn't see any difference and since it was truly a PITA given my boarding situation (no fridge in the barn so I had to do a cooler in the feed room and change out ice packs every day/every other day because it needs to be refrigerated once opened) I stopped using it.

I used it on a horse with pretty good results. Scoped with no ulcers, but the vet said it couldn't hurt. She was a fatso and didn't get a whole lot to eat. The vet said it may sooth her stomach which was empty a great deal of the time. We fed one cup a day.

I never refrigerated it, even though it was supposed to be. I just kept it in the feed room, but it's pretty cool and dark in there.

Someone on this board knows where to get Aloe Vera in pelleted form, but I can't remember who that is, now. My local feed stores don't carry it.

I used it for my TB mare who was a Banamine addict. I couldn't afford GG/UG so my vet (a resident at Texas A&M) suggested it since she had seen some promising results. I got a gallon from Sam's for around $8 (you get very funny looks when you only buy aloe vera juice and then tell them it's for your horse) and gave 1/2 cup 2x/day top-dressed on her feed. I never had her scoped so I'm not sure there was an acutal difference, but she only had 1 flare up after that until I sold her (she was on it for almost 2 years). Doesn't hurt and better than doing nothing in my case.

You can get Aloe Vera powder from several sources, including ebay. I'm trying it this winter as the jug from Walmart would freeze at the barn.

I tried Aloe w/my OTTB without any results. Then went to shredded cabbage (either red or white) and had great results w/that. Fed a handful a day. That was it.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

I did the aloe vera juice with slippery elm bark powder for a filly with severe ulcers. It worked when gastrogard didn't.

Default Callabus

Are you the same Callabus from the Equinesite BB? I think you're seen my thread about my mare...the "If not ulcers, what could it be?!" thread that was about 19 miles long....!!!

Anywho...it's cheap enough, so I figure if she will eat it, it can't hurt to try it.

I tried alfalfa cubes last night instead of the pellets, and she ate those readily (my gelding tossed his nose around like he couldn't figure out if he liked them or not). I soaked them in warm water, they take a while to break down, longer than the pellets. But since they are more of a stemmy forage (just compressed) compared to the pellets, and saliva from eating hay helps buffer with ulcers, I figured if she would eat the cubes they would probably be a little better than the pellets. Actual hay bales of alfalfa are hard to come by in VT, adn the ones you can buy at Tractor Supply are $17.99 for a TINY bale, and its brown not green

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Are you the same Callabus from the Equinesite BB? I think you're seen my thread about my mare...the "If not ulcers, what could it be?!" thread that was about 19 miles long....!!!
    Yep -- that'd be me! I know that there are a couple of ppl who have one of my hoofcare students (grad) as their trimmer and they had scoped for ulcers (bleeding). Trimmer suggested red cabbage -- as per follow up scopes the cabbage did the trick in just a couple of weeks. Gone. So, try it -- yep, cheap enough. Just a handful of shredded daily. See how it goes and keep us posted?
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."

I did aloe vera (Walmart jug) and slippery elm on an OTTB and didn't have results until I used gastro gard. Horse was always on alfalfa.
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by caballus View Post
    Yep -- that'd be me! I know that there are a couple of ppl who have one of my hoofcare students (grad) as their trimmer and they had scoped for ulcers (bleeding). Trimmer suggested red cabbage -- as per follow up scopes the cabbage did the trick in just a couple of weeks. Gone. So, try it -- yep, cheap enough. Just a handful of shredded daily. See how it goes and keep us posted?
    This sounds really bad, but can you buy it pre-shredded, like a bag of salad? How do you shred it? My mare is SUPER picky, I'm not sure that she would eat it? I can try it just want to see how best to go about it.

Yeah, you can buy it bagged. I prefer shredding it fresh cause the longer its cut and sits, the more nutrients are lost and it does dry out. Its the juice, I think, that is effective ...

You can try mixing it with something else that she likes and start off that way. Just a little bit although she may surprise you and chomp it right up!
    --Gwen <><

Or if you want the secret ingredient that's in the cabbage just add a little glutamine to her feed (easily found in health stores, etc.). It's the amino acid that has modest properties in protecting the mucosa, etc. and found in modest amounts in cabbage. My horses won't even eat lettuce, other than the Shetland. Never tried cabbage but they would probably give me the same offended look.
    Click here before you buy.