The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Polo Wraps and Brush Boots

My horse's front boots are too small and rather than spend money on new boots when I already have polo wraps, I was considering wrapping his front legs. I have seen many people wrap the front legs and put boots on the back. Is there a purpose for this? Sorry if this seems like a silly question. Thanks in advance!
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day.

I think it probably depends on why you are using the boots.

Does he interfere? If he interferes I prefer the boots over polos. If not, maybe consider no boots. I stopped using boots because it made my horse's cannon bones prime target for fungus during the warm months. I only put them on now when I trail ride.

NC piedmont

Boots and polos are really only necessary for horses that interfere or otherwise need protection from something; neither provide tendon support but do generate unnecessary heat.

Personally, I'm not big on using equipment that's not needed for a specific purpose. I school with naked legs (the horror!).

If it works for you, do it. Its not like all 4 feet have to have the same style of legwear.

Or just use polos on all 4 if you want.

I was schooling my new horse with nothing but I feel better using SMB Elites on all 4 as he is a big mover. I've heard him clipping the boots with his hooves so I feel that I made the right choice.

On my older horse I used SBM and polos, depending on the day and what I was doing.

Thanks for the info. I have a 4 year old who I definitely think need protection for interfering.
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day.