The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit Suggestions? Dressage AND Jump legal.

Im looking for a bit suggestion for my OTTB mare that gives me control, but gives her tongue relief AND doesn't crack her in the pallet. What poses the biggest problem with her is her tongue. It twists in an unnatural way, possibly the result of her racing days? Because of that, I can't seem to find a bit that lays so she can goe comfortably in. Also, when she gets excited, she can get a bit strong. I've used rubber bits and double jointed bits and she works ok in them, but i feel she does best in her low port kimberwick. However, i need a bit that is both dressage and hunter/jumper legal. Her previous owner rode her in a pelham. I was considering trying a low port pelham bit on her but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions? Preferably something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg; I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a bit that she doesn't like/works just as well in as something I already have.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BrightlySkipped09 View Post
    Im looking for a bit suggestion for my OTTB mare that gives me control, but gives her tongue relief AND doesn't crack her in the pallet. Thanks!
    Have you tried one of the Myler comfort snaffles? They have a joint, but it's rotating inside a roller/drum instead of a nutcracker type joint, and they're curved to offer tongue relief.

Something like this (views from front and top): http://mylerbitsusa.com/images/comfort_snaffle/4.jpg

or this: http://mylerbitsusa.com/images/comfort_snaffle/2.jpg

Also, for jumping you might consider a plain, non-flexible mullen mouth with a puckle noseband. The puckle will transfer some of the force of the reins on to her nose. If her mouth is very sensitive, that might give you more control and better communication without having to level up to a harsher bit.