The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is your "limit" when buying at a tack shop vs buying online?

There is a pair of breeches at my local tack shop I've been coveting. But everything at this tack/feed store is always some amount more than when I buy th exact same item online. I like buying local, and actually am more than happy to go out of my way to frequent my local business, and even changed my grain so I could buy from this particular store.

But the breeches I'm looking at are $10 more expensive at the store than online which makes me question wheather I'll just order them or buy them at the store.

At the end of the day, I'm very likely to just buy them at the store, but it did make me wonder...at what point do YOU draw the line and say a markup in a local store is just too much?

It depends on how badly I need it. If it's something I need immediately I'll usually buy from the shop regardless of the mark up.

Usually it comes down to the cost of shipping. If the shipping on an item gets it close to what I'd pay in a store front, I usually don't bother ordering it elsewhere.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Have tried saying to the store, "Hey, I found this product online at a lesser price, but I'd really prefer to buy from you guys. Is there anyway you could lower the price a bit?"

Maybe you won't get the full difference taken off - maybe you'll get nothing taken off. Asking can't hurt though!

If I am paying more in shipping then the cost in store I buy it in store. If the item & shipping is a lot less then in store then I will buy on line.

I have to say that I like to know what I am getting so like to put my hands on the item. But with that said I have been buying a lot of stuff from the UK and have been very happy with everything that I have got. I also find that I am able to get things I can't get here and the price is really good.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

For breeches and you got to try them on... Go local!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I would say $10 is reasonable! Once you pay shipping it about evens out. You have them immediately, and as a bonus you are supporting a local tack shop! Too much online shopping and they all go out of business! As Preposterous Ponies suggested...see if they will take a little off!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

One particular tack store where I shop matches any online price that I show them. It's not something they advertise, but I asked and they're happy to price match.

For something like breeches (that cost a little more, even the cheap brands) I think the $10 is worth it to buy local, so you can try them on and feel the fabric.

Thanks guys. I know buying local is the right thing to do, and I really, really love this shop, the people at it, and all of the OTHER good things they do for the community (like donating a portion of the proceeds of their brand of grain to two excellent local charities), so I try to buy from them whenever I can. And I respect that they can't always offer things for the same prices as online. After all, part of what makes them special is a pleasant shopping experience in their very nice store.

But with the advent of Free shipping from so many vendors, I was starting to wonder if I could still justify paying more. And trying these breeches on isn't an issue - I know they fit as I already own several pair! I just need new ones...in a different color, right?

All that said...I'll be headed up there today to pick up the breeches. I love them. I need them. I can feel virtuous about supporting a local business who I really care about.

well, free shipping...

the store likely does not get it, plus hey have to eat the cost to have the item on hand (and many times have people come and try the item then go home and order online)

10 bucks is very reasonable. I prefer store front shopping vs online. I need to touch the fabric, try the item on. The 10 bucks beats the hassle of returning an item via mail or UPS or similar delivery service.

However, things that are way overpriced locally, online is the way to go.

(seems free shipping, as much as we love it, is part of the 'predatorial' practices larger companies use to squeeze little guys out of the market, like unlimited return policies etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

How much would you pay for shipping? All things being equal I will buy local whenever possible. Yeah, sometimes they are more expensive BUT I'd have to pay shipping which often evens things up quite a bit.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I never buy anything horsey-related on-line. I want my brick and mortar store to stay in business and they can't complete with on-line stores who don't have the same basic overhead expenses.

I don't save THAT much money buying on-line in the grand scheme of things. And, I'd be one unhappy camper if my local tack store(s) went poof.