The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony Breeders, tell me about Clouds Hill

We just purchased a new pony broodmare who is double bred Clouds Hill. I have to admit I don't know much about him. Teach away!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

No one?
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso

he's a TB stallion from 42?43 ? years ago

from what little I could put together, he was only really used by Woodlands on their PB's and he was quite old at that time...

your best best is just to email them and ask..

http://woodlandsponies.com/index.htm

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Thanks I've heard people talk about him off and on over the years, so thought I would find out more info.

Clouds Hill was foaled in 1969.He is a Thoroughbred. He is the sire of Starlit Hills Sundown, who is the sire of the famous High Fashion who has had 3 foals at my farm. High Fashion "Ginger" is a big bodied medium but bred to my Sugarbrook Blue Pacific (a 13.2 almost) who can throw size, did not throw much size with her three foals born here. Ginger is liver chestnut with lost of white just like her sire.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Didn't some of the Longacre ponies have Clouds Hill in them too?
    Crown Ridge Farms
    Breeding Quality Hunter, Welsh and British Riding Ponies
    Youngstock available for sale & Stallions at Stud
    www.crownridgefarms.com

Thanks for all of the PM's from people regarding Clouds Hill. In case anyone else is hunting for information on him in the future, I'm going to post the a very nice write-up that was given to me:

Clouds Hill was a chestnut Thoroughbred stallion, fairly small - under 16.0. He was by Mighty Monarch (who carried some size) out of a *Beau Chef mare named Black Dusk. He stood for years at Woodlands ponies. (Woodlands) searched for a number of years for the "right" Thoroughbred stallion and finally acquired Cloud's Hill. They retained a lot of his daughters which they then bred to their sons of Cymraeg Rain Beau and Hidden Creek's Rain Fox, both out of one of her best mares by Cloud's Hill, Woodlands Velvet Cloud.

Cloud's Hill did not stand to many (if any) outside mares while at Woodlands. The ponies by him were usually great jumpers and of good size. A few surprised and remained mediums. While his get did not always have the "pony head" that is desired today, they were athletic, hardy, and useful ponies. Many of the ponies Woodlands bred were 3/4 to 7/8 Thoroughbred.

Thanks for the nice write-up on Clouds Hill, Tracy. Interesting to read.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Sue Bolling Meredith (Woodland's founder) bought him in the early 1970's and used him exclusively with her mares. Woodland's has never bred their stallions to outside mares (it was just something Sue wasn't interested in doing).

Cloud's Hill pedigree - http://www.pedigreequery.com/clouds+hill3

While growing up I saw many of his get in the ring.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Default Outside Mares coming to Woodlands

Sue and my employer during my teenage years, Mary Barnes, were good buddies, and Mary sent a couple of her mares down to Sue's to be bred, but they had to be field bred, which a lot of folks didn't want to do. Basically, we took the mares down there for the summer. Mary got two foals out of that, one for Grace Oeters, Just a Nip, and Pine's Kahlua, both in 1982. Not sure what happened to Kahlua, but "Roly" is with me today, by chance. Both were by Prince of Princes.

Just saying that Sue did take outside mares. Maybe just for her close friends, but I wonder if she didn't do more.

Quote Originally Posted by BaaramuLuke
    Just saying that Sue did take outside mares. Maybe just for her close friends, but I wonder if she didn't do more.

This. Offered to breed some of my mother's ponies at the time as well. Only for very close friends.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Default clouds hill

I have had two by clouds hill, all ended up small horses. I must say they were beautiful, amazing movers but not easy to ride, both a bit quirky and liked to put in random athletic bucks at times.