The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Suggesting to drug test a horse....

Obviously this is an alter COTH name since I aim to stay anonymous on this touchy topic.

Scenario:
    Recently was hanging with several buddies at an AA show and overheard a rather disturbing conversation. Trainer X was telling the groom the appropriate dosage for a particular horse for some Ace and Dex and when to . I assume she had no idea that my friends and I were accross the aisleway. We were sitting down so I guess she did not see us, but we glanced over to see she was discussing this about a horse my friend would be showing against the following afternoon! . This horse does the rated shows regularly and I would have never suspected this behavior from this trainer. I know this is completely frowned upon and that she will eventually be caught. However, is there an appropriate way to get the show management involved?

I know my friend is much more upset since she is competing against this other horse.... WWYD?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Speak with the steward? Assuming this is rated, so USEF rules apply. I don't think you can suggest horses to be drug tested. Perhaps talking with your trainer, who can then speak with show management?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I would suggest you contact Drugs & Medication for information regarding this scenario. http://usef.org/_IFrames/Drugs/contact.aspx

You can reach them via phone or email. They are very good at responding to inquiries and you wont have to guess whether or not the information you receive is accurate or not.

Who would be dumb enough to use Ace at a USEF rated show?

Quote Originally Posted by bjd2013 View Post
    thats what im saying

Are you sure that you heard what you thought you heard? I agree with others that ace'ing a horse at an AA show is so dumb as to be practically unbelievable. There are lost of other ways to get the same effect that skirt the legality of the drug rules while not being such a blatant violation.

And dex isn't illegal.

here is an innocent scenario:
    trainer is discussing the trailering home preparations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    here is an innocent scenario:
    trainer is discussing the trailering home preparations.
    'Innocent' only if the horse isn't showing for the next 7 days.

Look at the USEF Hearing Committee penalties. That'll tell you who's 'dumb enough'.

Maybe they weren't discussing that horse? As in, yes showing horse was in the crossties, but may not have been the horse they were discussing meds for.

You cannot "suggest" that a horse should be drug tested. It's random, to prevent you from sticking your arch rival's horse and then suggesting it be tested. Show management cannot involve itself either, unless there is some blatant and undeniable problem. Frankly, there is nothing you can do about the conversation you think you overheard. I find it unlikely that there would be a discussion about Ace for a horse that was showing the following afternoon. Even putting aside the fact that it's a stupid thing to get caught for, you wouldn't be discussing it until much closer to the class. Dex, of course, is not illegal, and would be given the night before. Any chance you misheard? Arquel, Adequan, "A" something of something? "Eight" cc's of something? Or the horse's barn name is Ace or something that starts with an A? Lots of possibilities for mishearing across an aisle.

If you read the current USEF online publication, you'll see that some well known individuals have been fined for the use of ACE at horse shows.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy
    Stash

Keep your eyes up, shoulders back, heels down, and your nose out of other people's conversations.

I'm not saying to look the other way to abuse or neglect, but ever hear of the Whisper Down the Lane? Sometimes you think you hear things you don't.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I agree with pretty much everyone else.. you could've misunderstood "ace." Or, if you're sure it's what you heard, she could've been talking about a different horse, or discussing the use of ace for the trailer ride home (as someone above mentioned). There are so many different possibilities.. I really wouldn't jump to conclusions on this one.
    "It's hard to wait for something you know might not happen, but it's even harder to give up when you know it's everything you want."
    Blog | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    If you read the current USEF online publication, you'll see that some well known individuals have been fined for the use of ACE at horse shows.
    Wow. Well I'm appalled, I went and looked at the list.

I'll elaborate what I heard across the aisle.

Horse in the crossties was being tacked up to show. The trainer tells the groom what to give him right then and there AND the following day where my friend would be showing against him.

Hard to misunderstand the words ......"Go ahead and do 1 and half cc's of ace in a few minutes" .... conversation continues.... " we'll do the same tomorrow, might be less, I'll let you know " ......when I am 12 feet away. The trainer wasn't loud or anything about it, but she definitley didnt know we were just feet away.

If I didnt know what I heard I wouldnt be bringing it here.

Brings up a question though... how random and often is the drug testing? This horse and trainer have been doing the circuit for a few years. I guess I just havent been THAT exposed to it before ...

Quote Originally Posted by HinderFonder View Post
    I'll elaborate what I heard across the aisle.

Horse in the crossties was being tacked up to show. The trainer tells the groom what to give him right then and there AND the following day where my friend would be showing against him.

Hard to misunderstand the words ......"Go ahead and do 1 and half cc's of ace in a few minutes" .... conversation continues.... " we'll do the same tomorrow, might be less, I'll let you know " ......when I am 12 feet away. The trainer wasn't loud or anything about it, but she definitley didnt know we were just feet away.

If I didnt know what I heard I wouldnt be bringing it here.

Brings up a question though... how random and often is the drug testing? This horse and trainer have been doing the circuit for a few years. I guess I just havent been THAT exposed to it before ...
    1 1/2 cc of ace in the vein is way more than you would show one on. In the muscle, the timing wouldn't be as critical. Sounds like you have been exposed to a stupid trainer.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

We were out schooling one day, and a well-known pony rider was there as well. The kid's mom was standing at the rail, about 6 feet away from me. The mom yells out that the pony was looking really good so they should go ahead and enter her in xyz show that weekend, and just give her some Ace before the classes. I was shocked. She didn't seem to care that there were multiple people within earshot. Some people are just that arrogant and think they're above the rules. I was tempted to call the USEF and give them a heads up, but didn't.

So.... Where is the dex part? Or are you mistaken, since it's legal and all.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by HinderFonder View Post
    To give you an idea of how often shows are tested, you can look at the shows and dates that were tested from the 2011 competition year here: http://usef.org/documents/drugsMeds/...011_TESTED.pdf.

And each testing vet has a different method of picking horses but the goal is to be random. Maybe you pick 1st and 6th from each class one time and 3rd and 4th the next. The idea is to keep it random and not develop a pattern.

Maybe they have just gotten lucky...so far

Or maybe there is something else to the story that we don't know....
    Last edited by comingback; Feb. 9, 2012 at 08:55 AM.