The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: The purpose of the noseband is:

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the mouth shut

15 22.39%
  • Prevent jaw bracing

11 16.42%
  • keep the bit from falling out of the mouth

1 1.49%
  • Improves the appearance of the head

17 25.37%
  • Prevents bracing

5 7.46%
  • It's just for decoration

21 31.34%
  • Helps lay the bit flat and quiet

29 43.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    With the flash I can hold the bit in place in such a way my horse's tongue isn't having to support it
    The horse's tongue is *supposed* to support the bit. That's one of the first things you teach a youngster when you start it: you let the bit hang in the mouth so the horse can get used to it, and don't put it next to the corner of the mouth--no wrinkles, ever--until it's farther into it's training.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the same horse that you got on. It's our task as riders to make sure that the difference is for the better."

The original purpose of the noseband was to have something to tie a horse with without leaving a halter under the bridle or tying by the bit. A plain cavesson really doesn't do much, if anything other than to provide an emergency tie spot.

Other nosebands, such as flash, dropped, or kineton were developed to serve various purposes, though the jury is out on whether or not they fulfill their intended purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by threemagicalmares View Post
    The horse's tongue is *supposed* to support the bit. That's one of the first things you teach a youngster when you start it: you let the bit hang in the mouth so the horse can get used to it, and don't put it next to the corner of the mouth--no wrinkles, ever--until it's farther into it's training.
    I think we mean two different things by "support" but I'm so exhausted right now I don't believe I can explain in any way that makes sense. I don't think we're actually in disagreement in general, though.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mare View Post
    As paulaedwina already stated, I wasn't being PC either. MY horse does not need it. It's decoration.

This was already said. And the question asked was very misleading because it just simply stated "noseband" and not which types. Different types for different reasons.

Eileen
    Haha, I was mostly being annoyingly cheeky = ) I have known and ridden more than a couple of horses that didn't need a noseband, but it definitely improved the look of their head at a show!

That being said, let's be honest, there have been more than a couple of threads in the dressage forum on this board dismissing the use of nosebands as a crutch or gadget, so that's part of where my cheekiness came in I suppose.

The article did a nice job of explaining some of the history of a cavesson. I think, as I said before, it can be a good tool in a lot of cases, though I love to see a horse work nicely without one.

Quote Originally Posted by bort84 View Post
    I love to see a horse work nicely without one.
    Come over to my house. All 3 of my mares work well without a flash, crank, or noseband of any kind. Now I have a bunch of nosebands for sale.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the same horse that you got on. It's our task as riders to make sure that the difference is for the better."