The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: The purpose of the noseband is:

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the mouth shut

15 22.39%
  • Prevent jaw bracing

11 16.42%
  • keep the bit from falling out of the mouth

1 1.49%
  • Improves the appearance of the head

17 25.37%
  • Prevents bracing

5 7.46%
  • It's just for decoration

21 31.34%
  • Helps lay the bit flat and quiet

29 43.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default the Noseband

The poll allows multiple choices.

Do you know what the exact purpose of a noseband is for? Do you know the reasons behind the different nosebands and how to fit each one?

Excellent article on the noseband.

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...rpose-noseband
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Rather a misleading question, IMO.

The purpose depends on what you want to use it for, not what they can be used for.

It also depends on the type or noseband. A drop will help keep the bit flat, but a cavesson type will not.

They're just decoration to me.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

I voted for appearance and decoration. My horse looks better with a noseband.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I read a long time ago that a noseband was to prevent the horse's jaw from being injured by a heavy handed rider. I guess when horses were used for general transportation many riders were unskilled.

I never crank a noseband tight and prefer not to use a drop.

I work on flexibility and getting my horses to be soft so I don't need to resort to something restrictive.

I use a flash to stabilize the bit in my horse's mouth. He immediately gapes his mouth open in protest if I put a bit which isn't very mobile (loose ring french link, thin) in his mouth because he has a small mouth which other bits fit poorly. However, this means the bit moves a lot if left entirely to its own devices. I have to tighten the cavesson portion of the noseband tighter than I like (usually I can fit 4 fingers, instead of the recommended 2) because otherwise the flash pulls it down. I leave the flash fairly loose - he can very easily open and close his mouth - but it holds the bit more steady, and he better seeks contact.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Isn't it for clamping the horse's mouth shut?

You tighten it until they can't bite you anymore when you're walking them into the arena. Horses that bite are dangerous. Better safe than sorry.

I thought it was for attaching a tie-down so that the horse's head stays in one place and doesn't move?!

Arent they for hiding things? Like tacks?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Yeah, mine is just for decoration. For it to do anything to the bit it would have to be a drop and mine is not. And I don't use a crank so it's not tight.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I wanted to take mine off the bridle, but trainer pointed out that my moose-headed Lipizzan would look even more moose-headed with out it.

She's right, so it's as loose as I can get it. Two extra holes punched at the end. I'd like it looser, but I'd have to buy a draft noseband

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.

Hmm, the CoTH/PC answer? Just for decoration of course!

The other answer: depends on the horse = ) The cavesson is a tool like most other tack. It can be very helpful in bringing along a horse that is not 100% perfect and hasn't always had 100% perfect training. Ideally, you'd love to see all horses be able to go without one at all, but that's often not the case, at least in the short term.

It would be interesting to see all of the top GP horses go without a cavesson in their double bridles *evil laugh here* It becomes much harder to keep a horse super happy in the mouth at those levels under that kind of stress.

I wasn't being PC. My horse's noseband is for decoration. It does nothing.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by bort84 View Post
    Hmm, the CoTH/PC answer? Just for decoration of course!
    As paulaedwina already stated, I wasn't being PC either. MY horse does not need it. It's decoration.

The other answer: depends on the horse = ) . . .
    This was already said. And the question asked was very misleading because it just simply stated "noseband" and not which types. Different types for different reasons.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I use a flash to stabilize the bit in my horse's mouth. He immediately gapes his mouth open in protest if I put a bit which isn't very mobile (loose ring french link, thin) in his mouth because he has a small mouth which other bits fit poorly. However, this means the bit moves a lot if left entirely to its own devices. I have to tighten the cavesson portion of the noseband tighter than I like (usually I can fit 4 fingers, instead of the recommended 2) because otherwise the flash pulls it down. I leave the flash fairly loose - he can very easily open and close his mouth - but it holds the bit more steady, and he better seeks contact.
    If you switch to a dropped noseband, you can hold the bit more stable in the mouth without needing to"tighten the caveson portion".

That is EXACTLY why I prefer a dropped noseband to a flash.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I took the nosebands off all of my bridles--something I had wanted to do for awhile but I caved to peer pressure--when I read that a top judge/trainer takes the nosebands off HIS bridles, too. He only puts them on a week before a competition. I believe nosebands were invented by the cavalry riders who needed to use a bridle as a halter as well. Western riders have no trouble controlling their horses with no noseband. Saying that a flash stabilizes the bit is hogwash. The HEADSTALL stabilizes the bit.
    Last edited by threemagicalmares; Feb. 9, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the same horse that you got on. It's our task as riders to make sure that the difference is for the better."

Hmm the poll is missing an answer-
    Being an endurance/ trail rider, my noseband (which I can usually fit most of my hand under) is fitted with a ring to tie to for lunch breaks
    Seriously though when in the ring, I still don't really use the nose band. I put it on fairly loose but not so much so that it rubs. I did have a young mare that I used a flash on for a couple of month because she had a bad habit of putting her tongue over the bit. Once she stopped doing it- I stopped using the flash.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

IIRC, Nosebands appeared around the time land became fenced in and people started jumping. If a horse face planted it helped prevent a broken jaw.

But then all sorts of other fun uses were determined...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    If you switch to a dropped noseband, you can hold the bit more stable in the mouth without needing to"tighten the caveson portion".

That is EXACTLY why I prefer a dropped noseband to a flash.
    It has definitely been a consideration. I still keep the noseband as loose as I can, and my horse chews a lot, it's just tighter than my so-loose-it's-useless tendencies. (Translation: I prefer them for appearance only as well.)

As for the comment that the headstall stabilizes the bit - not in the same way as the flash, it doesn't. With the flash I can hold the bit in place in such a way my horse's tongue isn't having to support it, and his jaw becomes more mobile because it can be. He makes his preferences very well known, so flash use it is. (Until/unless I use a drop, which I believe would work as well or better.)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed