The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best hay feeders for...

I am spending a small fortune to convert my current all-weather turnouts (which are mud) into the real-deal, mud free areas. The problem is that I feed horses hay in these turnouts (each turnout is approx. 100x150) and the guy who is making them pretty and useful again says I MUST remove all hay from the ground daily or it will muck up the footing he's installing. So I know I need hay feeders, but I have a horse that has to eat off of ground level or he chokes. Anybody have a great feeder for hay that will contain most of the hay, on the ground, with very little mess to cleanup? They live in stalls at night and get their morning and evening grain in stalls, so that isn't a concern. I have grass turnouts as well, but they will spend a lot of time in these all-weather turnouts, so I will need a way to feed them hay.

We have been using Nibblenets (the largest size ground feeder) for the past two months because we were having the same problem. Hay was getting into the muddy parts of our paddock and the waste and the extra work was killing me.

I love them.

It has reduced hay waste to practically zero and makes their hay last longer. our horses are out 24/7 and they play hard with the nets (I find them all over their paddock) but they are holding up beautifully.

Big winner for me.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    We have been using Nibblenets (the largest size ground feeder) for the past two months because we were having the same problem. Hay was getting into the muddy parts of our paddock and the waste and the extra work was killing me.

I love them.

It has reduced hay waste to practically zero and makes their hay last longer. our horses are out 24/7 and they play hard with the nets (I find them all over their paddock) but they are holding up beautifully.

Big winner for me.
    Thanks!

Water troughs.
    They do knock some hay out, but it is better than putting it straight on the ground.

Use a 70 gallon rubbermaid water trough (or something approx that size) with a nibblenet inside and a few rubber mats underneath.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I also use a XL Nibblenet and I put it on top of a stall mat, so that I can sweep up the little bits that my mare doesn't eat. I've have my net for a year and it still looks brand new and it's outside 24/7. Totally worth the cost!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I use water troughs also. Even the small ones are perfect. Troughs are the way to go. They usually eat 98-100% of the hay. Not much if any goes over the side. And one trough is a short one, and it is rubber. The other one is a big plastic one. I also feed their hay pellets (they do not eat sweet feed type grains) in it also. Easy. Easy.

If they get water in them, so what, dump it out. Horses will eat the wet hay. One gelding I have poops everywhere around his hay, then on it, and then will not eat it. He still poops around the trough, but no hay is wasted, and no poop goes in the trough. Ya! I just move the trough around so he can fertilize other spots.

No water trough was harmed, or injured in the above posting, iow no holes were put in any water trough.

Even if the trough leaks water it still has a life. You can put them in the stalls also so hay isn't scattered everywhere.

www.grazingbox.com looks interesting.

I use small mesh hay nets hung low. In the stonedust paddock I have a homemade "hay tree" (wood post set in concrete in a tire, with an eye screw at the top to hang hay net from). Waste is minimal to zero. Hay lasts much longer. Horses are happy. I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherHorse View Post
    I also thought it looked interesting but getting one (even though they sell a kit) and putting it together was more work and more $$ than the Nibblenets.

I'm all for easy.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

pm sent

I sent you a pm-

I'm thinking a 50# freedom feeder bale net in a water trough/rubber maid would be perfect for your setup.

Avoid the metal grates if you want your horse to have teeth...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherHorse View Post

I use small mesh hay nets hung low. In the stonedust paddock I have a homemade "hay tree" (wood post set in concrete in a tire, with an eye screw at the top to hang hay net from). Waste is minimal to zero. Hay lasts much longer. Horses are happy. I am happy.
    I really like the idea of empty water troughs, but one of them will figure a way to move it around make a disaster. Do you guys affix them to something? My crew shredded (which I didn't know was possible) a jollyball.

The grazing box is really pretty, but a wooden grazing box would become lunch pretty fast for my crew. We have electric tape on the the inside of every single rail as each and every one will eat the fence if they can (and they have access to very high quality hay all day so it's a boredom thing).

I'd LOVE a photo of the of the 'hay tree'.

Thanks a million for all of the cool ideas and PMs! I think the net over the stall mat is a great idea and I'm thinking I can combine that with the hay tree idea to somehow make an immovable spot, away from the fence, that is easy to clean...My pens will be stone dust and FINALLY mud-free and nice so I very much appreciate ideas to keep them that way!