The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Talk to me about Mystic Replica, please

Does anyone here have a horse by him? What does he bring to the pot?

I love his damsire line, especially.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I've got a 2yr old by him. The horse is showing much promise just from his clearing of my nearly 5' round pen fence. I'm very impressed with Mysic Replica, and Mary Hazzard is such a professional. The stallion is by Babamist, who has a breeding record that can't be touched by any American eventing sire. I STRONGLY suggest breeding to this stud.

I am the owner(along with DH) of two Mystic Replica offspring. They are full siblings out of a Trak/Conn/? mare who evented successfully P and I with a Young Rider years ago.

Our 2000 gelding is very sensitive but kind. He can gallop all day, scores usually near the top in dressage and would probably jump clear more often than he does without an amateur owner up! He is also attractive, 17.1, sound with little maintenance and probably going to do his first Int. this year. He has never had a xc fault after several years at the Prel. level.

Our 2002 mare - ditto on temperament ( actually more sensitive), gallop, stadium, attractiveness. She is grey and 16.3. Her dressage is very good, sometimes a bit tense.
    Moved up to P successfully last fall. No xc faults in 5 years.

Overall I would say that their only weakness is how sensitive and hot they are. Who knows where this comes from but have learned a lot about how to make this type happier and expect to learn more from them in the future. I couldn't fairly describe them as ideal Amateur rides. But they are stuck with us!

Just wanted to add that their granddam won the team Gold medal at 1978 world champs in Lexington.

Hope this info helps.

Certainly, the Babamist line has a "reputation" deserved or not, for being more the hot/sensitive types. This may also hold true for those by Mystic Replica, though this is the first I have heard that directly
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Scubed, I wasn't meaning to infer that Mystic Replica passed on this "feature" particularly, since both came from the same dam - it's possible that this came from her. I know for a fact that they share other peculiar idiosyncrasies with her. Sigh.

Ironically, the reason MR was used by this breeder for many of her broodies was a combo of Babamist lineage and the lovely temperament of Mystic Replica. Not sure how the rest of the that group of babies turned out.

Maybe just the "perfect storm" with these parental units.

Mary Hazzard (owner of MR) would be a great resource for more info on him and his get. She is the real deal.

I have worked with a few MR babies (all full TBs). I have found they tend to mentally mature a bit slowly (maybe from mom) but are truly wonderful hores. They are sensitive (but I wouldn't call these particular horses "hot"), they try very hard and are very athletic.
    I got to "hang out" with Mystic Replica for a few days and he is a pretty spectacular. He has a fun personality...he rings a bell attached to his stall for peppermints...great manners, easy to work around and oh so handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Certainly, the Babamist line has a "reputation" deserved or not, for being more the hot/sensitive types. This may also hold true for those by Mystic Replica, though this is the first I have heard that directly

Babamist certainly had that reputation but most people I know familar with that family line all said the second generations were what you wanted (i.e. with Babamist as a grandsire). So crossing to MR would get you that generation....although from what I've heard of him, he himself has a lovely temperment.

I've sat on several by Babamist and by his sire Mystic when when I was younger. Usually smaller horses who were very VERY catty jumpers. Forward and independent....and didn't think highly of dressage (but would do what you asked). Smart smart smart horses and very honest. I generally liked the ride.

I've seen a few horses by MR. Maybe 4 or 5 now. Most were catty, shorter coupled--good hind ends. One I know is a taller ranger horse. Fairly distinctive heads/faces. All seemed like very good jumpers and smart. I know at least one going Prelim...and think there are others...and quite a few are show horses and nice hunt horses.

Mary Hazzard would be the best to ask. She knows her stuff.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 8, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Can't say enough good things about Replica. He is one of the kindest most mannerly stallions you will ever meet.
    I had the privledge years ago when he was a much younger man to get to sit on him and he was so fun.
    I found him to be very sensable and well mannered and fairly quiet.
    I also have gotten to see Mary jump and ride him on many many occaisions and he is nothing short of amazing over fences.
    He is definately one to have a look at.
    Mary doesn't do enough advertising though She is slowly getting the hang of the internet so maybe I can get her on here to tell you more about him.
    Otherwise....give her a call and ask her about him. She can tell you better then anyone and can answer any questions you might have.
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Babamist certainly had that reputation but most people I know familar with that family line all said the second generations were what you wanted (i.e. with Babamist as a grandsire). So crossing to MR would get you that generation....although from what I've heard of him, he himself has a lovely temperment.
    Debi Crowley bred a MR daughter to A Fine Romance and got a lovely, lovely horse. He was "Jackson," but his name was changed when he was sold and I don't know it now.

This is a replica baby.. he is big and out of my mare (who is a granddaughter of babamist).

http://www.tangerinesporthorses.com/teddygallery.html

Last I heard, teddy was super sweet, not overly careful in front (typical babamist and he got a double dose!) but "so easy to break it was scary" He is ridden by an older ammy.

The other replica I know is talented but a bit of a brat, testy and opinionated. He is 1/2 warmblood and I don't know the mare, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by TSHEventing View Post
    This is a replica baby.. he is big and out of my mare (who is a granddaughter of babamist).

http://www.tangerinesporthorses.com/teddygallery.html

Wow, that's a lot of watermarked photos...
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Debi Crowley bred a MR daughter to A Fine Romance and got a lovely, lovely horse. He was "Jackson," but his name was changed when he was sold and I don't know it now.
    Here he is with his new owner: http://www.hoofclix.com/Chattahooche...6014&k=mmPNDrS

He is a really lovely horse, very quiet and a great jumper
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Thank you subk and scubed for that info and for the link to his pictures. I appreciate being able to track him now.

Debi bred her MR mare (1/2 TB, 1/2 Trak) to AFR twice.The second foal, a filly, was outstanding, but was injured and is now a broodmare. Her first foal this year was an Ard Celtic Art filly!

I was very pleased when Debi bred her good mare to AFR.
    I have only heard very good things about Mystic Replica and felt that was a wonderful event breeding.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Have currant 3 horses by Replica have had 4 others in the past, all have been really easy to get started under tack and all good jumpers. Some easier to do in dressage than others but the Mom seemed to be a big factor in that.

Mary Hazzard is a wealth of knowledge and so good with lines and what crosses best with what so really worth a call to her!!

I love all mine!!!

We had a lovely filly by Mystic Replica out of our mare Good Queen Liz (dam of Salute The Truth). She was really fantastic, but we unfortunately lost her to a pasture accident. Her name was Mystic Queen - she looked like she would have been super fancy. She was very feminine and very athletic (and very opinionated). http://dodonfarm.com/images/mystie.jpg
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

What a beautiful filly Erin.I'm so sorry for your loss.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Hmm, there's a MR daughter x AFR out there and looking good.

I wonder what an AFR daughter x MR would look like...

Any guesses? Now, if only I could come up with a stud fee and the $$ for the ET costs to find out
    I, too, am sorry for your loss, Erin.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Thanks all. She was nice and it's never a good thing to find a horse down in the field.

Edited to add: I am very much looking forward to seeing more MR offspring on this thread.
    Last edited by Erin Pittman; Feb. 11, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Default Mystic Replica filly

I have a beautiful Mystic Replica filly out of a dutch/TB mare. She is becoming pretty fantastic. She is sensitive, but not particularly hot (although she does have her moments!). She is definitely bold and confident, but also very sweet and "in your pocket". She is technically only a year and 8 months, but she is already 16HH. She has a very beautiful, feminine head. I'm getting quite excited about her! Below is a link to some pics of Fiona taken about a month ago- she still changes every week or so!

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Blue%20Olivia/

Erin I was sorry to hear about Mystie. She sounded like a neat horse. You will meet my filly when she comes to Dodon for breaking!
    Last edited by cosmos mom; Feb. 26, 2012 at 04:10 PM.