The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BAD reaction to ticks- how do you deal with ticks?

Hi all, went for a trail ride during which my girl picked up a bunch of ticks. She ended up getting some very bad welts/hives to the extent that I called my vet who came out to give her a shot (steroid I believe) yesterday. She'll be getting oral meds for a few days as well. Obviously next time I will spray her before going were there is foliage. So what is the best insecticide to use to target ticks? Anyone had any luck with the equispot? Best way to check for ticks after a ride/post ride anti tick routine? It's tough with a winter coat- even though her coat is not totally shaggy, it's still long. Unfortunately horse is a sensitive skinned OTTB. This could be posted under horse care but I figure the trail riders probably deal with this issue quite a bit. At home, mare lives in a dirt paddock so the ticks have no where nice to live there so far as I know. Any wisdom on the topic GREATLY appreciated.

I ride with someone who has an Arab that gets bad reactions. Not saying this is something I'd do necessarily- but her vet told her to worm with Ivermection like every 4 weeks during tick season. She claims it works. I don't know if the ticks die immediately after biting and can't cling on for long periods of time to make the reaction happen...or........

My Arab gelding gets bad reactions, so I hope someone has some good ideas. He ends up on antibiotics sometimes because he gets fluid-filled sacs, usually on his chest or just under his front legs. I call them his man boobs. The vet has me pick the scabs daily so anything can drain outward. She also said Endure fly spray seems to work the best at keeping ticks away.

The best thing ive found for ticks is Frontline. My vet recommends putting 2 doses of the large dog size on each horse. First one goes down the mane, second goes down the butt and into the top of the tail.

This works WONDERS for me. Ive heard there is also spray frontline but have never been able to find it.

EquiSpot=crap.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Try spraying the legs down really well with a repellent containing DEET before each ride. If the weather allows you, washing the legs off after each ride is usually enough to knock off/ detect ticks before they climb up- and check the horse's dock and mane as often as possible for ticks.
    Most of the "horse" sprays don't repel ticks at all, and neither do any of the spot-ons (like frontline): they just kill them after they get on the horse, so they may still cause reactions.

My horse gets reactions of big oozie bites. He usually gets bit on tail, mane and sheath (poor guy!) I had good luck last year with the Bite Free Biting Fly repellent. I tried it on a whim, it was one of the few that said it worked on deer ticks. The usual Deet fly spray didn't even deter the nasty guys, but this stuff, sprayed every time I went on the trail, mainly in the main areas, seemed to work. I am also really vigilant after a ride to check him over, usually the ticks haven't bitten yet, they're just crawling around (yuck!) Now if I could just keep them off of me!

My horse gets very bad reactions to them as well. I have not had much luck with any sprays, no matter how saturated. The Equispot helps a little, but the best thing is to just do a detailed search after every ride and pull them off. Wetting down legs helps a lot. Don't even get me started on seed ticks.

There are lots of myths floating around -- but if you do spray, you want something with permethrin, as that is most toxic to ticks (except Carolina ticks, who are immune to nuclear holocaust).

We use Freedom 45 during tick season. It's the equine version of "spot on." It's very effective for both flies and ticks.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    We use Freedom 45 during tick season. It's the equine version of "spot on." It's very effective for both flies and ticks.

G.

Same here - and my horses have never had a tick attached (and it's tick central around here), so it must really work.

My horse picks up ticks like CRAZY. Can be on a trail ride, no one else has a single tick, yet, i'll find many on him. In fact, been a warmer winter, and I found a decently engorged tick in his mane in DECEMBER!! WTH!

So, when going trail riding, I spray down his legs w/skin sensitive OFF, then once back, I use Ivory dish soap on his legs and wash all of his legs.

I have been doing that for over a year, and it REALLY has helped. He may still have one or two, but it cuts down the numbers by a lot.

I can not use the super harsh fly spray, or his skin starts to flake off, so I am kinda limited on what I can use on him, but this has worked really well for us.

I do a LOT of trail riding & have never had a bad reaction. It works good to limit the flies too.

My mare got too many ticks last year and had a bad reaction, too. I took to bathing her in dog flea soap before the weekend trips (she would get a bath anyways) and then spray her legs and lower tail with lots of OFF and it sure helped the situation. At rides where other people were picking lots of ticks off, I might find one crawling around but unattached.

During the summer, I spray with "Deep Woods Off" before trail rides.

The ticks are still biting here also.. They should be hibernating!

My mare has had a few reactions over the past month or so. Most around her utter region where there isn't much hair.

Mostly swelling like a marble and it must itch her like crazy. There are times I'll just walk behind her and she'll lift her hind leg for me to get under there and scratch.

For the reactions, I just recently tried the same thing I do for myself on mosquito bites and it works!

I'll make a thick paste of Buffered Aspirin and water in a plastic cup or whatever and spread it over the reaction lumps.

It took the itching right away from her. The lump didn't go down, but the itchiness was relieved.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll see what I can do. It is just awful to see your horse feeling lousy. She still has a lot of fluid under her belly. I hope she gets better. I love her very much. We did our first day of the oral meds and those go through Saturday. Hope she feels better.

My equine vet also recommends Frontline. Use the spray, don't rinse it off. It has a long lasting effect.

Bonnie

Right after I got Biscuit I was brushing him to tack up at a ride and found 1 huge and 2 smaller ticks on his chest near his front leg plus 2 more lumps where either they had bit and moved or other ticks had fell off. It took FOREVER for the lumps to go away. This past summer I saw a small tick up on his neck near his mane. I pulled it off and it scabbed over no matter how many times I pulled it off. It, again, took a long time to totally heal. He recently had one on the other side of his neck under his mane that was pretty big. It didn't leave a lump or scab over though.

I brush him before each ride and go over his body with my hands to make sure he doesn't have ticks, scrapes, bites, sores etc. I hate ticks. They are disgusting.
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

I've had good luck with SpotOn or Freedom45 to repel ticks. Did not find one tick on the mare last year, ever, while she was on it. It does irritate the skin of some horses, so maybe do a "spot check" first.

However, it's not particularly effective as a fly repellent. For that, I tried the orange stuff -- Deo Lotion -- and it was quite effective on everything but the really nasty biting flies (greenheads, deer flies). I used the "goo" directly on her face, and made up a spray for the rest of her.

And... that said, it seems like different repellents work better in different areas/parts of the season... A lot depends on local conditions.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    I've had good luck with SpotOn or Freedom45 to repel ticks. Did not find one tick on the mare last year, ever, while she was on it. It does irritate the skin of some horses, so maybe do a "spot check" first.

However, it's not particularly effective as a fly repellent. For that, I tried the orange stuff -- Deo Lotion -- and it was quite effective on everything but the really nasty biting flies (greenheads, deer flies). I used the "goo" directly on her face, and made up a spray for the rest of her.

And... that said, it seems like different repellents work better in different areas/parts of the season... A lot depends on local conditions.
    A couple of years back I sent a gelding to a friend for some work. He'd been treated with the Freedom 45. She kept it in a paddock with another gelding who was not treated. You could see a real and substantial difference between the "fly loads" on the two horses.

This isn't exactly a "double blind study" but was pretty illustrative to me at the time.

G.

Frontline Spray. Make sure you spray the tail very well too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    A couple of years back I sent a gelding to a friend for some work. He'd been treated with the Freedom 45. She kept it in a paddock with another gelding who was not treated. You could see a real and substantial difference between the "fly loads" on the two horses.

This isn't exactly a "double blind study" but was pretty illustrative to me at the time.

G.
    I didn't feel like it was working all that well on my horses, so when fly season started last year, I didn't buy any. At some point in May, I found one tube from the prior year, so I put it on the first horse who came to me. Within the day, she had maybe 20% as many flies as the other horses. Needless to say, I bought more. I don't know if we have a different fly population (we had moved between years), or if it were just my perception that it wasn't working. It sure worked well last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    I didn't feel like it was working all that well on my horses, so when fly season started last year, I didn't buy any. At some point in May, I found one tube from the prior year, so I put it on the first horse who came to me. Within the day, she had maybe 20% as many flies as the other horses. Needless to say, I bought more. I don't know if we have a different fly population (we had moved between years), or if it were just my perception that it wasn't working. It sure worked well last summer.
    I'm satisfied enough with the result that we use it regularly on the working stock. I still often do a light spray of Repelex but at least as often I don't.

G.