The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sell Your Horse clinic

I see so many ads with bad pics and little or no video, no seller websites/outdated sites, and so many sellers complaining of lack of time or expertise to make them. I had an idea recently and I wonder what people think of it? It's not especially well fleshed out yet, so use your imagination a bit.

A Sell Your Horse clinic.

The idea is to make it QUICK, INEXPENSIVE and EASY to market your horse.

Seller signs up for a spot and pays a fee to bring their horse to a multi arena facility where they can show the horse to the public in hand, under saddle, freejumping - you name it. They get a stall and a number and a card is put on the stall with horse/owner details.

Event organizer publicizes the event and buyers come.

Event organizer has videographers and photographers there who will take pics/record clips which you can buy in the event your horse doesn't sell on the day. Web designers are also there to put together a website for you within a week using one of a selection of templates. Vet is there ready to do PPEs and so on.

Fees would be something like:

$100 to bring your horse and show it to buyers for the whole day.
    $100 for on the spot pictures (5, conformation) and a 2 minute WTC video (loose or ridden)
    $100 for a 5 page website. You must upload text and images to the event organizer's site by x date.
    $100 for ads on all the major horse sales sites using the pics and video taken. (not sure how much thes really costs)
    Add ons: video editing, extra photos, custom website design work or custom URL, etc.

For $100 you could sell the horse on the spot, for $2-300 you go home with everything you need to market the horse (and a website for your other horses/business), and a lot of valuable industry connections.

Would this work? I know there are auctions and sporthorse sales, but they aren't aimed at helping the seller promote their horses outside the sale ring.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

I LOVE IT!

I think it is a great idea. Certainly would need to be done at the right location/time of year/yada yada. But its a great idea!

Count me in!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." *Thomas Edison
    A champion is a dreamer that refused to give up!!

The Mid-Atlantic Hanoverian Breeders Club did something very similar to this for 5-6 years running. We called it a "Sales Fest."

Simply not enough buyer interest. The last year we ran this event, you could count the buyers on one hand.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

great idea..... but it would really depend on who the pros were doing the actual work.

might work better to just "sell yourself" ie offer the service on site at people's own facilities...

ie: offer to take pics/vid/etc/

probably would be cost prohibitive tho....

at one time i tired to get together a "video co-op" (also tried to do a lunge lesson one too) where each person would get videod in return they would have to video someone else.... maybe i will dig that out again...

anyway, great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Hickory View Post
    The Mid-Atlantic Hanoverian Breeders Club did something very similar to this for 5-6 years running. We called it a "Sales Fest."

Simply not enough buyer interest. The last year we ran this event, you could count the buyers on one hand.
    Was it only for Hanos? What was the cost to the seller? Did it include pics, vids, website and ad help?

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    Was it only for Hanos? What was the cost to the seller? Did it include pics, vids, website and ad help?
    Yes - it was only for registered Hanoverians (though the last two years another organizer piggy-backed onto our date, and held an all-breed fest the day after ours in the same location).

We had 4 Sales Fests over 5 years, 2000 to 2005. Can't remember the cost to enter, I think it was around $200 and included stabling and advertising. Print advertising budget was huge, and the website catalog was VERY comprehensive and each horse had it's own webpage with pedigree, as much info as the seller sent, and photographs (I actually modeled the pages after the Verden Auction pages at the time - but with as many photos as were provided.)

We also paid to have the Fest taped, and sent out the copies afterwards to anyone interested at no charge so our participants could get some shelf life. THere was an informal presentation and cocktail party (free booze and very nice heavy hors d'oerves) on Friday evening, and the official presentation was on Saturday.

It was like pulling teeth to get the complete pedigree information from the entrants, and nearly impossible to get them to send us decent photographs to put on the website or for the print ads or the VERY nice catalog. In 2005 we encouraged video to be sent so that I could convert it and post it on the website, but we had no takers.

We were very committed to the idea, and a whole lot of people worked their tails off and threw a lot of money at it to make it happen, and to make it better with each passing year. We kept telling ourselves that Verden lost money for the first five years, and we could do it. Build it and they will come. They didn't, and we couldn't.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

See that's it - people say they can't take good pics and vids, and you saw that too. In the model I suggest those items are taken care of, on the spot. Quickly, professionally, easily and for a low cost. It's the volume that makes the photogs able to offer the service at a low rate that is attractive to sellers.
    Last edited by Xanthoria; Feb. 8, 2012 at 02:05 AM.

Xan, I think you have a great idea. my only other comment would be to be sure to hire a GOOD photographer and videographer.... and be sure that the folks get the media right then - no waiting for someone to send the media at some point down the road....

it will really rest on the quality of your pros.... and also probably the centrality of your location.....

eta: you might also think to include grooms to help prep horses, sales templates, etc. (riders too maybe? )

rereading your model, a 2 minute video for $100 is a bit steep... what if in that 2 minutes the horse didn't do anything presentable?

thats the problem with relaying on others for video.....

It's true about doing it on the spot I think you'd need a nice backdrop or scenic spot for confo pics - just walk the horse to the x and do left, right, front, back, head - bam! You get a link to them emailed to you.

Then the vids would be ridden, loose or free jump - sign up for a time slot, you get 15 mins in front of the camera edited down on the spot to 2-3 mins (not 2 mins in front of camera), and loaded to YouTube. Again, you get a link (no disc burning cost etc)

i think the idea ia really good. Personally i would not want my media to be held by others and i would want it all.... not waiting for someone else to upload it etc. I just have heard of too many horror stories about that ...

but if you have good pros that know how to take pics / vids of horses, in a central location, you might be able to provide a great service....

i still think tho that doing this farm to farm would probably get you more biz....

maybe you could do this as a "add on" to local shows?

Sounds a lot like the auction I got my horse from (professionals something...its slipping my mind).

Basically, owners pay $___ to bring their horse for a day or two, get a stall and get to ride in "classes" not unlike a show. Buyers get to watch, but can also ride the horses and vet them.

Then the auction takes place. It was a fantastic way to sell.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

mbm not a bad idea about setting up at local shows: you could have a van set up with computers to edit/load pics and vids, and/or burn discs for people who preferred that. One person who will video and photograph, another taking appointments, payment etc.

AliCat I think the difference with this idea is the seller gets access to photogs, videos, web and ad help on the spot. You walk away with everything you need to sell your horse, if it doesn't sell on the day. You don't need to find a videographer or a web designer or chase them up for a day to meet for photos and another for web design and so on and on and $$$on$$$!

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i still think tho that doing this farm to farm would probably get you more biz....
    I thik that'd work if each farm had at least 2-3 clients who wanted the whole package (pics, vids, site, ads) or several people wanting just pics/vids.

Most photogs have a minimum they'll work for in the few hundred dollar amount for a reason, I'm sure.

Certainly at a special event you'd make the most money - photograph 20 horses in one day, do a dozen videos and half a dozen web sites on one day and you're set. Cost of facility rental would come from entry fee.

I think you can invite potential buyers to an event like this, but not likely to get enough in attendance to promote it as such, IMO. I think it is a workable idea if the major idea is to pool regional resources to help folks have access to quality media tools.

Yes, I think you're right. Even some of the bigger stallion owners locally don't have video and pics on their youngstock for sale, which you have to wonder about.

The breeders of my mare do professional videography at reining events of all things... and those guys are very high tech....

they video the run and the rider can come watch it right after his run..... they have a van set up so that folks can do so - they also do live streaming etc. http://www.gallopingvideo.com/

so its possible to do this kind of thing....

i think the idea of a van with everything in it is cool. spendy tho.

i think most folks just dont know how to take good video nor edit it and put it online etc. plus as i said elsewhere - sometimes there just isnt *time*.

so someone who will help in this department would be great i am sure!

There seem to be many sellers (not usually breeders) who appear to have NO CLUE what a good photo is! They would not attend an event they didn't know they needed.
    Other than that, I think your idea would only work in an area with a VERY high concentration of horses and buyers.
    I would probably attend one if I could, but I bet it would be too far away...