The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,688

    Default Looking for a grey Irish Draught to breed to

    I am shopping around for a stallion for my mare and am hoping to find a nice large grey Irish stallion to breed my mare to. Have always wanted an Irish or Irish cross, and since I ended up buying my mare back I would love to breed her for a horse for myself.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2007
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    I really like the stallion Dandelion Diamond Rebel
    http://www.irishdraught.com/horses/p....php?unid=1929
    he is a homozygous grey I believe and very tall...he has a career as a Master horse. He is on my list of stallions to use. other wise here is the list of approved Irish Draught stallions in North America.
    http://www.irishdraught.com/horses/roster.php?sunid=17
    I will add that I just saw that Lionwood Kinsale's Lad is now doing 4th level dressage in Wellington and placing well. He is a heterozygous grey by the wonderful OLeary's Irish Diamond who died after becoming a Breyer model.
    These are some new stallions available with frozen.
    http://www.shelbournefarm.com/casanova.html
    http://www.shelbournefarm.com/cochise.html
    Both heterozygous I think and
    http://www.icarusparkstud.com.au/sta...d-imp-ireland/ also heterozygous. PatO



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2010
    Location
    under water, most of the time
    Posts
    237

    Default Foxglen Himself

    Serious Irish experts like PatO/Columbus and others on here can speak much better than me, but my SO who is a trainer has had a wonderful experience with a client's horse -- a RID/TB mare by Foxglen Himself (who is grey). Sweet, steady, and a bit of a character to boot; she's extremely balanced, jumps well, has auto lead changes, and is handling her first season of field hunting with aplomb.

    We don't have the depth of data others have, but this one example is quite good. Best of luck!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Lots of gray RID's to chose from but here's Sophie's half brother
    http://irishdraught.com/horses/profile.php?unid=5700
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 9, 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Farm View Post
    Serious Irish experts like PatO/Columbus and others on here can speak much better than me, but my SO who is a trainer has had a wonderful experience with a client's horse -- a RID/TB mare by Foxglen Himself (who is grey). Sweet, steady, and a bit of a character to boot; she's extremely balanced, jumps well, has auto lead changes, and is handling her first season of field hunting with aplomb.

    We don't have the depth of data others have, but this one example is quite good. Best of luck!
    Seconding Foxglen Himself. He's absolutely lovely and I like the look of his babies.

    Bellwether Irish Draughts has several very nice stallions to choose from. They make me wish I was taller

    http://www.bellwetheririshdraughts.com/

    Susan his owner is lovely to deal with too and should be able to point you in the right direction in regards to a stallion that will suit what you want.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 1, 2007
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    I Will second Pat O in Dandelion Diamond Rebel. I had a stunning IDSH by him - my gelding is just starting a dressage career in CA. I have seen a number of pure breds and sport horses by him and they were all above average.

    I also like Lionwood Kinsale's Lad, but have not seen any of his babies.

    Bellwether is a great farm to work with - I love her Calico, but he is young with his first couple of foals born last year.

    Braveheart has produced nicely as well - he events and hunts in TX. Great owner to work with. he is by O'Learys Irish Diamond who also sired LKL mentioned above.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

    Join us on Facebook



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    I Will second Pat O in Dandelion Diamond Rebel. I had a stunning IDSH by him - my gelding is just starting a dressage career in CA. I have seen a number of pure breds and sport horses by him and they were all above average.

    I also like Lionwood Kinsale's Lad, but have not seen any of his babies.

    Bellwether is a great farm to work with - I love her Calico, but he is young with his first couple of foals born last year.

    Braveheart has produced nicely as well - he events and hunts in TX. Great owner to work with. he is by O'Learys Irish Diamond who also sired LKL mentioned above.
    LOL, it would be hard to forget DDR at the IDHSNA nationals a few years ago....middle of the afternoon, sparkling white, flat out snoozing in his stall
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2003
    Posts
    646

    Default You might consider "Ollie"

    Contact Kate Triplett of Homesick Angels Farm. She has a nice big grey RID stallion.

    http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Ollie03.html

    Kate is very good to work with and lots of fun.
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    Chair, USSHBA Positive ID Working Group; USSHBA Steering Committe member



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2007
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Where are you located? PatO



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sylvan farm View Post
    Contact Kate Triplett of Homesick Angels Farm. She has a nice big grey RID stallion.

    http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Ollie03.html

    Kate is very good to work with and lots of fun.
    Yup, Sophie's half brother . Kate posts here as AdAblur02. I bought my GGT arena footing through their company
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2012
    Posts
    202

    Default

    I second/third Foxglen Himself, we have babies coming this spring by him and are really excited. I'd also look at Acorn Hill's 2 grey Irish stallions. They are both ISH's, but I love both of them



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,688

    Default

    Thanks everyone! I am torn between Foxglen Himself and Dandelion Diamond Rebel. They are both stunning horses.

    I really like that Dandelion Diamond Rebel is eventing and foxhunting. Plus he has quite a bit of size on him. My mare is only a little over 16h and would like to hope for something a little larger out of her.

    This is my mare:

    One of my students jumping her
    http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...panneljump.jpg

    And this is of her teaching the little girls how to ride
    http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...idingAlida.jpg

    Does anyone have pictures of babies that they have by either of them?



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 1, 2007
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    My DDR guy is about 16.3 out of a 15.2 mare. None of his youngsters I've seen have been small. Here is my breeding winning (high score for all ages) Twin Rivers FEH

    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...Rivers2010.jpg

    here he is as foal.
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...=Rory9-134.jpg

    He also has wins and high placing at other FEH venues and USDF shows.

    I have a good collection of DDR pictures if you want to message me with an e-mail to send them to - He's close to me and has attended a National show I was at.

    This is a horse by him - Not advertising this horse as OP is not looking to buy but breed and looking for offspring. DDR was sold a few years ago and this horse was bred & still owned by DDR's previous owner http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-1396474.html
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

    Join us on Facebook



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    My DDR guy is about 16.3 out of a 15.2 mare. None of his youngsters I've seen have been small. Here is my breeding winning (high score for all ages) Twin Rivers FEH

    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...Rivers2010.jpg

    here he is as foal.
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...=Rory9-134.jpg

    He also has wins and high placing at other FEH venues and USDF shows.

    I have a good collection of DDR pictures if you want to message me with an e-mail to send them to - He's close to me and has attended a National show I was at.

    This is a horse by him - Not advertising this horse as OP is not looking to buy but breed and looking for offspring. DDR was sold a few years ago and this horse was bred & still owned by DDR's previous owner http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-1396474.html
    Love the description of the mare for sale....it fits so many Irish Draughts and their crossreds.

    Sophie was inspected at the national show three years ago. IIRC she was quite impressed with DDR, as I was
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    My DDR guy is about 16.3 out of a 15.2 mare. None of his youngsters I've seen have been small. Here is my breeding winning (high score for all ages) Twin Rivers FEH

    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...Rivers2010.jpg

    here he is as foal.
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...=Rory9-134.jpg

    He also has wins and high placing at other FEH venues and USDF shows.

    I have a good collection of DDR pictures if you want to message me with an e-mail to send them to - He's close to me and has attended a National show I was at.

    This is a horse by him - Not advertising this horse as OP is not looking to buy but breed and looking for offspring. DDR was sold a few years ago and this horse was bred & still owned by DDR's previous owner http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-1396474.html
    Thanks! Very cute boy. Just have to run the numbers for everything, but I think I will be contacting them about DDR. I have always loved the big Irish boys but never had a mare to cross to. Since I bought this girl back who is well built and has a talent I would love to get a nice big foal out of her.



  16. #16

    Default

    Definitely check out Kate Triplett's stallion Manu Forti's Touch Down. I have watched many of his foals grow up and they are stunning. Wonderful dispositions on them all.

    http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Ollie03.html



Similar Threads

  1. 1/2 Irish Draught is not too massive
    By columbus in forum Eventing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Oct. 28, 2011, 09:08 PM
  2. New Irish Draught stallion
    By columbus in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jun. 4, 2011, 03:30 PM
  3. Irish Draught bloodline help...
    By TSHEventing in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb. 1, 2011, 12:08 PM
  4. Irish Draught stallions
    By Horsecrazy27 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: May. 12, 2010, 09:18 AM
  5. Irish draught and Irish sporthorse breeders
    By incahoots in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 237
    Last Post: Jan. 22, 2009, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness