The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lessons/training in Indy

Hi all! A very good friend is moving to Indianapolis. After congratulating her on her new job, of course my first remark was "But where are you going to RIDE???"

The quality of the instruction and availability of lesson or lease horses are the primary concerns; distance and direction from the city are secondary.

She's been riding with FEI trainers/USDF Certified Instructors (T-4th), for about 6 years now. She's schooling 3rd-4th level consistently and currently has our trainer's semi-retired GP horse as her designated lesson horse. We all realize that's an awesome opportunity and one not likely to be replicated in Indy.

She's in her late 20s, is a brave and pretty well-rounded rider, and very open to cross-training. She'd probably be happy at an eventing barn too, as long as the instruction is quality.

Any suggestions? (PMs on places/people to avoid would be welcome, as well.) Thanks!
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Sent you a PM!

Check out Jennifer Conour- she has a barn near Indy. She should be getting back from Florida later this week.
    Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

I'd be interested to hear the replies as well. I'll be moving to Indy some time between now and May at the latest to start school. I've schooled up to PSG but I'd say I'm a solid 4th level. I'd also need a trainer with lesson horses available (being a broke student and all :P)

Sorry to hijack!

Look up Nancy Kleiner. I LOVE her. She is actually based down around Bloomington, but she comes up and trains at a ton of barns around Indy. http://www.stonecreekranchindiana.com/lessons_nk.htm

I can't say enough good things about her. Even though she's capable of training way beyond anything I'll ever reach, she's more than happy to work with me and my silly Arab. I have zero interest in ever competing in dressage besides the occasional extremely local schooling show. I take dressage lessons to work on being supple and balanced so he can better do his job on the endurance trail. I don't ever feel like she treats us any differently than she would a client who is serious about moving up the levels.