The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yep. After my first surgery they packed my face with gauze soaked in a liquid cocaine suspension for pain relief & vasoconstriction. I woke up feeling like my face was on FIRE! Yes, please load 20 pounds of ice on the face of the girl who got kicked by a horse and just had massive amounts of infected bone chiseled and sawed out of her face....
    Holy shite...that's way beyond OW.

The woman isn't experienced unless they mean "Rides regularly."
    Unfortunately the non-equine world assumed anyone who rides on a regular basis is experienced. They equate it to things they do: like driving a car. They drive everyday, so they're an experienced driver and not a beginner. Must be the same for horses, right?

They don't take into consideration that they might drive every day and be very comfy and experienced with regular driving conditions in a wworking vehicle.
    However put them on icy roads in a car with sketchy brakes...now how experienced are they?

Similar with horses in regards to experience. A stunt driver would find the situation above a real job to tackle but could pull it off. Soccer Mom or Work Commuter? Call 911.

She looks like those "but I'll fix this horse" folks without the experience to back it up yet. We all love horses and find them cute and fuzzy and sweet. But reality is it's a half ton prey animal with a strong fight/flight instinct and not the best sense of self preservation. Add in that we're sitting about 5' off the ground on something that can move very fast or catapult their rider at serious speeds...recipe for serious injury. There's a reason there's a saying that it's not IF you get hurt riding but WHEN and HOW BAD.

As for the sueing for huge damages because people shouldn't ever allow any horse to act like a freaking horse? Dumbass. Greedy Dumbass.

Sue the horse for being a horse. Can't sue the seller for having a horse that acts like a horse.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Holy shite...that's way beyond OW.

The woman isn't experienced unless they mean "Rides regularly."
    Unfortunately the non-equine world assumed anyone who rides on a regular basis is experienced. They equate it to things they do: like driving a car. They drive everyday, so they're an experienced driver and not a beginner. Must be the same for horses, right?
    Or the imfamous... 'You have had your horse ## years but you still take lessons? Don't you know how to ride it yet?' [coming from a face with a 'boy are YOU stupid' look on it]

ETA and how many of us have been around those folks who have ridden for YEARS, we've seen 'em with our own eyes- week after week, year after year- diligently taking lessons and still sucking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Yep. After my first surgery they packed my face with gauze soaked in a liquid cocaine suspension for pain relief & vasoconstriction. I woke up feeling like my face was on FIRE! Yes, please load 20 pounds of ice on the face of the girl who got kicked by a horse and just had massive amounts of infected bone chiseled and sawed out of her face....

Just say no to drugs people.
    Facial surgery SUCKS and I've got lots of others to compare it to. But I gotta say the ice packs (no cocaine) were a total relief. They packed my nose with tons of gauze inside rubber gloves. And had to repack it when it kept bleeding
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    The article actually says although the owner knew the horse had issues, the potential buyer WASN'T TOLD.

"The court was told that the horse’s previous owner was getting rid of him after a fall which caused her to 'lose her confidence'. Her barrister said that Mr Patchcott KNEW THIS -AND SHOULD HAVE WARNED HER Red, who was being given away for free, was tricky to control before she took the animal for a ride."
    Actually, that's just what she and her counsel are claiming, not an established fact. I didn't see whether the owner of the horse says differently, but I would guess they do have a credible defense since the original case was thrown out. Of course I'm also basing that assumption on my limited knowledge of the US legal system and have no experience with the UK one so it is entirely possible that there was more going on than I understand. But hey, if you can't indulge in rampant speculation on COTH, where can you do it?

If her claims are accurate, I agree with you--she absolutely deserves compensation, and the horse's owners are pretty despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    The article actually says although the owner knew the horse had issues, the potential buyer WASN'T TOLD.

"The court was told that the horse’s previous owner was getting rid of him after a fall which caused her to 'lose her confidence'. Her barrister said that Mr Patchcott KNEW THIS -AND SHOULD HAVE WARNED HER Red, who was being given away for free, was tricky to control before she took the animal for a ride."

If I went to try a horse and the owner knew there were behavioral issues under saddle and didn't tell me and I got reared on, bucked and stomped -I think I would be pissed off too!

Twenty operations is a LOT OF OPERATIONS! That is pain and lots of lost work! This was not a little nose break.

I do have sympathy for this women. She was lied to by omission when she tried out the horse. What if you went to try a horse, whose past bad behavior was not disclosed and you were severely injured -to the point of needed TWENTY operations -how would you feel?

If she truly wasn't told about the horse's past behavior, I feel nothing buy sympathy for her and if she wins- good for her! I certainly don't think that it is right that a seller can lie about a horse like that and get away with it after it had seriously injured someone who wasn't warned!
    Except that there is nothing mentioned of why the previous owner fell off. Was she bucked off? Did she just fall? Did the horse spook/bolt/rear/stop suddenly? I did not read anything that made it very clear that the fellow selling the horse knew and withheld that it had a problem. Perhaps I am not reading enough into the article.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    Except that there is nothing mentioned of why the previous owner fell off. Was she bucked off? Did she just fall? Did the horse spook/bolt/rear/stop suddenly? I did not read anything that made it very clear that the fellow selling the horse knew and withheld that it had a problem. Perhaps I am not reading enough into the article.
    Exactly what I was thinking! Nowhere in the article did it mention HOW the owner fell off....Just the fact that they used the term "fell" off rather than "got bucked off" can make ALL the difference in the world. I wouldn't think much of getting on a horse that someone else just "fell off" of. I would, however, ask lots of questions about exactly HOW she fell off before I put MY foot in the stirrup. If someone told me the horse has "issues" you can bet I would want specifics before mounting up. You HAVE to take some personal responsibility for your own safety too.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

hmmm.

Horse's previous owner has fallen off and lost confidence. The horse is being given away.

hmmmm. I would think the horse is perfectly calm, safe and reliable. Wouldn't question it at all or expect any potentially naughty behavior....

Right...

ETA - not being snarky at any posters here - just that if I was the lady - I would have been pressing pretty hard for the details on the horse and the 'owner's fall' and would likely ask to see the horse ridden by someone else first!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    ... But hey, if you can't indulge in rampant speculation on COTH, where can you do it?

This should be someone's sig line!

On one hand, I feel for the lady, I've had my nose smashed and fixed too. Onliest, I was out the whole time (that med was some goooood stuff!) and pretty woozy for a good long while afterward. But I, or rather, my insurance paid for it.

However, a lot of people overrate their ability to 'ride' and are passengers instead.

To me, if a horse is being given away, and he's a looker to boot, something is amiss! Why wasn't the owner asking for money then? There's your sign, right there.

Falling off and bucked off are two differing things. On the way back to the barn, she may have been bugging him about her idea of walk and he wanted to jig, then he had enough of on the mouth and exploded.

I'm not fan of rearing and to me, when a horse even pops up in front six inches, it feels like they are going straight up. I once saw a girl slide off the back of her horse when she thought he was rearing straight up. He went up about eight inches or so.

Also, people can misinterpret a crow hop for a buck. I once heard a girl say her horse had bucked...when he had coughed. She was almost panicked.

Since looking at her pic, and I'm not a jumping enthusiast, even I can see she's not an 'expert'. It just looks wrong.

Overall, I think she should prolly suck it up and get on with her life. Especially in a country where the loser pays the winner's att'y fees. (I think I'm a fan of that law....)
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    ETA and how many of us have been around those folks who have ridden for YEARS, we've seen 'em with our own eyes- week after week, year after year- diligently taking lessons and still sucking at it.
    Have you been spying on me?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post

This should be someone's sig line!
    If someone wants it, they're welcome to it. I'd be honored to have a quote in someone's sig line!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I'm not fan of rearing and to me, when a horse even pops up in front six inches, it feels like they are going straight up. I once saw a girl slide off the back of her horse when she thought he was rearing straight up. He went up about eight inches or so.
    That's me. Rearing used to not bother me until once a horse flipped on me. I got over it most regards but now I'll bail off if they go up 4 inches. It just always feels higher than it is.

But yeah, whether her lawsuit has merit or not I feel for her with those injuries and 20 operations. I broke my nose once and just that was some of the worst pain I've had. Facial injuries hurt, not to mention the fear that you'll be permanently disfigured in the one place you can't really hide.

What kind of experienced horse rider doesn't know that horses can buck violently enough to unseat even them? Sounds like someone over estimated her ability.
    There's a reason it's the art of keeping the horse between you and the ground.

I was the victim of someone I thought I could trust, someone I thought had some horse sense, who asked me to ride their young mule they'd sold out of stat:she'd broken her arm (slipped on a curb) and couldn't ride her a time or two before the shipper came and got her. She just wanted her ridden a time or two before she left. Meh. I agreed, and she very nearly killed me- luck intervened and I didn't face plant into a fence post, but I came close, I enjoyed lovely road rash all down my back and hip I hit the fence so hard, and nearly tore my hamstring loose- I caught my leg behind the cantle to slow my fall ....and wrecked my confidence about strange horses. Now I'm no rodeo queen but this was supposed to be a 'ready to ride' animal- sold as such. I had no reason to suspect the trainer she'd used was rough and tumble with his mounts, and this mule was terrified of strangers. I just thought she was garden-variety looky and her ground manners were pretty darn good. No clue, nothing I saw from the ground said she's going to sling you into that fence right there in a blind panic. I can tell you that had I really been hurt- you can bet your boots I'd have seen her in court. Yes ma'am. She sent the mule BACK to the same jackleg...and she bucked him off over the panels. So, there's your ready to ride critter.

So did the seller just fall off the horse, or was the seller ejected? That would color my perspective.

Of course the buyer is going to claim that she wasnt told that the horse wasn't perfect... (you mean a free horse won't take you to the olympics? )

Of course the buyer is going to claim that it was a huge honking rear followed by rodeo bronc worthy bucks.... How else could an experienced rider become unseated?

Of course the seller is going to claim that all was disclosed...

Of course the one page article is NOT going to have all the details revealed in the previous case, ergo jumping to conclusions on the rankness -or not- of this horse is pointless based solely on what's written.

Honestly, seeing that this case has already been dismissed once, I'm more likely to side with the seller. Had there been gross negligence, the previous case wouldn't have been dismissed. I agree that this is a case of "follow the money"...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Have you been spying on me?
    Nope, just gazing in the mirror! LOL

And this, fellow amateur horse-buyers, is why you never, ever get on a horse you go to look at without seeing someone else get on it and ride it first.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    And this, fellow amateur horse-buyers, is why you never, ever get on a horse you go to look at without seeing someone else get on it and ride it first.
    AMEN. Preferably the OWNER.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I'll second that Amen!

Or the imfamous... 'You have had your horse ## years but you still take lessons? Don't you know how to ride it yet?' [coming from a face with a 'boy are YOU stupid' look on it]
    If only I had $1 for each time I heard that!
    Hey...if I did maybe I wouldn't need lessons, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Haven't read through all of these posts but just read the article and saw the 'experienced picture' of the owner and have to agree that I've never seen that position with such slack in rein on landing. I would have deleted such a shot on the camera instantly for embarrassment to myself, horse, and trainer!

Me thinks the plaintif seriously over exaggerated her experience for this free horse.

I say that because if you cannot ride a landing of a jump properly, you will not ride the downside of a buck or rear.

And dumb for not asking another or trainer to ride the freebie before she got aboard. Another immature amature mistake.

Good luck and thanks for the lesson.

And that is why when I had a well bred wb that was an unpredictable bucker and rearer (he put me in the ER 2x) When he was offered up for sale for next to nothing the ad stated that he was un predictable and has done both things and that there would be no test rides allowed on him. You could see him loose or on the lunge but not try him under saddle as he was dangerous. He sold within 72hr to a trainer that since he was stunning and beyond well bred was willing to take a chance with him. But no way in heck was I allowing anyone on him..