The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Man the ground is hard!

Ate dirt yesterday, first time in awhile, and am sore today. Irritated too.

Friend asked me to hop on horse, says horse has been fully rehabbed after injury and is ready for work, has NEVER been naughty just occasional sudden stops and little bitty bucks due to soreness from injury. Yeah, stupid me. I am not a trainer so what was I thinking,

Everything goes fine at the walk, able to get some relaxation, stretching down, so let's go to the trot! Stiff, braced, refusing flexion, try to get him to stretch down, refusing too, sucking back, so drive him forward and BAM. Sucker launches me. It was not a little buck either, it was a "FU" buck. You know the type of buck I mean. I have a hard time believing that this is a new behavior. That was a buck with intent, and I had no hope of staying on. Owner is mortified, says that he has never done that before. I am having trouble believing this right now, as I suspect this horse has gotten away with this is the past to get out of work. Of course I had to get back on after that but only walked with his head cranked in to my boot.

Just needed a vent, thanks to all that stayed tuned! That will teach me to ride unknown horses! I will save that for the pros in the future.

Glad you were not hurt.

I have learned, listen to the owner, then proceed by what the horse is telling you.

Glad you are ok. I've learned to not always listen to what my pride tells me and realize I'm not a young as I once was. When I get hurt now, it is a longer recovery. Hope you feel better soon
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Just a little tip:

I have fallen off about once a month since September with this crazy gelding I was dumb enough to buy. You tend to find the arena with the softest dirt! Our indoor is very nice to fall in! The dirt just really softens the blow.....

I'm really not proud that I have fallen off that horse so many times.

It's entirely possible that horsie feels better now, and is able to fully protest what he was once unable to (little bitty bucks hurt before, now he's pain free and can flip the bird as he sees fit!). And that he'd never done that before - horses act very differently with different riders.

Sorry you got launched. Just look at it this way - now you've filled your quota for a while and can go ride worry-free without getting dumped off your own horse! Try not to be too angry at your friend.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by WarDance View Post
    Just a little tip:

I have fallen off about once a month since September with this crazy gelding I was dumb enough to buy. You tend to find the arena with the softest dirt! Our indoor is very nice to fall in! The dirt just really softens the blow.....

I'm really not proud that I have fallen off that horse so many times.
    Definitely agree with this! My barn has some uber nice footing. Very soft to land on, lol. I too have come off my horse multiple times since buying her a little over a year ago(there was one month where I think it was about 6 times) so don't worry WarDance you're in good company.

Glad you're okay OP!

Thanks everybody! Sometimes it helps to complain to people that understand...

Bluey - You advice is very good. I am fairly certain you have a lot more riding experience than me so I have not learned that lesson yet.

Somermist - Yeah, good point on the pride thing. I guess I learned a new limitation about myself yesterday... I can't stick a buck that big. Thanks for the well wishes!

Wardance - Luckily it is not my horse so I do not have to ride him again. Otherwise, that is advice to remember! I hope you and your horse quit parting ways soon.

Heinz57 - You are definitely on to something that he feels better and that horses react to different people. However, I found out after I got launched that a previous trainer refused to continue riding him after a few days of rides.... so..... makes me believe that he has done this before. The owner did seem truly mortified so I am not really mad at her. Just mad that I came off and mad that I am sore...

The ground gets harder every year. I swear it was way softer down there when I was 20.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Same thing happened to me. I listened to an owner tell me about her perfect horse, then Dobbin launched me. He broke and dislocated my shoulder. I found out afterwards that last time she rode the little stinker he dumped her and she broke her collarbone

Moral of the story (stolen from House): "Everybody lies."
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013