The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'll video both my lessons and trainer's rides on my horse sometimes too. My trainer is good at giving visual explanations - like softening the contact is really pushing the horse's jowl forward slightly rather than just softening the rein.

it also helps me to watch her rides on my horse so i know the response to his reactions and what the overall picture should look like.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

I don't journal after a ride or a lesson but can see where it would be helpful. I did journal every ride while rehabbing a suspensory, and that was extremely helpful when consulting with the vet.

I blog (oops, my mistake for 'nouning' when I should be 'verbing'! ), but not after every ride - no time! I take notes after clinics (last year I had hubby video me and re-watched the video to take notes) and have started taking notes after lessons so I don't forget any epiphanies. I have the memory of a goldfish. Blogging and taking notes helps me remember what I did with certain horses last year or what I learned yesterday
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    I will say that watching a video of Hans Peter Minderhoud sit tall and calm while a young horse did everything but jump out from under him helped me do the same on my mare during a pretty interesting test.

TO answer the OP's question -- no, I don't journal about my riding. And I don't use nouns as verbs, either.
    Well, tell Oxford that it's not a verb:
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/journal
    journal

Pronunciation: /ˈdʒəːn(ə)l/
    noun
    1a newspaper or magazine that deals with a particular subject or professional activity:
    medical journals
    [in names]:
    the Wall Street Journal
    2a daily record of news and events of a personal nature; a diary:
    while abroad he had kept a journal
    Nautical a logbook.
    (the Journals) a record of the daily proceedings in the Houses of Parliament.
    (in bookkeeping) a daily record of business transactions with a statement of the accounts to which each is to be debited and credited.
    3the part of a shaft or axle that rests on bearings.

verb (journals, journaling, journaled)
    [no object]
    write in a journal or diary.

Origin:
    late Middle English (originally denoting a book containing the appointed times of daily prayers): from Old French jurnal, from late Latin diurnalis (see diurnal)

I started my OTTB blog last year. It was a way to keep a log of how we were doing at shows, share videos and such.

I brought home my new OTTB 2 months ago and started recording how we are doing on the same blog. New OTTB is right of the track so wanted to keep a Journal of sorts to refer back to if/when I get another OTTB later on in life! I wish I would have kept track of my first OTTBs progress since I find it hard to remember some of the 'stuff' we worked through and then compare with how far he has come in just 2 years. So keeping better records via blog now so I can remember better!

I'm not much of a writer- but after last clinic where I was trying to grasp a new concept which was frustrating me that it wasn't just catching on. I went home in a bit of mental self pity. Then in my pity party I had an epiphany... when in college I had a habit that when I was learning I constantly doodled. I have pages of notes adorned with sketches on the edges as I would draw when in lectures, yet I was quite successful in school. So I've started sketching out areas from lessons/rides/clinics, and in doing so it allows me to really ponder what was going on and how to duplicate it. Unusual- but seems to be helping (though sure someone will go through the sketch book one day and wonder what the heck it all means!)

Yep! I just started doing it, so I'm not sure how long it's going to last. I'm trying to write down a bunch of goals before hand & possible exercises to get there, and afterwards I mark which ones worked, what I didn't do/need to try again, and whatever new things I noticed that might be a goal for next time. I only ride 2/3 times a week, so it really helps to remember how my last ride went & what I should be doing if I've been off for a bit.