The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Engineering Explained HR

This just came in an email. PM if you'd like the photos that came with it.

Whew, this really does explain a lot of things ..

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used? Because that's the way they built them in England , and English expatriates designed the US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England , because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels.

Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?' , you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.)

Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah

The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass. And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything... and CURRENT Horses Asses are controlling almost everything else!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

well, I'll be. That explains everything

OMG, my husband is an engineer and he will LOVE this!!

Thank you.

I also know some that will love to read that.

Now, what size horses were standard for the roman chariots and why were those the standard?

send me your emails (PM) and I will forward the whole text with the photos that mix into it so you can use the full print to send.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Oh, Snopes. Pooh. I like the story myself but I did have an engineer in the family.
    His sense of humor ran to copying a picture of a very large Harnischfeger earthmoving machine and captioning it "I dreamt I drove my Harnischfeger in the Baja 500".
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    His sense of humor ran to copying a picture of a very large Harnischfeger earthmoving machine
    Dude. I'd name a big ol' drafty "American Warmblood" Harnischfleger... and see who got the joke.

Do you have a picture? Earth moving machines can't be bad.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Well, dang. I truly enjoyed the original post. Snopes had to deep six it. I did get a good laff from the 'What horse's ass...".
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

I read it through three times and couldn't see where Snopes disproved the link. It was busy sniping around the edges and arguing semantics.

Like most internet sources, Snopes sometimes has to be taken with a grain of salt
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams