The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gimpy semi-feral cat needs a barn home (Baltimore, MD)... home found!

"Hobbes" is a feral cat who a friend of mine had been caring for. Somehow he fractured the tip of his elbow -- his caretaker trapped him and took him to the vet, who said the fracture was already healing and he just needed some extended cage rest & extra TLC.

Hobbes has now been cleared by the vet and is enjoying being "out and about" in the great indoors. He will always have a bit of a limp, so his caretaker doesn't really want to put him back on the mean streets of Baltimore -- she'd rather he be somewhere a little safer where his mild "handicap" won't make him an easier target for a loose dog. He can put weight on the leg when he is sitting or walking leisurely, but when he wants to move quickly, he picks the leg up and "tripods" it. He's navigated stairs and short jumps with ease, but he won't be able to climb trees or that sort of thing.

Hobbes is neutered, vaccinated for rabies and distemper, and tested negative for FIV/FELV. Although he started out relatively feral, he's come off 4 months of cage rest with a "new and improved" personality. He still gives his caretaker perfunctory hisses, but she has been able to stroke the side of his cheek and rub his ear - especially when it's dinner time, and she has even been able to coax a purr or two out of him. Hobbes is accustomed to being near people and is not aggressive -- but will startle if you get too close. He loves the other cats in the other house (especially the male) and just wants to be their friends, although he is respectful of boundaries (and hisses), so he shouldn't cause problems with any existing barn cats.

He would need to be crated for about 2 weeks in his new home, to give him a chance to acclimate and learn the sights/sounds/smells... and also learn that there's a steady source of food! A crate and other supplies can be loaned for his adjustment period.

These guys do best when there are other cats around for company, to encourage them to stay -- I have another semi-feral female cat who needs a barn home, who I'd be happy to send along with this guy, if you need a two-for-one deal.

Does anybody have room in their barn for this little guy? He's had a rough couple of months and needs a break! If you are interested in him, let me know and I'll put you in touch with his caretaker. Delivery can be arranged anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Baltimore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbes.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	34916  
    Last edited by Erin; Apr. 3, 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

This guy is still looking for a barn to call home!

If there's a way to get him to CT, then my niece is looking for a non-aggressive feral barn kitty to keep her other submissive feral barn kitty company. Hers is a female, utd and spayed and also friendly enough to follow people but not really touchable.

No roaming dogs, 2 pet dogs both ignore kitties, not a coyote-heavy area.

Contact her on FB is the kitty can come to CT...
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sha...88598521150624

Her name is Shannon, she also rescues whatever she can get her hands on.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'll throw in some cash to help with transportation to CT if your relative takes him, MB.

PM me if the deal is done and the kitty is to go to CT. I can paypal as I did for Savoy 8's philly-filly. It's the easiest way to do it.

Original Poster

Thanks, MB (and c&c!)... I'll check with the caretaker to see if she'd be OK with a long-distance thing. That actually sounds like it would be a pretty good situation for him, because he definitely needs a friend!

Original Poster

Unfortunately MB's niece's cat was hit and killed by a car the other day. So understandably she doesn't want to bring more cats in... and Hobbes is looking for a home again.

I've updated the first post -- he's now off crate rest and has been given the all-clear by the vet. A better photo is attached below.

UPDATE: well, Hobbes was given free run of the house and has fit right in with the caretaker's other cats, so it looks like she has a new gimpy semi-feral housecat. Great news for Hobbes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbes-1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	35242  
    Last edited by Erin; Apr. 3, 2012 at 01:02 PM.