The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheese Grater Stirrups

So I just got some of these with my new stirrups (black steel, so cool looking!), but I can't get the darned things to stay in.

I bought 4" stirrups, and 4" cheese grater fills. One side goes in and then the other won't, so we figured it needs to be banged in... nope. It's almost like there's no "catch" on them so they pop back out.

What the heck am I missing??

Stirrups: http://www.sstack.com/english_fittin...k-steel-irons/

Graters: http://www.sstack.com/english_fittin...-stirrup-pads/
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

The grater pads I have dealt with have tabs/wings that have to be either hammered down or pilers used to smush down once you get them in the irons.

So you bang them in - then try to keep them in while you flip the stirrup upside down - and then there should be some excess metal on the grater part that will allow you to hammer it down/to the side or use pilers to press it down to create a "catch".

So the sides of the grater pad are first straight to allow you to put them in the stirrup...then you hammer the protruding/excess sides of the graters down on the underside of the iron...butterfly the sides down, each side should catch/grip either side of the iron...if that makes any sense...

Problem will arise if the iron is too thick for there to be any excess metal left to hammer down on the grater part - in that case, indeed, there would be nothing available to create a "catch".

If I could....I would recommend that you try Pro Jump stirrup pads. They acutally have a plate that goes on the bottom of the stirrup that screws into the pad itself.

The pad itself also isnt as harsh as a true chees grater but still gives the same grip. I love mine :-)

http://www.doversaddlery.com/projump...alub45q4jhwl55

A-HA!! This makes total sense, will try this tonight - Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    The grater pads I have dealt with have tabs/wings that have to be either hammered down or pilers used to smush down once you get them in the irons.

So you bang them in - then try to keep them in while you flip the stirrup upside down - and then there should be some excess metal on the grater part that will allow you to hammer it down/to the side or use pilers to press it down to create a "catch".

So the sides of the grater pad are first straight to allow you to put them in the stirrup...then you hammer the protruding/excess sides of the graters down on the underside of the iron...butterfly the sides down, each side should catch/grip either side of the iron...if that makes any sense...

Problem will arise if the iron is too thick for there to be any excess metal left to hammer down on the grater part - in that case, indeed, there would be nothing available to create a "catch".
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

A hammer always worked really well for me, make sure you get them really tight or they will bounce in the iron.

Use black velcro to hold the pads in the stirrups?
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

I had someone with a whole garage full of tools use some sort of vise? to bend mine in place - they've stayed put for years since then.

My farrier actually put mine in for me with some of his tools and they've never come loose in probably the 6 years I've had them (and I use them constantly!)
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

My barn was having some structural work done and a contractor did mine with a pair of large pliers. He had to pinch the wings straighter to get them thru the bars and then just smooshed them open and tight.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Get the wrap around comfort pads. Easier on your boots and they're comfy!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post
    If I could....I would recommend that you try Pro Jump stirrup pads. They acutally have a plate that goes on the bottom of the stirrup that screws into the pad itself.

The pad itself also isnt as harsh as a true chees grater but still gives the same grip. I love mine :-)

http://www.doversaddlery.com/projump...alub45q4jhwl55
    I love these too. And they won't scratch your hands, leathers or saddle.
    One of our local tack stores won't sell the cheese grater pads. She feels they provide TOO much stick and don't allow the feet to come out of the stirrup fast enough in a fall. She had heard of 2 accidents where people were drug a bit and feels it was due to the cheese grater pads. Just food for thought.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I hate the actual cheese grater types as I really want to get my foot free when I need to. Have seen a couple of injuries where people got stuck in the cheese graters, as mentioned above.

I have the Pro Jump stirrups and much prefer those treads, and especially like that they don't scratch my saddle like the cheese graters. I have plenty of grip still but not too much...so I'm with the others in recommending the pro jump pads.