The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody else have zero musical talent?

Somehow the music gene skipped me. I enjoy listening to music, and can read music, but can not tell one note from another when played. Can't sing along without getting rude stares from others, and in elementary school I was actually asked NOT to sing in music class. Some more musically talented people can look at a score and hum the melody. I have to figure out the notes (F A C E, E G B D F) and then plunk them out on a keyboard to hear the tune. Currently avoiding karoke night with friends who don't believe me when I say I can't sing.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Right there with you. Terrible voice, can't tell if I'm on pitch or not. I took piano lessons for years and it was a struggle. I never got the hang of reading music and would just memorize where my fingers were supposed to be from watching my teacher. Needless to say I don't play any more.

That would be me. It's genetic with me. No one in the family could sing a note, or play a musical instrument. I can listen to music and enjoy it while I'm listening. But, the minute it's over, I can't remember the tune.

I was probably one of the only children in the world who was actually glad when I got braces. They cut my lip when I tried to put the mouthpiece of the trumpet my parents had foolishly purchased for me to my mouth. Come to think of it, they were probably just as glad as I was, not to have to listen to that squawking any more. So ended a couple of tortuous years of lessons.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Take up the flute (Yes, I'm a professional flutist/band director).

Geez I just love the frank honesty of my fellow CoTHers! Great thread title, pony4me!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Count me in. My dad sang for a living, calling square dances. He ran a dance hall that offered sock hops for teens and square dancing for adults. In his retirement he visited nursing homes, singing for the residents. As much as I'd love to be able to sing--I love musical theater--I can't find the right pitch to save my life, especially in a choral group with other parts. Sigh...

I sound like a dying moose when I sing, and I don't even sing when I'm alone. I enjoy music, but not singing it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Not a musical bone in my body. My mother could play the piano and had a lovely voice. My sister was amazing on the oboe. Me, nothing. Despite years of singing and piano lessons, I cannot read music and certainly cannot carry a tune. I actually LOVE singing, I just know I suck so I reserve it for my alone time driving with the windows closed!

Default me too

In jr high my friends would hold my hands to keep me from clapping at assemblies because I couldn't clap on beat. I started taking piano lessons as a child and the teacher would play random notes and ask me to decide between two, I would always guess. I definitely never let anyone hear me attempt to sing...

But last halloween I traded a friend a halloween costume for a ukulele. My rhythm/musicality has gotten a lot better from teaching myself ukulele and my vocal music major roommate even stopped insisting that I use a metronome (because I've started to hear beats/strum patterns). Also in december I was in nashville during december and played cowbell on stage with a band and the singer told me I was one of the few who could keep a beat words I've never heard!

My vocal music major roommate thinks that zumba has also been helping me gain rhythm. I've learned quite a few songs on my uke and just started taking up guitar. I fight through the lack of musicality because music is really great... when you get it.

I think I have an okay singing voice but put an instrument in my hands and I don't know what to do with it. I'm pretty okay at ... Rock Band and Guitar Hero etc., ... at no higher than medium. I always wanted to learn drums, but it would be such a waste of time and money for me!

I am a middle-aged student teacher currently placed in a kindergarten class. I live in dread of those darn, stupid sing-along things that every kindergarten teacher is REQUIRED to sing. Okay, it probably only seems like they are required.

Honestly, I don't know what is worse: the nightmares I have about doing it, or the look on my student's faces when I actually do it. Either way, it is painful. I know I sound horrible. They know I sound horrible.
    Sheilah

pony4me is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

I had seven years of piano lessons. My mom kept finding new teachers, hoping for a "better" one. I felt sorry for all of them. One of them finally had the courage to confront my mom, and tell her it was useless. I've always admired that lady!

In high school we had a folk music club that was just for fun. I bought a cheap guitar, learned a few chords and could strum along happily with everyone else. The height of my musical career was when the club sang at a local mall. As with anything else, sometimes a lot of effort can substitute for a smidge of talent.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I sound like a dying moose when I sing...
    You owe me a new laptop, JanM. I just snorted and frightened my sleeping Jack Russell.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Me. I can sing on key (but with very limited range), but that's about it. I've tried several instruments over the years...I stink at it. Just cannot figure it out.

I cannot sing or read music to save my life. Can Not.
    However, I can play piano from memory (pick my way through it, one note at a time, the first time, then I'm pretty ok usually) and I'd like to try to learn to play guitar also.

This is SO me!! And like the OP, I have really tried.

I come from a very muscial family (both sides). All my cousins are musical - the one that pursued it professionally has, no joke, played in Carnegie Hall numerous times (and makes a full time living as a musician). My little sister is a voice major in undergrad currently. I also grew up in a very musical town (3-4 people from my public school orchestra went on to conservatories). My friends were all musical. I am just NOT. Always made me feel like a total black sheep.

I played piano from 1-9 grade and cello 4th-12th. I might be the only person in the whole world whose mom made them QUIT piano lessons. I actually got pretty decent at both - mostly due to thinking rationally through things. Could never memorize or do anything by ear! I have NO natural sense of rhythm, which I find is one of the hardest things for musically-inclined people to understand (it is so innate for some people!). I remember somewhere in jr. high realizing that you could find a beat when you listened to music...why, you could even tap along! (it took full concentration for me to do that, haha).

And yes, I avoid like crazy any time someone suggests karaoke! Singing is the worst. But look at the bright side...at least we have enough of a musical ear to KNOW we sound terrible - some people can't even hear that .

I can't sing, yet I was in chorus in middle school (pretty much everyone did it then, more a social activity than anything) and one year of high school. That was when it actually counted for a grade and we had to go in and sing just for the teacher... and yeah, that was the end of it.

I did play the trombone and baritone passably well, but really had trouble with things like tuning. (Couldn't for the life of me tell if I was sharp or flat, etc) I played those through the first year of college, where the same sort of thng happened as with the singing - once the teachers expected some actual talent I was done.

Me. I can carry the tune to Happy B-day if I think about it and practice... beyond that... nope. Played clarinet and piano- poorly- as a youngster. My mother can't sing either. Hoping my son gets his father's musical abilities.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma