The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle pads - Ecogold vs Ogilvy vs something else entirely?

This is a repeat post from H/J land, as another poster suggested I'd get good feedback on the Ecogold pads here. My apologies to those who read both forums.

I've got a jumper with a bit of a funny back, and along with her regular massage and chiro (plus a careful program under saddle), I am always looking for a pad to help ensure she's comfortable. My horse isn't cold backed per say, as much as sensitive across her loins. When she's feeling her best, she's relaxed, swingy and more ridable. When she's not, she gets rigid in her back, which in turn makes her more uncomfortable in the long run.

I've been looking at the Ogilvy and Ecogold halfpads, and am wondering which one might be more beneficial, or if there's something better out there that I haven't considered. I don't want anything that alters my saddle fit - I've got an Amerigo CC that fits her well, so I don't need to compensate for a saddle that's only so-so. I'm more interested in the shock absorption and the "cush" factor. I'll admit it too - I've been a bit sucked in by the M&M mashing video and am wondering if it might make my horse more comfortable.

Suggestions, opinions, experiences? I have used a Thinline pad, which I didn't really like, and currently have her in a Mattes halfpad, which she seems better in than the Thinline.

I use a Thinline line for my dressage saddle and Thinline with shims for my jump saddle, and I love them both, so I'm no help

I have just about every pad out there. I LOVE my Ecogold. I'm about to order another one for my dressage saddle. It is thicker (not super thick) but I haven't found it change the fit on my saddles.

I've had it a few months and used it on several horses and several different saddles. I love it and my horses seem to as well!

I have this one:

http://www.ecogold.ca/shop-by-product-type/-14019.html
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Have had my ecogold triple-protection half pad for about a month now, and I and the picky mare are loving it. She was coming back into work after nearly 2 months off, and her topline has returned to its former lovely form more quickly than usual. She also tends to be tight in her neck and back and get quick, and she seems to relax more quickly with it, as well.

I, too, have every half-pad out there (or have had) and I have it narrowed down to two for different reasons.

Jumping saddle: EcoGold Triple Protection half pad. i've tried using my Thinline with sheepy and he has told me he prefers the Ecogold.

Dressage saddle: needs a little lift in back (yes, the saddle fits, but the boy is so dang uphill that everything sits a tad low in the back on him), so I use my Corrector pad with shims in the rear. He also likes my Ecogold, but it makes the fit a tad too narrow in the front, so the Corrector pad works better.

I've tried: SaddleRight (still have it, haven't used it in forever), regular Thinline (not the Ultra with the sheepy), that air corrector pad that you blow up, gel, memory foam, Cashel, Wintec, etc. The two mentioned above are the only two I swear by.

My horse has his saddles professionally fitted to him, using a computerized scanning machine, but he is uber-sensitive and needs a little protection from ME. My saddle fitter is the one who did the pressure scans on the Ecogold pads after seeing mine and got curious - if you go to their website, you'll see the scans, which are quite impressive. She got me a free xc pad as a thank-you for turning her on to these, so now I own one of the xc pads as well.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Thanks very much for the feedback. Based on what I've read here and in H/J land, I think I may try an Ecogold pad. eventer_mi - I did see the scans, and that was part of what impressed me so much about the line of pads they offer.

Devoucoux used to make a similar pad to the Ecogold. Does anyone know if they are still on the market?

Another vote for the ecogold. I looked at the Ogilvy and it was very "poofy"... the Ecogold pads *say* they're breathable as well, but I've only used mine in Winter.

My mare tends to be very tight through her back, and we're seeing a world of difference with this pad! AND they have a great return policy.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

The Ecogold DOES actually do what it says it does, it's awesome and beautiful. I have both the half pad and the "secure" jumper pad. I used to use a Thinline, but the Ecogold blew it away, so the TL is in a box in the trailer somewhere now, oh well, it was free anyway.

So I'm a big fan and I am NOT a trend follower, I'm very critical of products.

So with the Ecogold pad being less poofy, do you still find it has a "cushy" effect? I think that's part of what I didn't like about the Thinline...

Yes, but it's a much denser cushion as opposed to a poofy cushion. If you order one and don't like it, you have 30 days to send it back... when I talked to them they said to actually try it out for a few days (!!) before I decided to keep it. I suspect they don't get a lot of them back...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Is everyone using them directly on your horse's back? I know that is what they say to do, but I just cant get used to it - half pad 1st, then saddle pad on top? I've been using a sheepskin half pad like this for the past week and a half - I do think my horse likes it better but it just seems so wierd... & I don't want to get such an expensive pad that dirty!

I used the Ecogold over a regular pad; I think it's only Sheepskin that's meant to go directly on your horse's back.

But I could be wrong....

Yes - Thank you Ibex, I was thinking of sheepskin pads - I was picturing the stabilizer - most of the Ecogold are advertized as non-slip so they would have to go directly on the back for that benefit. I am interested in the triple protection - it looks like this one would go between your regular pad & your saddle - all would be right with the layers in my head, but my horse does seem to like the sheepskin... I can't believe I am considering yet another high-end pad...

Well, thanks to all of you, I bit the bullet and ordered one! I called Ecogold with a few questions, and I have to say, I am so, so impressed by their customer service, both online and by phone. Lovely people!

I am a bit concerned though as to what will happen when it gets here... I borrowed an Ogilvy and jumped my horse in it today - she loved it, and just about jumped me out of the tack over the bigger oxer. If the Ecogold is even nicer for her back, I just may be put into orbit...

Thanks again for all the feedback, I really do appreciate it.

If you have any issues or questions, do contact Ecogold -- Patricia and John are wonderful and will do whatever it takes to make sure you are satisfied. And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way, LOL!

So update...how did you and your horse like the pad? I'm still procrastinating on pulling the trigger on this one.

Another big fan of the Ecogold triple protection pad. I also use the Back on Track saddle pads for my sensitive-backed horse and have noticed they both make a world of difference compared to regular pads. Good luck!