The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cudos to her for doing it, to Carl for teaching her (I like his teaching style) and to the horse for his patience. It isn't easy to ride a Grand Prix horse, not only physically, but mentally.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Remember when someone posted a clip of George Morris riding a GP horse and what a creditable job he did. Forget the actual horse, I'm ashamed to say.

Well, what a lucky lady to ride with Carl, and to have the opportunity to ride that lovely horse!

It's really nice to hear Carl give a lesson to an amateur. His teaching style is just what I would have expected: very encouraging, with great communication and little nuggets of wisdom. He worked her through her tension after the fall quite well!

Also, kudos to the rider for having a good sense of humor about the whole (humbling) experience, especially on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Remember when someone posted a clip of George Morris riding a GP horse and what a creditable job he did. Forget the actual horse, I'm ashamed to say.
    It was Catherine Haddad's Winyamaro. That was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by esdressage View Post
    It's really nice to hear Carl give a lesson to an amateur. His teaching style is just what I would have expected: very encouraging, with great communication and little nuggets of wisdom. He worked her through her tension after the fall quite well!
    Agreed.

Amazing how the REAL professional with REAL international results and REAL international horses is generous with his horse and encouraging, helpful, and nonjudgmental with his commentary, in stark constrast to some of the internet commenters getting off on ripping everyone involved down and trying to claw out some internet superiority for themselves and be Olympic caliber jerks.

I hope they're really impressed with themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Amazing how the REAL professional with REAL international results and REAL international horses is generous with his horse and encouraging, helpful, and nonjudgmental with his commentary, in stark constrast to some of the internet commenters getting off on ripping everyone involved down and trying to claw out some internet superiority for themselves and be Olympic caliber jerks.

It amazes the CRAP out of me how many people believe in the superiority of dressage. To its own detriment

There are only a few of us dressage riders at my barn but mostly it is very beginner beginner and the advanced students jump cross rails and do basic english.

I was LUNGING my horse just lunging and they all flocked over (like 5 young girls after their lessons) to see what the "dressage" lady was doing

So friggin cute! They all said my horse was the most beautiful horse they'd ever seen (my Red TB mare to them is an Olympic WB because she can hold her head in an arch ). THey ooed and awed at my horse just trotting and cantering even though it is exactly the same as their own horses she was in a magical circingle get up (a de gogue) that looks so foreign and I must have magical powers over her to get her to trot with her tail up (lol she was just full of it that day).

When they stop me at the barn I remind myself to be gracious and I always offer to help them out with their riding anytime. Their parents all tell me how their daughters dream of being a dressage rider some day cant come true because they'd never be able to afford it?

I tell them they have a horse and are paying for lessons... It would only be a personel change

You need 4 hooves and a saddle to start.. Maybe not even a saddle

My favorite dressage lesson I ever watched was a BIG BIG name trainer giving a leadline lesson to a 4 year old. She told her about draping her leg and sitting tall.. She said if the girl had been five she would have done a lunge lesson... ANd she was actually excited about it!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Agreed.

LIKE!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Agree - you have such a way with words, Meupatdoes.

I can't get the video to play.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;6126775} the only thing left to do is skip riding altogether and gripe about how everyone else is doing it wrong on the internet.[/QUOTE]

A certain bitless spiritdragon comes immediately to mind
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

What a great video! Thanks for sharing.