The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog walking/sitting/training

I am looking for a way to make some extra cash and was thinking about babysitting so I did a web search and found a website called care.com. I signed up for that then realized they also have a pet care section as well. I must admit that pets interest me a bit more than babysitting so I clicked on that.
    I found a guy looking for someone to care for his puppy that he is getting in March while he is at work and occasionally overnight while he is away. I met with him today and introduced him to my dogs and showed them how well trained they were and he was overjoyed. He put in his listing that the pay was $20-50 per hour. That seems excessive to me but I don't know what a more reasonable rate would be. He asked me and I said I didn't know but we could figure out something that works for both of us.

Puppy is coming home in March and will be 8 weeks old so max time in the crate will be 2-3 hours in the beginning. I would probably have to go there at least three if not four times per day for a while. We also discussed having him here at my house part of the time as well. So what do you guys think is a fair amount? Do I charge a flat rate per day regardless of whether he is at his house or my house or give him a discount for having him here since there is no gas involved? Charge by the trip? I do plan on doing a lot of basic training at no extra charge if nothing else but to make my life easier. I want a well behaved dog in my care.

My plan was to branch out and see if I could get several clients but heck this one dog may be enough to do the trick.

If you have any "doggy day-care" places near you, find out what they charge for day visits and overnights and set your prices accordingly. The places closest to me charge $40-$50/nights and $35/days.

I live in a very wealthy area, so prices are quite a bit higher than elsewhere. I get paid $20/hr for one dog to sit with him during the day, but his owner is extremely bonkers and wealthy to boot so she has no issue paying that. She set the price. She pays $80 for overnights.

My other dogs are $40/night and $25/night. I have a sliding scale depending on who the client is and how much trouble the dog is. It's a side job for me, not a full-time one.

A puppy is a lot more of a hassle than an adult dog, especially if you need to visit multiple times a day. Factor in your drive time/gas money into the cost also. I'm guessing it would be easier for everyone involved to just have him drop the dog off at your place for the day, at least until the puppy is old enough to be left alone for more than 2-3 hours.

The dog-walkers out here get $15/half-hour and $20/hr per walk.

Thank you, those are very good suggestions. I don't think money is an issue with this guy either but I don't want to take advantage even if it is his idea. I will research doggy daycare rates and see how it compares.

I don't think money is an issue with this guy either but I don't want to take advantage even if it is his idea.
    If he has the means and wants to pay extra, by all means take advantage of it!! You are offering something that the doggy day-care facilities aren't- personalized one-on-one attention, along with obedience training. Plus you'll be putting in the extra effort to help housebreak and crate-train the puppy for him. Factor that into the price you are charging in comparison to the day-care places.

You'll want to look into getting bonded and insured also if you aren't already, especially if you'll be going into client's homes. I haven't done so myself, as I only take care of dogs for personal friends, but if I ever take on "outside" dogs I'll be sure to cover myself.

Pet sitting rules! I wish that I was going to place my life or I could do it occasionally for extra money now I'm the person who needs a pet sitter. I had one client came into my pet store one day and asked if I could pet sit for him that night. He was my first client turned out to be my absolute best. He was out of town 30% of the time and lives close to where I worked. On average I made about $500 a month working for him, and my dog got to spend the day with over in his dogs house. I had my own room in my hand bathroom at his house. It was the best situation.
    I also had a little schipperke puppy that I used to take out during my lunch break. She was about five minutes from my work.
    Keep in mind your service is worth more than what a doggy day care can offer. I recommend not bringing any of their pets ever to your home because it's just huge liability issues. In-home pet sitting is definitely a value added service.

Beach to text has some crazy ideas of what I just said
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble