The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best synthetic tall boots?

Does anyone here have synthetic boots as a back-up or "muddy day" pair? I'm trying to find a very affordable option for my niece, and also considering a spare pair for myself on bad weather days to spare my aging effinghams.

So far the brands I've found are Saxon, Equi-Star and Tuffrider. All online of course...would love to see a pair in person before ordering but looks like that is not an option. I have several pairs of casual boots that are synthetic and look, feel and wear like leather so I'm hoping that with the advances in technology maybe synthetics won't be stiff and slippery?

I liked the Saxon tall boots so much, I bought 2 pairs when they went on sale! The wide calf fits me out of the box, and they are *SO* comfortable, I wore the first pair for hours without breaking them in.

That being said, my biggest complaint is that the synthetics are hot, and my feet and legs sweat in the summer heat ~ no worries for winter lessons, though. The boots laugh at mud, get hosed off in the wash rack, and get a wipe down with a damp rag before a schooling show.

Great balance of cost versus performance!
    Inese

That is good to know. The reviews are all over the place...people either love them or hate them. I wonder mostly if they are slippery or squeaky. Many complaints seem to be about the fit and/or them not holding up.

My niece is big for her age and really is young enough to show in paddocks and jods, but she has better luck finding breeches that fit, and she really wants tall boots. I've tried looking for used pairs at the consignment shops and on e-bay since I know she will outgrow them probably a few weeks after they arrive!

My semi-custom effinghams are a smidge over 10 years old, and while I just had a zipper installed and they look pretty spiffy, they are getting worn in some areas and I really would like a cheap back-up for muddy show days, or even for local or schooling shows so I can get as much mileage as possible out of my good boots.

My daughter has the Equi-Star tall boots. I paid $47 for them brand new, and they have been pretty decent for the price!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

I had a pair of Equi-Star paddock boots that were used only for riding, not mucking. After only 5 rides they split across the ball of the foot. I suspect that their tall boots would do the same thing.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the same horse that you got on. It's our task as riders to make sure that the difference is for the better."

I've been wearing the Saxons most of the winter, for two winters now. It's so handy to just zip them on and go, hosing them as necessary. They are quite comfortable once broken in, though of course they will not be entirely like nice, leather boots when riding. As Inese mentioned, they are warm, being synthetic, and this works for winter temps. When these wear out I'll definitely buy another pair. I always wear my leather boots in warm, dry weather, though.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Some girls on my IHSA team have Treadstone (stone, not step) synthetic tall boots. I think they're about $70 (or something like that...don't quote me!) and even up close the look like nice leather boots. The girls seem to like them, but I will say that that I only ever see the girls wear the boots at shows, so I'm not sure how they'd hold up to regular use.

You can just google Treadstone if you want see the boots!

I have a pair of the Saxons that are 10+ years old. They are pull-ons, no zipper. They look good-- I used to wear them for lessons and even show in them and no one ever said a word.

They are honestly more comfortable to ride in than my leather tall boots. I don't know if they use the same synthetic material, but the material my boots are made out of is extremely pliable and conforms to your leg like a pair of thin half chaps. Over the years the vinyl coating started breaking down and flaking off, but hey, I definitely got my money's worth.

I only ever wore them to ride, and only in lessons and shows-- I don't think they would have held up as long for daily wear around the barn.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Thanks guys. I know synthetics have come a long way over the years and I figured that while there may be drawbacks, this might be the right way to go. I think for my niece it may come down to whichever brand's measurements fit better. After she orders her pair, I can at least see what they look like and determine if I want to try the same brand.

I swear the pair of Ariats I sold a couple years ago might as well have been fake leather...that was the worst stuff I'd ever seen on a tall boot. Wouldn't take oil or polish...I thought at first maybe it was coated with wax but I think it was just bad leather.

I have a pair of Saxon synthetic boots. I haven't worn them very much, but they were comfortable when I did. The only complaint I have about them is that sometimes the zipper is a bit hard to pull up, but it's not a big deal.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding