The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking They wouldn't understand

Please feel free to add to the list!
    1. No, I didn't see the special on TV last night, I was standing in the bathtub soaking my new boots.

No, we can't come to your only daughter's wedding, we have to time cross country/ scribe/ stadium steward (feel free to add your own "special" job )

No, we can't come to dinner, we have to soak ______'s foot.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Sorry, I can't go to the winetasting dinner tonight because my daughter's pony has Potomac and needs to have her temperature taken every 2 hours and her feet check for heat and high digital pulse.

No we can't come to dinner at 5:30. I have to bring the horses in, feed, change blankets, pick feet.....

And if I invite someone for dinner at 6:30, why oh why do they show up at 5:45 to 6? I'm in the barn or trying to take a shower.

Why do people eat so early in Kentucky anyway?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Sorry, cutter99, jingles for the pony. We went through what looked like Potomac but wasn't.

I bought out the ice at the dollar store. Helpful hint though. Get used IV bags from the vet. Use to ice feet. I just taped them on...so much easier after horse decided he was NOT standing in buckets anymore. No way, no how. All 4 feet at once!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No we can't come to dinner at 5:30. I have to bring the horses in, feed, change blankets, pick feet.....

And if I invite someone for dinner at 6:30, why oh why do they show up at 5:45 to 6? I'm in the barn or trying to take a shower.

Why do people eat so early in Kentucky anyway?

They roll up the sidewalks right after and shut down the town.

But you are not alone up there, here, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

No, I can't be at your house first thing Xmas/Thanksgiving/Easter morning. Someone does have to feed, water, muck and turn out the horses. Yes, every single holiday.

No, they haven't learned to do it themselves yet.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

The sky was beautiful last night. I saw a shooting star while I was walking a colicky horse.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Sorry, cutter99, jingles for the pony. We went through what looked like Potomac but wasn't.

I bought out the ice at the dollar store. Helpful hint though. Get used IV bags from the vet. Use to ice feet. I just taped them on...so much easier after horse decided he was NOT standing in buckets anymore. No way, no how. All 4 feet at once!
    We use innertubes to soak feet.
    You stick the foot in, double the innertube so both ends are at the same height, pour the water/ice/whatever in there and tape the top.
    Horses can wiggle and even walk around in them without harm.

Sorry, we can't go to Las Vegas with the local citizens group because we have to check mares foaling and heifers calving every two hours, day and night.

Nice to meet you John Q Public. Sorry I can't shake your hand. You caught me while I was cleaning a sheath.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

People never understood that I had to go home to feed and be with my dogs either. People without pets or obligations never understand. And the fact that you really are using the dog as an excuse is irrelevant. Of course, I suspect that some people hearing you'd rather go home and scoop up after the dog or mow the lawn where the dog is so he'll be comfortable wouldn't go over so well either.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

NO, it doesn't take three days for a horse to be born. But I was up all night helping the mare foal, it's my first foal in about 20 years (and my last), and I've got lots of sick days saved up. BUT, bless your heart for asking about the birth.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

No, I can't come to the family Christmas get together because I can't find someone to come in and soak about 6 haynets for my horse with RAO (heaves), let alone any of the other farm work which includes snow plowing.

I'm willing to get together in the summer when I don't have to soak hay or plow snow-how about you?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Yes I have my animals in the house.
    First, I didn't spend 300 bucks on the dog to tie her to a tree, and then I have to let husband and son in the house, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thanks LauraKY, but it was about 10 years ago! She actually did make it through without foundering- even my vet was shocked. She always said there were two kinds of ponies- ones that have foundered and ones that are going to founder.

It was a winetasting dinner planned with two other horsey couples, and no one could believe I would stay home for a sick pony! Oh well, I was satisfied!

(On the phone) "Well, yes, I am in my kitchen, and that is a baby goat bleating..."
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I am so pleased with the appearance of horsie's manure!

What smell? Oh, that's helmet head!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Or they start calling non-stop from 5:30 to 6 pm to say how excited they are about coming over or chat or whatever. Dude, I'm running around like a crazy person right now!

Why does my mother insist on calling me at the exact same times every day? When she knows those exact same times every day I'm feeding. And then act surprised...and say "When we all had our horses this type of schedule nonsense didn't happen!" Mom, do you remember when you and my 3 sisters all bought horses it was ME who ran the barn YOU all boarded them at???? Of course YOU didn't have schedules...I was running things! You showed up to ride.

LOngSpot...I hear ya on the "Yes we still feed our animals on holidays." WTH? They still eat and crap holiday or not. Baby Jeses wasn't in a manger full of dead, starved animals surrounded by piles of manure. Someone was mucking and feeding then too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You want to come to my mid-winter schooling show? Great! But I'd rethink the peacoat, skinny jeans and cute Italian boots-
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.