The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much are you like your immediate family?

I don't mean in looks so much, but your interests and personality traits. DH really couldn't be any more different from his parents than he is. That could be due to life experiences. As far as interests go I'm much more like my aunt than anyone in my immediate family, and I only saw her once a year since we live several states away. I just think it's funny that people in families can turn out so differently from each other!

I have my father's thin, fine hair and his hazel eyes. Of course, my brother got my mother's blond hair and blue eyes,
    I have my great aunt on my father's side size and metabolism.
    We all have my grandfather's (mother) crooked little finger.
    I have my aunt's (father) sense of adventure. She was with the American Embassy in France and England WWII and in Vietnam.
    I'm afraid I have my mother's quick rise of temper, as borne by DH, if I don't watch it. He very kindly points it out most of the time and then I'm able to stop before I spout off.
    I have both my parents' dry sense of humor.

I added the physical traits bc that really sticks out in my mind.

Except of his extreme organizational skills (I am disorganized!), I'm very much like my father was and get more so every day. My mother likes it, she misses my father. My husband...not so much, he jokes about how he can't believe he married MY father.

Good that I am not like any of them.

Maybe I was adopted and not told about it?

I look very much like my Father's side of the family. I'm on the tall side for my generation, long-boned with the family deformity in my middle toes. I have, unfortunately the nose from that side of the family. I do have his love of animals and nature.

But, I'm very much afraid that, in personality, I take after my Mother's side. Worst of all, the older I get, the more resemblance I see. I'm quick tempered and judgmental (though I try to fight that constantly which is a step beyond what Mom's generation did.) The only physical things I have from that side of the family are my wavy, brown hair and eyes.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I am incredibly similar to my mother in looks, movement, likes and dislikes. Once, we were asked if we were twins by a police officer! I share my dad's temper though, quick to get hot and explosive, but then laugh at myself (which I say comes from my mom's Nordic side LOL). Both of my parents have high metabolism, got that too. My parents are also the black sheep of their families--I inherited that as well.

Now my grandma (mom's) is nothing like me or my mom. So opposite, it's like we are from different families. She has brown eyes/hair and her personality is ugh...let me just say, if she wasn't family, I would NOT hang out with her.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I'm pretty much a carbon copy of my mom, in looks and in personality. She sometimes points out physical traits that my dad and I share, but they're little things like the length of my fingers (she has shorter fingers than I do, I have my dad's longer ones). The personality I attribute to the fact that she alone raised me, so I "inherited by osmosis" a lot of her traits/interests/quirks. We both love dogs, are very crafty (she's more into cross-stiching and needlepoint/embroidery and sewing, while I'm more of a knitter/crocheter), and love reading. On the reading front, more than once we've been reading the same book at the same time, unbeknownst to each other - and we're not really bestseller readers, so they can verge on the obscure! We're both silly and snarky, too. I don't know my dad well enough to know what traits I share with him (if any), he wasn't in my life from the ages of 5-18, and we aren't super close now because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ohrebecca View Post
    I'm pretty much a carbon copy of my mom, in looks and in personality. She sometimes points out physical traits that my dad and I share, but they're little things like the length of my fingers (she has shorter fingers than I do, I have my dad's longer ones). The personality I attribute to the fact that she alone raised me, so I "inherited by osmosis" a lot of her traits/interests/quirks. We both love dogs, are very crafty (she's more into cross-stiching and needlepoint/embroidery and sewing, while I'm more of a knitter/crocheter), and love reading. On the reading front, more than once we've been reading the same book at the same time, unbeknownst to each other - and we're not really bestseller readers, so they can verge on the obscure! We're both silly and snarky, too. I don't know my dad well enough to know what traits I share with him (if any), he wasn't in my life from the ages of 5-18, and we aren't super close now because of that.
    That's really neat (the bolded part).
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Pretty much zero. I swear they found me somewhere.

Not so much in most ways except for character and overall intelligence.

My Dad was pretty serious-minded but could turn that off only with difficulty. He had only a very few interests but was very intent on those. He also loved to play baseball when he was young, which baffled me. (The only team sport I liked, hockey, interested him not at all, although when I was 10 he once took me to a college hockey game, as well as a lot of baseball games that bored me silly.)

My mother was very sociable and almost compulsively detail-oriented about too many unimportant things. She asserted how important an interest in reading was, but rarely read anything herself.

However, both were exceptionally honest and willing to work hard for whatever they really wanted which tracks closely with me. I sometimes have regretted the problems being that being punctiliously honest and refusing to outright lie have created for me over the years, but of course I have no idea what other kinds of problems shading the truth, etc., might have generated in their place.

In terms of interests and focus I never have had much in common with almost any of my relatives, though they're virtually all good honest and likeable people.

Nobody in the family at least going back to the farms my grandparents or great grandparents on all sides grew up on, ever had the slightest interest in horses or riding (unless you count my mother who fantasized as a small girl about being a bareback rider in the circus).
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Not much at the moment, without much detail, they wouldn't help me with a couple of serious life crisis. Also when they come to my state to visit they cannot make a plan with me. I tried calling and being the bigger person, but I am met with; "I'll call you right back", ony to not be called back. Ok, I am done. Its hard, but sometimes life is not perfect.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Very, very much like a fairly even combination of my parents, except the horse obsession.

I look almost exactly like my mother, and act like both, but moreso my father. He and I are so similar it's kind of crazy sometimes..we're both stubborn (sometimes bull headed) a little OCD and neither of us backs down very easily. My brother and I joke that when it comes time for us to take care of our parents, I'm going to have to deal with Dad because we're so alike and I can take the *ahem* attitude and dish it right back to him. It's made for some interesting times over the years that's for sure.

I got my sensitive/empathetic/caring side from Mom and it shows..she and I have had some moments over the years that aren't scary but we'll be thinking about the same thing/struggling with a similar issue without even knowing it, bring it up and then we're both a little shocked when the other says they were thinking about it too.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

If I didn't physically look like, sound like, and resemble my mother I would swear I was secretly adopted or switched at birth. I have zero resemblance, characteristics or anything else to my father.

Fortunately, I don't have any of my mother's emotional or behavioral traits. Actually, from exposure to her, I chose to be exactly opposite, and that's a good thing.
    Last edited by JanM; Feb. 5, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

The first time I brought my now-husband home for Christmas, every other conversation consisted of him laughing and saying something along the lines of "it all makes sense now" or "you ARE your mother's daughter". I've accepted that I am basically going to turn into my mother one day and, given that I think she's a pretty great lady, I'm ok with it . Going home for the holidays is one extended look in the mirror, since I look like my dad and act like mom. My brother is the reverse- he looks just like my mom and acts like my dad. My baby sister is a mini version of me, and the middle sister, well, we're still wondering where she came from! She acts and looks like my dad in some ways, but she's artsy and creative and a very free spirit- so unlike my attorney type-A parents and the rest of their neurotic offspring .

I'm pretty much a female version of my dad. I'm sure it has given my mom ulcers over the years

My husband, OTOH, was apparently switched at birth. He does not look like, act like, or have ANYTHING remotely in common with anyone in his immediate or extended family. It's a "WTF"? for him, and I'm just thankful

I look and act a great deal like my Daddy.

Which I don't mind a bit. He's often compared to Andy Griffith. He's got a nice touch with animals and he rode his horse just about everywhere he went until he shipped out for the Pacific in WWII.

My brother and I are often mistaken for twins. He's good with dogs and cats, too, but I got all the horse genes. He rode once on his honeymoon and that's been it for him. My late half-sister and I were very close, but she and I were nothing alike. Too bad for me! She was smart and pretty - graduated magna cum laude and was fraternity sweetheart her freshman year at Carolina. She bore a striking resemblance to Jackie Kennedy. Although she didn't really ride - she took lessons with me once for a few weeks and was good at it. She just never liked it.

My mother and I? No, nothing alike. She was short, I'm tall. She was brown-eyed; mine are blue. She was manic-depressive and afraid of her own shadow. I'm on an even keel and more of a risk-taker.

My DH is nothing like his brothers or his mother, but I'm told he's his Dad made over.
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

I think I was found on a doorstep.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

LOL, I was going to say I was found on the doorstep too.
    Nothing like either of my parents...in looks or personality.
    However...my siblings and I are all VERY similar in mannerisms, speech and personality. Our looks...haven't figured that one out. There's 6 of us. 4 of us are fair skinned, blonde hair and blue eyed. 2 of us are dark skinned, black hair and blue eyes. (we all have blue eyes, half light like my mom and half dark like my dad.) Except for the eye color, none of us look much like either parent. Not to mention both of my parents have/had red hair. Dad was a redhead and mom had dark auburn before she went grey. Also 3 of us are tall (brothers 6'1", 6'4" sister 5'11") 2 of us are average and I'm shorter than average.

But put all 6 of us in a room and everyone knows we're related as soon as we open our mouths, LOL! Once I stopped to visit my sister at work and freaked out her coworkers. Everytime I talked they'd all stop and stare at me. By voice and warped sense of humor they couldn't tell us apart. However she's got really dark olive skin, jet black hair and pale blue eyes. I'm glow-in-the-dark pale, yellow blonde hair and dark blue eyes. Features aren't even close to similar either. But even my mom can't tell us 4 girls apart on the phone.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I think I was found on a doorstep.
    I knew we had to be related somehow.