The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Perfect Prep

Would like to know people's opinions if anyone has used Perfect Prep (the tube) to make your hunter quiet? Do you think it works? I've used it before, but don't notice any difference. THanks.

we've used it, in my experience I think it takes the edge off a little bit. Won't make them "quiet" but will allow them to settle in at a show more quickly.

Well, if you give your Hunter anything that does affect it's performance? You are tecnically in violation of the drug and medication rules even if "it won't test".

Perhaps looking into solving the problem instead of masking it would be a better choice.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Well, if you give your Hunter anything that does affect it's performance? You are tecnically in violation of the drug and medication rules even if "it won't test".

Perhaps looking into solving the problem instead of masking it would be a better choice.
    I may have to make this my sig line. Than I can just blankly post it when people ask...

Agree. I have an "up" mare. She requires prep. She wants to be outside all night, get riden, ride some more, than show. My other mare is trailer to the show ring, unflappable could care less, just let me sleep!. Mare 1 is getting better w/ training and w/ exposure. Mare 2 wants to sleep in the trailer until right before ring time and go home.

"Miles makes manners"
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

What about changing a horse's feed or turning it out all night to make it quieter? That alters its performance too.

I tried Perfect Prep on my mare who gets nervous while waiting at the ring to jump or flat. After using it 3 or 4 times we decided it was actually making her worse!!!

So from my experience, it may actually do the opposite...you never know from one horse to the next!

Default Perfect Prep Extreme

Here are the ingredients in Perfect Prep Extreme.

Tryptophan, magnesium carbonate, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, glycerin, silica gel, soybean oil and coconut oil.

I have found it to have good results with most horses. Go ahead a try a tube and see what you think?

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post

Tryptophan
    Just feed your horse turkey before you go in the ring..

1 members found this post helpful.

We use the Perfect Prep Extreme, and the Gold now? I think its Gold, well either way on the horses that we have used it on it helped out a lot! You can also try the Training Day formula which is like a daily supplement, then you buy the tube and give it to them as a boost to the supplement!

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    I may have to make this my sig line. Than I can just blankly post it when people ask..."
    X2
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I used it once just to see if it helped - it did not do anything for us. His adrenaline far outweighed any effect.

I don't know about the OP - but I didn't try it to take the place of more miles and training, just to see if it would chill his a$$ out while we were accumulating miles and training. (This horse is dead quiet at home.)

It can help, for sure. But you need to time it. 90 minutes to 2 hours out. During that time you cant 'stimulate' them. So giving it and then riding, lunging, or generally doing anything to get their adrenaline up, pretty much negates its effect.

It just makes them take a breath. It wont make a hot one quiet.

I love me some Perfect Prep Extreme. I was a n00b with a naughty green pony who didn't trailer well (she was in an accident before I got her) and didn't wear out quickly. PP made everything much more enjoyable. One tube (which we eventually got down to just 1/4 tube for trailering purposes) would make her a perfect little hunter pony for the day. She was on her way to not needing it anymore, but I got a new horse.

It seems PP works great for some horses and has no effect whatsoever on others. Just try it; that's the best way to find out.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris