The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fleeceworks Perfect Balance 1/2 pad - Which rear inserts

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum! I have a (hopefully) quick question.

I have an extremely high-withered Perch/TB X, and I'm going to get the Fleeceworks PB half pad. What I'm trying to figure out is which rear insert to get. According to their website, they have 2: the Visco Rear Insert & the Plus Foam Rear Insert.

I'm trying to get the most lift possible, so my saddle sits flat instead of tilted back. Any ideas? I've done some research on google, but haven't found anything really definitive. I was hoping someone might have some ideas!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

First, I don't love the Fleeceworks pad set up (and I know this doesn't answer your question really, sorry). I found that the foam they use compresses down to pretty much nothing. I much prefer the Thinline line of fitter pads (I have the Sheepskin one) if you've got to get a shimmable pad. However, I'm also seriously considering the Ecogold line of pads after reading reviews on here, so you might want to check them out too. I know of all the sheepskin shimmable pads, Fleeceworks is one of the slightly cheaper options (I used to have one) but I found that it also did not hold up well. I had mine less than a year, fairly light use, and it practically disinegrated in that time.

Second, you say your horse is high withered...if its sitting low in the back makes me wonder if the saddle might be too tight around the wither/shoulder, therefore making the pommel seem higher?

I looked at the Thinline & Ecogold sites, but they didn't seem to have much in the line of shimming. Regarding the Fleeceworks pad, I currently use my trainer's and she's had hers for forever. Her foam has definitely squished, but I don't mind replacing it every once in awhile as it's not too expensive. The pad itself is the pricey part.

I've had my trainer and our CWD rep check the fit and it seems to not be pinching anywhere, it just rests at a significant downward angle on his back. I know i want to get the same pad as my trainer, I just wasn't sure which of the 2 shim options would be best.

Thank you for your comments though!!

sorry what I meant by compressing down to nothing was not in reference to the longevity of the foam, but what happens when its under the saddle. So essentially, I found it to do pretty much nothing in the shimming department, other than look like it corrected the problem when I wasn't sitting in the saddle. But as soon as I sat in the saddle, everything got squished down.

If your saddle is that pommel high/cantle low, something isn't right. Might not be pinching, but it also sounds like it might not be something any/all the shims in the world can fix. Shimming is really only for minor tweaks-I wouldn't use it for an obviously ill fitting saddle.

according to this website only one is a rear riser ... (the closed cell foam version) - the soft, squishy ones are just supposed to provide "comfort" without doing any actual "shimming".

I also much prefer the Thinline shims.
    I have a Fleeceworks PB & found the pockets didn't really hold the shim where I needed a shim held (ie it slipped around in there); otherwise the pad is excellent quality sheepskin & the stitching is durable etc, the pad has been washed several times & looks like new after every wash.

I don't like that Thinline has made their version non-washable as I place the sheepskin against the horse (he has very sensitive skin) - I do prefer their shims & pocket design

Hmm, I looked at the Thinline again, and it looks like the thickest shim they have is only 1/4", where as the Fleeceworks one is 1/2-3/4". The question then, is whether the Fleeceworks shims will squish down to about the same thickness as KateKat had said.

Also, to aleviate any concerns, I will take another look at the fit of the saddle on him. The last thing I want is an unhappy horse!

You can double up on the Thinline shims...I do that on one side due to some slight assymmetry by my horses shoulder.

Also, when did the sheepskin thinline become unwashable? I've washed mine plenty of times with no issues as I also use the sheepskin directly against my horse.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Also, when did the sheepskin thinline become unwashable? I've washed mine plenty of times with no issues as I also use the sheepskin directly against my horse.
    From their care FAQ:

Washing Sheepskin—Pads should only be washed when absolutely necessary, which should only be about 2-3 times in it’s lifespan
    This has also appeared on their label for at least a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    When they discontinued the Thinline Saddle Fitter (from which you could remove any Thinline since all the Thinline was on the shims) and went with just the Sheepskin Comfort Half Pad, where the Thinline is built in.

That said, I'd imagine you could delicate-wash a Sheepskin Comfort Half Pad with a mild detergent and not hurt the Thinline padding.

My trainer owns a set of the Fleeceworks shims, and they do compress a fair bit. I'm pretty sure she's got the Visco set. They sit around unused since I talked her into buying a Thinline Saddle Fitter pad just like mine.

LOVE my Thinline. I double up on shims in the back to make the saddle flat and help the pommel stop rubbing me so badly. However, my new CWD came today () so I might not need the shims anymore. I will, however, keep using the Thinline because it's fantastic quality.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris