The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What other passion are you supporting?

I guess most of us here because of our love for horses. I would say passion, but these days I am so tired I don't feel passion for much

But for the other halves of our lives, be it husband, wife, SO, whatever, what are their passions that you are supportive of?

My husband's is music. He has always had a job that requires a lot of travel, and he has always played music, but about five years ago he decided to try to invest in his passion and really make a go of it. We built a studio in the house and he spends a great deal of his spare time writing and producing music. I have really enjoyed watching him explore his creative side--not to mention being in awe of his talent

He has had some success, two international commercials, and one of his songs has been placed in an upcoming episode of Californication. I am so proud of him
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

My husband is addicted to show pigs. Yes, people actually show pigs. We currently have 17 of them with piglets due any minute!

The good news is his feed bill makes my horses look cheap! The bad news is I know this will be a lifelong addiction with no 12 step rehab program that I am aware of. He is 48 years old and even has a PhD in swine reproduction, or as my gynecologist told his nurse, "You'll never believe what this guy does for a living- he's a doctor of pig f*****g!"

Baseball.

Hubby played in college when we first met. Hubby played pro thereafter. Hubby has grown older and better and has segued into softball. (Baseball with beer! How can you beat that?!)

Far cheaper than horses for sure, but it is an occasional time-sucker.

Our kids ride and play ball.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
    He has had some success, two international commercials, and one of his songs has been placed in an upcoming episode of Californication. I am so proud of him
    Congratulations! That is awesome!

My DH is also a musician. He plays all of the Woodwinds, except the Bassoon. Saxophone is his main axe, jazz his genre. His second passion is computers, which is also his career.
    When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

Cars. Rat rods and hot rods mainly but he will sometimes work on the newer stuff. He built a 52 chevy pickup from modifing the frame, putting in airbags that make it go from slammed on the ground to riding up at normal height, and everything else inbetween. It was pretty cool. He loves going to car shows and we go to daytona, multree, and everywhere else inbetween. He owns an auto upholstery company and that is how we met. I also love cars so it works out. Id rather see a restored 34 ford then a rat rod though. Just my thoughts on that.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Besides my horses (2 - 1 just coming into work), I have a BC I compete in Obedience and Agility (and she does stock work on the farm and takes me for good long walks) - and just starting tracking training and "paws to music" (we do this to Dire Straits "Twisting by the Pool" as it really really suits her ). I have also just got a new BC puppy - she is now 5 months old and has started her obedience training. Today, the puppy started learning the out-reach for weave training - it will be used for agility but the concept is useful for obedience in for example in her sende-aways.

Theater & Musical Theater!

Airplanes! He has a lancair 360. We have a don't ask, don't tell policy regarding our respective hobbies' expenses. LOL. That seems to work well.
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com
    www.xhaltsalute.com

No, I didn't realize people show pigs. But it actually sounds fun
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Skiing (both of us), music and photography for my husband. He plays bassoon mostly, but can play almost anything. He is finally getting back into it and I love it! He also loves photography, but the old-school kind where he develops his own film. I'm sure that we'll have to construct him a darkroom once we buy a house. Oh well, compared to horses and skiing (if you don't live close to the mountains), his other hobbies are cheap!

Travel for both of us and for DH is restoring and drag racing old trucks
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Music. I was a music performance major in college, and am hoping to go on to grad school in performance if I can get my tendonitis improved. Actually, before I ever bought a horse, I bought my professional model flute - which cost far, far, far more than my first (and current) horse cost.

I'm also hugely passionate about writing. I'm a freelance writer, and am also a poet. I've won a number of writing awards and had my poetry published in many journals and anthologies. So those are the three areas of my life: horses, writing, and music.
    The Equine Insider - Providing news, tips, product reviews, and a Small Business Barn to keep you up to date in the equine world.
    Follow us on Facebook.

DH's is music. He's an Americana/Folky/Texas country singer/song-writer. He has one CD out (produced by a fantastic, award-winning producer). Sadly, his scientist job keeps him busy and he hasn't been writing much. But two years ago, he wrote 52 songs - one a week for a year. I need to encourage him to get back to writing as it makes him happy.

I have no musical talent at all, but I LOVE being around musicians. I LOVE sitting out with friends chatting, eating and drinking and listening to Mr. CGJ play and sing.

And I admit that in the spring and fall, I love riding in our makeshift arena in front of the house while he sits on the porch and plays and sings!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

My boyfriend's is music. He was on the road for years as a touring musician in a 5-piece band. But thankfully after all these years, he's kind of toned it down. His band broke up last year too, so we got a nice reprieve. I was super supportive of him and his hobby for years.

And unlike my expensive hobbies, his actually brought in cash.

My husband builds remote control airplanes. he loves it.

I raise field bred Springer Spaniels for hunting, and we both bird hunt every fall. We also both hunt deer and fill our freezer.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Bringing back Bobwhite Quail.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Cars... not just any cars... Nissan 300zx (90-96). We currently have 3... yes 3 of these cars, along with our regular daily driver cars. Hubby can't complain about my riding though as he spends equal amounts of time and money on the cars. One is the keeper... will have to pry it from his cold dead hands, but the other two are for sale... and he still wants to get a totally new engine for the keeper to the tune of about $10k if he did it the way he really wants to.

Photography and music.
    I take pictures of my son's band
    DH loves to cook, so I have to eat, too.
    I am passionale about my stories, too, but don't seem to have much time these days to actually write them down outside the month of November.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

DH and I both are into SCUBA diving. He is an instructor. I am a Divemaster. We take and lead several trips a year.

DH is also very into Search & Rescue with his GSD. They are members of the Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department (where he and his dog last year won the coveted Fire Chief's Heritage Award for their work in finding remains after several major fires). He and his dog are also members of Texas Task Force One and respond to disasters all over the world. It takes a great deal of time (and money) but he loves it and I find it not only fascinating, but worthwhile.

I also breed and show Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and really enjoy working with the dogs.

I also enjoy and do quite a lot of photography as well and have had several photos published in both calendars and magazines, but I don't really take it seriously enough to spend much time marketing. I do it mostly as a creative outlet.

And finally, I absolutely LOVE the techie end of computers. I love learning new programs, coding websites, and would love to have enough time to really get into development (but will never have time to learn proper coding techniques for that. Computers intrigue me (and also p*ss me off daily).
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Default It's a toss up

I find myself hard pressed to pick which is more fun - galloping up a hill or skiing down one ! I am a bit of a speed junkie I think. My dream job would be to move out west and teach ski wee school in the winter and wrangle dudes in the summer. Should have done so right after college, simply not affordable or age appropriate anymore.