The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Polo Wraps vs Sport Boots

I have been a polo wrap user for a LONG time, and am fairly good at putting them on (not perfect, but they usually look pretty decent). I am however seriously thinking about switching to sport boots to make life easier for the trainer, barn help, etc., esp. since I cannot get to the barn except on weekends these days.

Does anyone have recommendations for good sport boots? We use Dover boots for turn-out - could those also be used when riding? Main drawback as I see it to sport boots is they don't cover and protect the back of the fetlock as well as polo wraps.

Comments?

Depends on your preference.... and horse....I chose to use SMB elites if I use boots because my horse is a big mover and can clip the back of his legs where the splint boots don't reach. I know some people don't like them. I also use polos, or lately nothing since there is so much mud.

I've never liked the idea of fleece padded boots that can get sand in them. I guess unless I was doing lateral work I wouldn't feel the splint boots provide much benefit.

does he NEED boots/wraps?

I use the smb's - never ride my horse without leg protection. I like the smbs because they go around the fetlock

Some of the best wearing boots I've ever had are Bar-F boots. The pair that I have were new in 1995 and have had hard use. A few of the straps have been replaced and they aren't used off the farm (too shabby looking) but are super for every day protection.

We also use the ASB boots for most of the horses. Good quality, fairly durable and easy to clean if you don't mind some Ivory soap, a scrub brush and hose. Dressage or jumping - they've been fine for our needs. We have a few pairs still in circulation from when Wally came to use in 2004 and newer white ones do very well for clinics and show warm up.

I am a fan of polos but find either the BarF or ASB offer better protection of the fetlock and splint bones and are a whole lot easier to put on/take off. If your horse(s) don't interfere and you're not doing lots of lateral work - then polos are fine.

I was a polo groom for 4 summers growing up, so low maintenance is always a factor in my opinion. Boots are much faster than polos - even with a bit of scrubbing now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    does he NEED boots/wraps?
    Yes, good question. If he's not forging or hitting himself while learning his laterals, all boots will do is produce too much heat on the leg, not a good situation.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the same horse that you got on. It's our task as riders to make sure that the difference is for the better."

I used polos until I had a hip replacement and this made getting down to put them on more difficult. I use Woof boots (the ones with two straps not four) and they are great. Easy to clean, easy to use, dry well.

I LOVE these boots, the Equilibrium Stretch & Flex flatwork wraps:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/equilib...akxw552dl4wwit
    Quick to put on, cool on the legs, and can take a few knocks. Have been using the same pair going on 5 years now, with just a couple of small holes.

They do make a version that goes all the way around the leg and under the fetlock, probably cooler than SMBs:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/stretch...akxw552dl4wwit

The DSB2 are my personal favorite boot out of the DSB1, DSB2, ASB, Professional's Choice, Dover, and Euro Pro. Most reinforced and best quality in my opinion.
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/dressa...s-2-2395p.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    I LOVE these boots, the Equilibrium Stretch & Flex flatwork wraps:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/equilib...akxw552dl4wwit
    Quick to put on, cool on the legs, and can take a few knocks. Have been using the same pair going on 5 years now, with just a couple of small holes.
    I use those as well. Love them! I have a set of Ventech and also tried the Equilibrium ones that go around the fetlock, but maresy hated them. Really, really hated them

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Like polos, but as I age they become more difficult.

I don't like boots except for the stretch and flex wraps but they are pricey.

Classic Equine? I think they make the wraps that I use for everyday. They are made like boots out of polo material and come in a lot of colors and three sizes. THey are washable which is a plus all around.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Polos--when put on properly are not just for dings they also protect and SUPPORT tendons and ligaments. This is important at the more collected levels of work or if the footing is not ideal- deep or slippery
    . Boots are wonderful and quick to use. If your horse is not doing prolonged periods of intense collection and footing is good, then they are great
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

The stretch and flex are my favorite for boots once I bit the bullet and spent the money on them. Legs are never hot underneath them and they don't get sand in them the way the fleece boots can.

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I assume the prices shown on the links are for one pair - correct?

Is there a risk of getting the Equilibriums too tight? And do they REALLY help keep the legs cool? I hate using polos or even the fleece lined boots in the hot summer, but the trainer wants something on their legs for protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Marydell View Post
    Polos--when put on properly are not just for dings they also protect and SUPPORT tendons and ligaments.
    This has been shown time and time again to be false. In fact, as you work, polos stretch and get looser. Look up the loading forces on a horse's leg. No piece of neoprene, fleece, velcro or whatever can provide meaningful support. Can we please stop spreading this myth?

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I assume the prices shown on the links are for one pair - correct?

Is there a risk of getting the Equilibriums too tight? And do they REALLY help keep the legs cool? I hate using polos or even the fleece lined boots in the hot summer, but the trainer wants something on their legs for protection.
    I don't know anything about Equilibriums, but I use Eskadron Climatex liners underneath polos and they're designed to keep legs cool, and add a layer of protection under the polos as well. http://www.smartpakequine.com/eskadr...ers-7802p.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    This has been shown time and time again to be false. In fact, as you work, polos stretch and get looser. Look up the loading forces on a horse's leg. No piece of neoprene, fleece, velcro or whatever can provide meaningful support. Can we please stop spreading this myth?
    Yes, yes, yes. Articles in HORSE JOURNAL have shown that neither boots nor wraps afford ANY support. They are meant for protection, only, and most horses don't even need them.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the same horse that you got on. It's our task as riders to make sure that the difference is for the better."

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Yes.

And God save the poor animals' legs from neoprene boots!!

When a horse is, young and inexperienced i feel it is essential to bandage or wrap legs (i sometimes bandage and i sometimes wrap using veredus piaffe boots).
    Young horses can get in a tangle or give more then their balance allows so have some sort of knock protection is valid.

With an advanced horse it is not so necessary as they have balance and strength and control, but every horse can lose balance and trip occasionally so why take the risk?

As for support, i dont know but i would think they would offer a small amount, whether its sufficient to make a difference who knows, horses cant tell us.

One benefit though is passive warm up, especially in colder months. Warm legs are less prone to injury.

I'm a dedicated Eskadron fan of the splint-boot version, not the kind that wrap all around the fetlocks. Also, i use the rear boots. Easy on and off and great protection. My horse's legs are not hot when i take them off. Also, they have served a good use over the years as the protection pads are nicely scraped . I've had mine for 10 years and am now using on horse #3. They hold up well!

I use the polos in cold weather and SMBs in the summer or of course when crosstraining over fences.

Basically, if I am training new material, I boot or wrap up. BUT when I am prepping for a show, unless it is cold out, I dont because I cant at the show....

It also depends on the horse. I have a green 7 year old TB mare that is very careful and she did her first true shoulder-in yesterday - usually I just ask for shoulder-fore and otherwise am just developing her muscles and doing stretchy work. She wasnt booted or wrapped. She is very careful - I was not concerned.

I have a QH that is high in the neck and very baroque built for a QH but he bangs his legs when doing lateral work while he is learning - he is a bit careless. So he gets all wrapped up!