The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Celiac sufferers -- what were your symptoms

Am wondering whether I might have it.

And yes, I have contacted my doctor about taking the initial blood test. Now if I could only find the time to make the appointment!

I don't have celiac but I am sensitive to gluten. My symptoms were being incredibly gassy and other digestive upsets. After I gave up gluten for a few months, my joint pain has pretty much gone away (and it came back when I had some cake over the holidays!), and just this past week I've noticed the Reynauds in y feet has also gone away. (I didn't think that could happen!).

A friend of mine is a gastroenterologist, and he has his patients tested through Prometheus labs. Besides testing to see if you have antibodies to gluten in your blood, they also do a genetic analysis to see if you have the genes for celiac.

I suspected my son might be gluten intolerant, and had my pediatrician run the tests from Prometheus. She had never heard of them, which is why I'm mentioning it to you. I'm no celiac expert, but I got the impression that this was one of the best labs for celiac out there.

(My son turned out not to have antibodies or the genes)

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I don't have celiac but I am sensitive to gluten. My symptoms were being incredibly gassy and other digestive upsets. After I gave up gluten for a few months, my joint pain has pretty much gone away (and it came back when I had some cake over the holidays!), and just this past week I've noticed the Reynauds in y feet has also gone away. (I didn't think that could happen!).
    Ayup. Pretty much the same for me. Also, bloating. Ugh.

When I cut out wheat, I lost 10 pounds in a week. Think that was nearly all due to the bloating going away.

My Raynauds is about the same, though, before or after wheat.