The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Irish bred IRISH horses

http://www.independent.ie/farming/ne...d-3003916.html

Ireland is taking some steps to see that the traditional Irish sport horse as traditionally bred survives the WB onslaught.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thanks for highlighting this Viney. This has been a major feature lately on my Breeders Group and with these meetings. I think about it often as with my TB mare I'm not limited with what I can choose. While I'm pretty sure I won't breed this year I have a performance tested and jumped in Germany Connemara in the back of my mind. I'd really like to see what my Irish TB mare can cross with a Connie. I just need to be sure I can ensure that I have the 5 years from conception to do the baby justice. Taking what I know in what my mare gives me, this would probably be a nice cross. Stella's now 2yo looks likely to go the eventing route by his owners so who knows. Just adding the 2yo is not broken and has a couple of years doing nothing just in case someone reads something else into that!

But in the other side of the coin is that people want Irish horses or Traditionals on the cheap. People can breed and produce nice solid Irish horse's for 2500 euros at 5 years of age. It's a catch 22. People want the safe do everything for you Traditional and yet don't want to pay for it. I mean if you look at full Draught sales the prices are just ridiculous. Then you look at the horses topping sales and you see the warmblood names so people think well why am I doing what I'm doing.

Anyway food for thought.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

That should read, CAN'T produce horses for 2500 euros at 5 years of age!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.