The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses evicted from new stabling at GDF

Anyone know the back story on this?

From dressage-news.com:

Extra drama was added to the $50,000 Wellington Dressage CDI-W when a local government inspector ordered about 50 horses to be moved from new stables that had won rave reviews from riders. Organizers erected temporary tent stabling.

What is wrong with the new stabling that caused the inspector to close it down?

My guess is safety related. Depending on what the municipalities zoning or building requirements are, perhaps this structure failed to meet them.
    "Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is." Sir Winston Churchhill

If I was going to guess I would say electrical violations
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Construction is a pain in the butt, however... this is really kind of ridiculous. They did not get the occupancy permit before letting in horses?? Dumb.

My guess, with too much experience dealing with "the city", is there is no actual safety issue, but something didn't meet code or something went unpaid.

They can ask for absolutley stupid, silly, and costly things because the rules have to cover everybody in every situation even when it makes absolutely no sense for 99% of projects.

Did it have anything to do with the local "Alliance" vs. Global Dressage Festival?

Word on the grounds yesterday was that it was the war of the "show managements".
    Do not know about that but the one thing that was said that made sense was that one of the permits had not been finalized before Friday, so out they( the horses) went.
    I will say the management did right by the competitors. They erected the tent quickly, put in the bedding free of charge and will give the competitors vouchers for free stabling at the next show. At least that was what I was told when I asked why the barns were empty. They are realllllllly nice barns!!!!
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Didn't they have some huge disaster down there with tents collapsing, etc., some years ago? Also, there is all that rigamarole with that Polo Club guy that adopted his girlfriend to shelter money...this last week.

Probably just building permit stuff...

This situation is just a bunch of back biting between the "Alliance" and "Equestrian Village". Nothing more or less. Please do not make this a "safety" issue. It was NOT.
    www.marydellfarm.com

It was not a war between show managements. That rumour was being circulated with conviction and these kind of unsubstantiated rumours can really hurt people!

You will notice I said Alliance v Equestrian Village. That the management thing was rumor on the grounds.
    It was NOT a safety issue is what I want to make clear. I was in the barn and saw what asuper facility it is
    www.marydellfarm.com

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks, MH. I figured it was because all the permits had not been issued in time - maybe hung up by the political bickering going on down there between developers/promoters of GDF and the neighborhood Alliance trying to stop some of the development.

Also, there is all that rigamarole with that Polo Club guy that adopted his girlfriend to shelter money...this last week.

The above refers to a man who caused a fatality while driving UTI and this person has nothing to do with what played out at the dressage show over the weekend.

Carry on!

I would like to thank the people who stepped up to the plate and filled in for the scribes and other positions when my locals felt they could not participate without fear of loss of income from future jobs! Bravo
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Agreed. Volunteers are pricelss.
    www.marydellfarm.com